Houzz Logo Print
jbollenbacher

Need decoration ideas for above tv in sunroom

jbollenbacher
vor 6 Jahren

Hello, I'm in the middle of a 400 square foot sunroom addition. I am looking for artwork/decoration ideas for above the tv in the photo. Please note that we will be building a mantle between the fireplace and tv and adding window seats below each window shown in the photo. I'm inspired by nature and think an organic shape would look good here, but am open to ideas. I'm thinking about bringing in a rug with blue and neutral furniture. I'd say my style is industrial farmhouse. Please help!

Kommentare (33)

• always1stepbehind
    vor 6 Jahren

That seems awfully high....

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    vor 6 Jahren

I highly recommend you relocate the TV. It's too high to allow for proper viewing and it takes away from the beautiful fireplace.

Having said that, no matter where a TV is located it does not need to be decorated. The point of a TV is to look at the TV. Putting anything around or behind it just distracts and can make it look cluttered.

If you want art above your fireplace it's time to rethink the TV location.

• acm
    vor 6 Jahren

Agree. I'd put the TV over a console, maybe on the wall to the right, and put your great organic art over the mantel instead. You're going to need a chiropractor in a hurry if you have to peer up at that!

• jbollenbacher
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

always1stepbehind, I agree the tv is too high, but this is where we had to put it to allow for clearance away from fireplace. The tv is mounted so that it will eventually angle down when in use (to reduce neck strain of looking up at it). Sina, I'm not looking to decorate the tv. I'm looking to decorate the 5' space ABOVE the tv. Relocating tv is not possible (we have windows on all other walls). Let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you for commenting.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    vor 6 Jahren

I understand you're not looking to decorate the TV itself. But how can you possibly think adding THREE feature elements (fireplace, TV, art) to one thin piece of wall is a good idea?

And even with an angle downwards it can still cause neck pain. I know from personal experience.

However, if you don't want to remove it I'm not going to argue with you. But you should not add anything else to that area.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    vor 6 Jahren

I'd leave it alone. I wouldn't want to add anything...I like the openness of the look now though I think your idea of a mantel is a good one.

• mjconti
    vor 6 Jahren

Wait until you get the mantle in place. Put something on each side of the mantel - maybe greenery to add some warmth to the space. You may decide & agree, as others have advised, you don't need anything above the tv.

• pandtkendall
    vor 6 Jahren

Is it the camera angle or is the tv not centered over the fireplace? It looks like it is mounted too far to the right.

• Bluebell66
    vor 6 Jahren

I agree with those who say nothing above the TV. If you REALLY want something, I'd wait until the mantel is up and window seats installed. Then see if you still want something.

• lawsonch19
    vor 6 Jahren

I would find another (lower) location for the TV. If you do keep it there, nothing above please. Too much. Beautiful room; good luck with the rest of the project!

• k9arlene
    vor 6 Jahren

window or no window, I’d angle the tv on a stand in the corner to the right of the fireplace,

• 3katz4me
    vor 6 Jahren

I've always wondered how one watches a TV above a fireplace without getting a sore neck. It must work since so many people like to put the TV in that location. Yours however seems really high. How do you comfortably watch a TV that high?

I'd just put the TV at a comfortable height for viewing and not worry about putting something above it until the room is done and complete with furniture and then decide if you really need anything at all up there. I personally wouldn't put anything above the TV but then I wouldn't put a TV above a fireplace either.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

if the tv HAS to stay there, then do a larger one when you can as that current one is too small for that spot.. and no to anything above it. you don't need it. you have the shiplap as your design. (besides, artwork/wall hangings is to be hung at eye level. no one should have to look up to view anything,,,unless you're in the Sistine Chapel) once you get your window seats and the mantle in, it won't look as bare to you. are you doing window coverings?

Can you do some artwork on the other wall?

• decoenthusiaste
    vor 6 Jahren

Keep decor and TV's below window and door frames where the people live. You must be desperate to have TV above the FP if you're keeping it that high. I'm afraid it is laughable, but maybe you have a chiropractor in the family. I don't think you can angle it enough to be comfortable for everyone.

• rebeccamomof123
    vor 6 Jahren

Folks, she's not relocating the TV.

I'd drop in a show-stopping chandelier. Let all that open space and white background be the nice clean backdrop for it.

ETA, maybe the scale of the photo is off and it's not that high IRL. Can you take a photo of someone standing in front of the fireplace, for scale. You indicated that when people want to watch TV they could just angle the screen down. In the picture it doesn't appear as if an average height person could even reach the TV standing in front of it?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 6 Jahren

exactly. look at the last pic. once the window seats are in, lights, furniture, you won'd need anything above the tv.

• PRO
    Rite-Loom Flooring Design & Construction
    vor 6 Jahren

If you bring the tv down and put in a great rustic mantle it would be proportioned correctly. I think a great large print would be great above the tv as well as some 3d type artwork or pieces above the windows that are placed decoratively. Example

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 6 Jahren

RiteLoom She's not bringing down the TV! And she is doing a mantle. you guys, read the comments before posting your own.

• Bluebell66
    vor 6 Jahren

I think that first round chandelier rebecca posted would look fabulous in your room!

• rebeccamomof123
    vor 6 Jahren

I'm truly sorry Right Loom, but those 3D people are awful. All I see is creatures trying to escape some form of torture.

• everdebz
    vor 6 Jahren

Please, lol, no torture. ;-) What if built-in seats were dark - and flooring were more like stone's coloring? [nobody asked uhoh]

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 6 Jahren

rebecca,,,lol. these companies rarely read the comments or even look to see what style OP has expressed. I think they just post to advertise their own items. neither one of those two 'art' styles belong in OP's sunroom. those belong in a very modern andy warhol type of decor.

• arcy_gw
    vor 6 Jahren

TV's over a fireplace are a THING. Those that keep advising against need to get with this century! I am thinking most don't bother with the safety suggestions on how far above a fireplace a TV needs to sit. HIGH TV placement is also a THING. Only the people living in that home can decide if the height hurts their necks--and they will. Can we move on from those two suggestions? I think a simple, botanical sculpture would be more than enough above the TV. I do agree to wait until the mantle is in..why jump the gun before you are sure there is a need?

• hatetoshop
    vor 6 Jahren

Don't put up art (that's going to be too high to see) on your shiplap wall. The shiplap is the feature, and you want to be able to appreciate the simple, clean lines of it stretching across the wall. The t.v. is enough. Anything more would ruin the look.

• Juliet Docherty
    vor 6 Jahren

I love how you people say it as it is! Houzz UK is terribly polite in comparison. There is such a thing a negative space, or composition if you like. Just because there is some blank wall we don't need have something on it - sometimes a blank space is necessary to add balance.

• hamamelis
    vor 6 Jahren

That's really a nice room. So much to love about it, including the windows we can't see on the other walls.

I agree with colourhappy's point about negative space, and also with those who feel for other reasons that nothing is needed in the high spaces.

The first and third photos posted by Rebeccamom123 illustrate keeping attention down in the levels people occupy. But those rooms benefit from a unified upper line defined by the architecture that you currently don't have.

Rebeccamom123's middle photo shows wonderfully that that isn't the only way to a beautiful space, but this design is far more complex and required some talent.

And I think yours also requires a little talent and training to make it look good. That TV placement may be necessary, but to me it creates a really significant visual problem. Since you're adding a mantle, etc., perhaps consider hiring a good designer to pull it all together? For instance, just because the TV support and lines come out at that point doesn't mean the TV itself couldn't be moved down (and sideways?) to a better position, adding architectural detail to disguise as needed.

(Btw, strictly in the interest of feedback, one of those corner side walls looks big enough for your TV, or next size down, and I'd almost certainly have put it there. If it needs to be on the end wall to be seen from the dining and/or kitchen areas, and a TV in the kitchen's out of the question, of course that's the place.)

• bpath
    vor 6 Jahren

What about something along the lines of a boxwood or grapevine wreath, big, either round or rectangle? Organic in material, but carrying the linear theme of the wall?

• jbollenbacher
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

rebeccamomof123, funny, that first photo you attached is the inspiration for my room. I REALLY wanted to go with a show-stopping light/chandelier (as you mentioned), but the fireplace people told me we had to have a ceiling fan because our fireplace does not have a blower. UGH! I hate when functional considerations trump a good design idea. Thank you all for the comments.

• Yayagal
    vor 6 Jahren

I love your home, those little lights over the windows are perfect. I'm attaching some pics that show how to disguise the t.v. which may be a solution and it would act also some architectural eye candy. Click to the right arrow the first pics and check them all out. [Ideas[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/tastefully-ornate-traditional-living-room-vancouver-phvw-vp~6607416)

• rebeccamomof123
    vor 6 Jahren

That's a bummer - I see now that you already have a fan there. If a fan was a must, I was going to suggest something like this but I like that yours is simple and understated and blends right in. Since an awesome chandelier won't work with the fan, I'd leave the rest as is. Let your gorgeous shiplap be the hero. Once you layer in a rug, furniture and decor, there will be enough other things to entice the eye.

Your space is amazing and the placement and choice of lighting above the windows is so perfect! What are you thinking the fabrics on the window seats? Can't wait to see it all together!

Definitely place a large scale lantern and maybe a few birch logs or large driftwood branch on that hearth. It's gorgeous!

jbollenbacher hat rebeccamomof123 gedankt
  • kmcg123
    vor 6 Jahren

I agree that I would not put anything above the tv. Your ceiling and the shiplap is gorgeous and the warmth of your floors will also help frame the whole space. Even without window treatments and furnishings, I already have the feeling of a warm and inviting space! That's not always easy to achieve with ceilings that high. Once you have everything else in, see if you still think you need something above the TV.

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.