Houzz Logo Print
finesseramirez

Please help ! Redecorating a very small old apartment!

Danielle Fig
vor 6 Jahren
I have been trying to figure out a way to keep the living room spacious yet organized with all of my daughters toys. I wanted to create a small work space so I purchased a small desk and thought of IKEA shelves my issue is the layout of the furniture and TV. I'm trying to transition into white furniture to brighten the room. The dreadful carpets make me hate this place all together. I don't know how to make my Vision work. Please help !

Kommentare (13)

• Danielle Fig
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    O
  • apple_pie_order
    vor 6 Jahren

Draw a floor plan. What is your question?

• latifolia
    vor 6 Jahren

Is this a rental or do you own it?

• Danielle Fig
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    My question is how to arrange furniture so it looks more spacious as well as modern decor to brighten the room
  • Danielle Fig
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    I thought the same about covering the toys with a curtain but I'm not so sure about it
  • Danielle Fig
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    I rent
  • JoAnn
    vor 6 Jahren
    Help! I'm losing what little of my mind is left.
  • PRO
    Seldens Furniture
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi Danielle,

To brighten the room how about a bright modern canvas hung above your sofa? If you are able to invest in a storage cabinet with doors, or partial doors, that would also be helpful. Good luck!

ELK Group Manhattan Sky Tryptich, 3-Piece Set · Mehr Info

Skyline Bunching Bookcase · Mehr Info

Sunset Point Bunching Bookcase · Mehr Info

ELK Group Plaid Side Chest · Mehr Info

• PRO
    User
    vor 6 Jahren

Hey there!

Easy fix for the toy issue: matching baskets in place of the bins:

Whatever material! As long as they're lasting. I would suggest black for your space.

I would replace the curtains with blinds so they don't take up too much space and open up the wall a bit.

In terms of art, I think either big large framed posters would look best behind the sofa. OR if you can be really adventurous, I can see one wall of all oversized print wall paper:

We also recently put up a blog with some more design trends that might help spark some inspiration: Unique Living Room Ideas To Update Your Look

If you need a certified, next day Handyman to help you out, let us know! We'd love to help.

• restart
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi Danielle,

I think someone else mentioned drawing up a floor plan. That might help figure out the best placement for your furniture. It also helps to begin removing things from in front of the window and other items you don't need. In other words, take out the clutter to open up the space and let more natural light in. That wee bit of effort will brighten things up in no time. Since you have not yet given any dimensions of the space or an idea of how large (or small) it is, that makes giving suggestions on furniture arrangement a little tough. One thing I can say about making small rooms work though is to break it up in groups - perhaps one part of the room for living/conversation/guests, the other part for kid's activities/crafts/office.

• katinparadise
    vor 6 Jahren

Danielle, are you still there? May I ask how old your daughter is? Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would ask you to consider going through your daughter's toys and trying to purge. I'm seeing what looks like an overwhelming amount of toys for 1 child. Try to get an idea of what she really plays with on a regular basis and give away or donate probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the toys. I found that when my kids were younger, they really never played with more than 4 or 5 special toys and the rest sat unused. Organizing the rest with baskets or behind a curtain will help eliminate the visual clutter and I think you'll start to feel better about the space. Bright artwork, pillows and an area rug will help bring your vision to life. Do you have a budget for art and accessories?

• PRO
    Contempo Space
    vor 6 Jahren
    Use one of these wall units to add a lot of storage. Can get it in any finish or spice it up with colored glass.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.