Houzz Logo Print
deanadanand4boys

Need help deciding exterior color for our 80's house. Advice?

deanadanand4boys
vor 6 Jahren

Kommentare (19)

• deanadanand4boys
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

The roof will not be getting replaced for several years. Want to add shutters, gables to peeks, and some kind of architectural element over the front door.

• deanadanand4boys
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Nice! Do you think I should add molding around the windows or just shutters?

• PRO
    Perfect Match Homes
    vor 6 Jahren

I am assuming that the wooden siding is staying as well - when choosing your color look for colors with a beige undertone towards the red side rather than a white undertone. Sherwin Williams Shoji White 7042 or Benjamin Moore OC9 Ballet White, these would give a great contrast to the existing colors.

• deanadanand4boys
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

I really hate the color it is (I feel it dates it) and would love to paint the cedar siding. My first choice is a creamy white, but my husband and I cannot agree.

• PRO
    PPF.
    vor 6 Jahren

Shutters would look odd on your house.

What is/are "gables to peeks"?

Are you thinking about painting the entire house?

What part of the house is the front (faces the street)?

• My House
    vor 6 Jahren

Shutters? I don't think you need them, to be honest. Widen the Windows with wide trim all around.

When I see the house, the front door is shadowed. I would like to open the area by expanding it out and up- like pergola photo.

More window ideas:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/123637952247325940/

• deanadanand4boys
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

This is the "front" of the house. I took the picture at the bottom of our driveway. It is up on a hill in a cul-de-sac. To stand in the absolute front of the house, I'd have to stand in the neighbor's driveway. The color of the trim around the windows, I cannot change. They are a light gray/brown, if that makes sense. If I added trim around the windows with shutters, would that work? I feel the windows are just lost.

• PRO
    PPF.
    vor 6 Jahren

Your house is all siding and roof. Painting, especially a lighter color will just reinforce this.

Cedar does better with stain instead of paint too.

• deanadanand4boys
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

So, are you saying you would go with a darker color stain then? How about a dark burnt red?

• PRO
    PPF.
    vor 6 Jahren

Consider the left side of the house. One window you barely see, surrounded by a mass of cedar. Do you want to call attention that that one window?

A couple of trees on the left side, and one or two between the street and house, planted when the house was built would would have helped.

• PRO
    PPF.
    vor 6 Jahren

I could go with a dark red. It would blend in with the trees.

Consider talking with a good painter about they can do, and what it will cost.

• deanadanand4boys
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Thank you. Our well along with it's lines throughout the front of the property prevents a variety of trees to be planted. Thanks again.

• emoree
    vor 6 Jahren

I totally agree with ppf that shutters don't go with your house. It is a more contemporary style, I'd embrace that. I also think shutters would make your windows look even smaller. The idea of adding wide trim could work.

Can you post some more pictures from different sides and distances (some closer up)?

• deanadanand4boys
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

I understand what ppf is saying about the shutters as well. How about if I added wide trim, shutters, and gables? Such as this picture to the 3 peeks?

• deanadanand4boys
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Here are some different angles.
  • My House
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

Forgive me, but you seem determined to have shutters. That's fine- your house. Several here have suggested wider trim to the outside of your windows to enlarge your windows. It has a similar effect as shutters by dressing the window, but it opens the window all around. Example 1) below is not painted yet. 2) stained

• My House
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

Can you extend your front porch to run along the garage wall? It will open your front entrance, make it more inviting, and give the door more prestige in scale to the rest of the house. Get rid of the planter that's there. Re-route the walkway.

• deanadanand4boys
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Yes! Thats exactly what is in the works!
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.