Houzz Logo Print
katekelly10

1865 Brick row house bathroom remodel

Dwelly LLC
vor 6 Jahren

We are looking to remodel our very tiny 'master' bathroom (5'10" x 5'8"). We are planning on keeping the original fixtures, refinishing the tub, and updating with subway tile. However showering in the tub isn't ideal and I hate shower curtains. We could blow out a closet to the left and add an extra 3'6" for a walk in shower (2 shower heads, or 1 plus a rain shower head). Then remove the shower portion of the tub. I'm open to moving the sink/toilet/tub around if needed. Any suggestions or alternative ideas would be really helpful!!! Thank you so much in advance!

Kommentare (9)

• PRO
    Arrange Interior Design
    vor 6 Jahren

So if you remove the closet, what are the dimensions and the footprint of the space? And where do you live? Depends if you want plumbing on the outside walls or not. I will be glad to provide ideas once I know. ps....love this old space!

• PRO
    Dwelly LLC
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

If we remove the closet (located left of the toilet) it would expand the space to about 9'5" x 5'8" and we live in Jersey City, NJ. The plan is to put as much of the plumping behind the wall as possible but it's unclear until we start ripping things up. Thank you! I love the old charm and we are trying to stay true to that while adding more modern functionality. Any advice or suggestions would be excellent!

• palimpsest
    vor 6 Jahren

If you do a separate shower I would leave the beadboard.

• PRO
    Arrange Interior Design
    vor 6 Jahren

OK in that case I would install the shower in the closet area, and put the functional vanity on the right. The potty can go to the right of the door, across from the vanity. I too like the beadboard but like the hardwood flooring even more. A Chance that there is hardwood in the closet? Also, this space begs for wall paper, something that goes with the period, and Restoration Hardware will have the hardware you need, again for the period.

• worthy
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

Exactly the setup I had in my first house, an 1870-1880 semi. I kept the tub and persevered.

Consider spray foaming the outside wall if plumbing ends up there. (And I'd replace that multi-gallon wasting w.c. with a modern lookalike.)

• Milly Rey
    vor 6 Jahren

Smart plan. If the wall is structural, a header is an easy fix.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

If you're going to be there awhile, then blow out the other space and have a nice shower. You don't need 2 shower heads. that's a waste. I have a very large shower and have a semi rain head (it's on a 16" arm) and a moveable wall mounted hand held shower spray that can both be on at the same time.

if you pushed yours back, would be something like this (the sink/toilet are reversed here)

Not be able to really see your layout w/the extend room, I'd say do the subway tile all the way around the room,

ignore the tub,,,,unless you don't expand, then you could do the tub like this. (I like the black bottom).

or keep that wood wainscot, paint it, and tie in the subway w/the new portion. get a pedestal sink or a small vanity.

if you are pushing back, then consider doing built in's of some sort, especially if keeping the pedestal. built in's were big way back and they're very handy if you can swing it

if you need a tub, consider doing a set up like this.

I like all of these period elements. the door casing, floor tile, colors, cubby next to shower, pocket door, vintage hardware.

if you decide to enlarge, make a floorpan w/the dimensions so we can see what's what. also, do you have a budget in mind? Any DIY skills?

• Shaun Ma
    vor 6 Jahren

I'm in Jersey City too! I'm also ditching the tub in our bathroom gut job. Our dimensions are very similar. The only thing is we also have a built-in the hall that cuts into bathroom space. Downstairs, we got rid of it and have regretted losing that storage so we're going to keep the built-in upstairs. The shower dimensions are still generous despite it.

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.