Houzz Logo Print
brittapear

Please Help us Landscape our front yard!

Britta
vor 10 Jahren
First house! WootWoot! Any landscape suggestions? We both are originally from the west coast and now live inland a bit in North Carolina but want to incorporate our love for the coast in our design.

We are in the process of pulling the big bushes out of the front of the house...so much work! THe big bushes are dated and I don't like how they overwhelm the house and something could hide in them!

We are diy'ers but haven't done a lot of gardening or landscaping before!

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated! For the front and the side part of the yard that is already bricked off (2nd picture)

Thanks houzz'ers!

Kommentare (14)

• PRO
    Snow Hill Inc
    vor 10 Jahren
    Congratulations on the new home! Make sure to take lots of before, in progress, and after pictures! A few things that jump right out at me, I would cut a circle around the large tree in front and mulch it with a nice dark brown natural mulch. I would also put a small garden down each side of the walkway and especially around the first steps and down to the road, maybe put a row or two of bulbs (iris, tulips, daffodils, ect.) along the walk and then by the steps plant a couple bushes, maybe a peony or azalea or something similar to help disguise the change in elevation and frame the steps in. In the front, be careful when you plant new bushes or flowers not to go to small, the old shrubs are def. overgrown, I'm personally a fan of shrubs in back and bulbs along the front edge.
  • Judy M
    vor 10 Jahren
    It is worth or to get a landscape architect, once you have a plan drawn, you can plant in stages if you need to and even do some of the work yourself.
  • colonialgp
    vor 10 Jahren
    I agree about hiring a professional. Since you're from the west coast, you are probably not familiar with how plants can simply die from thirst in NC in the summer. I encourage you to live with it for a year to get know your yard. Things will be popping up all summer and in the fall that you did not realize were there. And study the sun. Make a chart of where it is every hour of the day so you know your sunny spots and shady ones. Do this at least seasonally if not weekly. It will pay off in spades later on.
  • mousemaker
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    in NC you can practically have a year round garden. I would look up your garden zone and see what plants and trees do well there and chose accordingly. The local library is a good resource. Elizabeth Lawrence was from Raleigh, NC., the first woman to receive a landscaping degree from the university.
  • oderby
    vor 10 Jahren
    You have a perfectly proportioned house: a door in the middle, generous space of land on both sides of the door. Search for curb appeal on Houzz and find the house that matches yours with the front yard you would like to have. Even if you decide to invite a landscape architect, it will be much cheaper to say: that is what i want, rather than to go through your ideas and his/her multiple designs. Check your local library too. Good luck!
  • elcieg
    vor 10 Jahren
    Tree to the left,not so good. Tree to the right, good. Deck, white railings along the walk?

Late Spring Garden · Mehr Info
  • E L
    vor 10 Jahren
    Hi! I strongly recommend hiring professionals. You can always have them bid out their ideas in phases. You complete each phase as your budget permits. Pull together as many photos as you can and include plants and designs that you like. The pros are willing to work with you and they really do understand budget. Good luck.
  • aliss browne
    vor 10 Jahren
    judig hello, could you tell me what color it is painted on the front?
  • houssaon
    vor 10 Jahren
    About the trees. The one on the left could use a good pruning to open it up a bit and the one on the right needs to have the ivy removed from it. Cut the ivy at the base and wait until it dies, then you can carefully pull it off without ripping the bark. Good suggestions above.
  • libradesigneye
    vor 10 Jahren
    Echo - Foundation plantings are half of the charm of your house so before you do a lot of demo, collect an ideabook, hire a local pro and good luck.
  • Sigrid
    vor 10 Jahren
    Stuff that thrives in your environment is planted in your neighbors' yards. Stroll around your neighborhood, take pictures of stuff you like. Join a garden club, you'll probably be given plants. Look at gardening books in your library. Some will have planting plans you can adapt. Look up the plants and substitute with local favorites, as needed.

Reading up on plants will often hint at issues. If stuff described as acid-loving (heathers, blue hydrangea) are found everywhere in your area, pay attention to plants described as alkaline-lovers. Same with sandy versus clay soils, heat, water, etc.
  • PRO
    Toms Creek Nursery & Landscaping
    vor 10 Jahren
    Here in NC fall/winter is the best time of year to handle new plant and turf installations. This will give you some time to get a plan together. I'd recommend for immediate impact go in (now) and trim the large shrubs against the house down by 1/2 they'll flush out in the spring. Then start planning.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    vor 9 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 9 Jahren
    Welcome to the Tarheel state ! I'm a newcomer here myself . Love your house and would keep the farmhouse look by adding window boxes for seasonal color and an informal planting of a mixture of evergreen boxwood, flowering shrubs, perennials and annuals in sweeping curved beds on each side. Notice that two taller shrubs are on the edges of each side of the house to balance it. If you have problems with deer I suggest you select shrubs and plants that they don't like or consider fencing in your property to keep them out.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.