Houzz Logo Print
3088dorchester

New kitchen cabinets cracking.

3088dorchester
vor 6 Jahren
Custom inset cabinets are less than 2 months old and are cracking is this normal? Also is it possible for inset cabinet doors to be soft close

Kommentare (7)

• Tanya H
    vor 6 Jahren
    My cabinet doors are almost a year old, shaker style made of MDF and no issues with cracking. We’re in Canada so we get extreme shifts in temperatures and humidity. I would definitely request your cabinet maker address the issue. How frustrating when your kitchen is still brand new!
  • PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    vor 6 Jahren

Check if they are made of wood. If they are then it is normal as wood contracts and expands with the temp of the room. many times minor cracking is normal due to the wood, that's why most manufacturers who sell painted cabinets, their center panel is almost always MDF. The most common construction of cabinets is by planks being glued together to fabricate a door. On the center panel, you cannot do that on a painted door because eventually you will see the "cracks" on the panel of the doors. If these openings are in any other place than the center panel it is normal. Try getting a touch up kit from the vendor. They have paint and filler they can provide to you so you can fill in the opening and paint.

2nd and 3rd picture you provided do look unusual....I would call them an see if they can repair or you can order a new door...keep in mind it may happen again.

• Fori
    vor 6 Jahren

It's normal for painted wood cabinets to show cracks where there are joints. Your second photo looks like a crack where there is NOT a joint and THAT is not okay.

• PRO
    New York Woodworking
    vor 6 Jahren

Definitely contact the company. If the cabinets were built custom, then they should have their own finishers & if they are a reputable outfit, they will send the finishers to do touch-ups.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    vor 6 Jahren

That is definitely not the type of cracking you get with painted cabinets... it is not in the joints... I would contact the place you bought them from immediately... make sure you take lots of photos and document which doors and drawers this is happening to. It could have been a drying issue of the doors - if not enough water is removed from the wood then it tries to "get out" and will cause the paint to crack and bubble. A good company will test for that.

Hope fully it is not a lot of doors, but I would be concerned that once you get some fixed what happens with the rest - I would try to get something in writing.

And yes you can get soft close with inset - they should have been offered to you up front....

Good luck and keep us posted....

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    vor 6 Jahren

Wood grows on trees. Make your doors out of MDF or Corian if you don't want this.

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.