Houzz Logo Print
lianne_mcmahan

"Premium White Quartzite" - granite or quartzite? Durability?

Lianne McMahan
vor 6 Jahren

I went to the local granite warehouse to see a slab of Cambria Quartz "Whitney" (white background with consistent grey flecks, and lots of gorgeous sparkling mica flakes)... and then walked by a slab of the most gorgeous, amazing material. I thought it was a marble but it was labeled "Quartzite, White Premium". I can't find anything exactly similar in photos that is named the same thing.

Does anyone know is this true quartzite, is it durable (comparable to granite at least), etc? I know it won't be as durable as the Cambria quartz, but the quartzite will be about $1000 less for my installation than the Cambria, and man is it just beautiful!

Kommentare (18)

• Lianne McMahan
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

So after reading that loooong thread linked, it looks like this "Premium White" slab is the same as "Super White"... which is actually not a quartzite, but a dolomitic marble, and susceptible to staining and etching, just like marble :-(

Oh well. I don't want to deal with being super careful of my countertops, or with yearly, or more, sealings. I cook often with tomatoes, lemons, vinegar, and I think the inevitable etching would bother me, even if the surface were honed.

So I'll be sticking with my first choice of Cambria Whitney. I do love it.

• Claire Pope
    vor 6 Jahren

I saw some beautiful Super White and the slab warehouse swears it is Quartzite so I will be taking a glass tile to see if it scratches and may sneak in a lemon slice

• M E
    vor 6 Jahren

We got samples of all surfaces we were interested in. We put everything on each sample that we use on a regular basis. Lemon juice, mustard, ketchup, juice etc. left it for at least 24 hours. The marble of course did absorb most of the samples. The quartzite did not. Can't speak for wine because we did not test that since we don't drink if your not sure try the stain test and then make your decision

• Claire Pope
    vor 6 Jahren

The warehouse has no samples, wondering if my fabricator can get me some. I will be buying 5 slabs so hopefully I can get some cooperation

• Laura Mac
    vor 6 Jahren

If it speaks to you, get it! And if they are claiming it as a 'quartzite', it will be stronger than granite. 'Quartz' would never be as beautiful as real stone...ever!

• PRO
    Econ Granite
    vor 6 Jahren

Quartzite is a very hard durable stone. We are stone fabricators and I can tell you first hand quartzite is a great option for your kitchen! If you want to check out other natural options for kitchen countertops visit.

https://econgranite.com/materials/

• PRO
    Stone Boutique
    vor 6 Jahren

We second the support for Quartzite! Natural beauty and durability, you get the best of both worlds!

• Jules M
    vor 6 Jahren

What did you decide? That is one gorgeous stone! I got one very similar and was told it was quartzite as well. It doesn’t stain but it does etch, so looks like mine is the Dolomitic marble instead. I do baby it a little, but I love it!

• Lianne McMahan
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

That's beautiful!
    I did not want the risk of staining or etching, and have loved the Cambria Whitney since I first saw it, so I ended up going with the quartz.
    It looks ahhhmazing, so for me, it was the right choice.

• my1gmail
    vor 6 Jahren
    Beautiful material. If you choose something with such strong veining, make sure you go to the fabricator and work with them so you have a definite understanding of where the seams will be, how the corners will match up, how will your sink be placed, will there be seams in front of a cook top, how will any overhang be supported, etc. We have seen post after post from Houzzers who selected their slab(s), put the layout in the hands of the fabricator, and then were devastated when the installation was complete but looked nothing like what they were dreaming of. Always, always participate in this part of the process!
  • PRO
    KHB Interiors
    vor 6 Jahren
    It's gorgeous but know the maintenance. Nothing man made comes close to this beautiful.

Best of luck !

KHB Interiors in New Orleans

Please do me a huge favor and follow us on Houzz!

https://www.houzz.com/khbinteriors
    KHB Interiors in New Orleans
  • Kathy DiStefano
    vor 6 Jahren

Is this stone a true white or more of an ivory white?

• Janell
    vor 3 Jahren

M E I’m not sure if you check in on this board still, but could you tell me the name of your white quartzite? We are building a new home and I’ve been searching for a white quartzite with minimal veining...I too, love the look of marble but don’t want to deal with the higher maintenance. Thank you!

• Erin Crook
    vor 3 Jahren

Janell, I’m looking for same, have you signs anything? I fell in love with a marble today but common sense tells me not to get it despot the beauty!

• M E
    vor 3 Jahren

Erin, Sorry for the late reply. Just saw this. I don't view this site often since our new build is complete. The quartzite in the pics I posted is called white rhino. It was purchased in michigan in 2013. Hopefully this helps if it is not too late.

• Olga S.
    vor 2 Jahren

where did you found this slab. Is beautiful!

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.