Houzz Logo Print
uesgrl

Stumped by 1970s Colonial. Help!

uesgrl
vor 6 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 6 Jahren

We had architectural plans for redoing the entire house, including adding reverse gables & a portico, but it turned out to be cost prohibitive. Now we are stumped as to what to do to the house to make it more attractive. The budget is healthy, just not limitless. We think we should do a new roof, windows, siding, trim, front door, gutters, soffits, column wraps to beef them up, porch (the brick is buckled up), new driveway w/belgian block edging, garage door, stair case to side door, & landscaping. If we plopped everything where it is now it'll look better, but probably not great. What bothers us most: the excessively linear nature of the house denoted by the pent roof, the way the front door/1st fl is buried under the large header, and the placement of the 2nd fl windows. We'd like the house to have more dimension/interest. I'm also not in love w/the shutters. Our style is transitional/modern farmhouse. Would black/bronze fiberglass windows (Marvin Integrity) paired w/red cedar polymer shake (Cedar Impressions) be out of place? Are there cost effective ways to improve the curb appeal and break up the long line of the house? Also are there any good apps or online designers/architects who will do a mock up to show us the potential for a reasonable price? I've only seen apps for changing the color. Thank you!

Kommentare (15)

• C D
    vor 6 Jahren

black/bronze windows with red cedar sounds lovely....pulling up the old shrubs and making the porch a lighter color will bring it out too

uesgrl hat C D gedankt
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

I love the long line of the house iy gives it presence on the property Awalkway to the house should always be visible to lead you to the front door even if it curves back to the driveway if it has to.Modern farmhouse is what you could do easily with this house I would leave the siding you have if it is in good shape aint it white add black metal framed windows, for sure get rid of all the shutters add windows on the 2nd floor if you want and then tackle the landscaping.

uesgrl hat Patricia Colwell Consulting gedankt
  • K Laurence
    vor 6 Jahren

I like the “ linear” nature of your house. What bothers me is the lack of attractive landscaping & hardscape.

uesgrl hat K Laurence gedankt
  • uesgrl
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Thank you everyone who took the time to comment. The house currently has wood clapboard on the front and cedar shake on the sides and back (odd I know) all painted a taupe color. Some of the shakes are goners, but for the most part the siding appears in good shape. Only problem is we have carpenter bees so we don't know if there is hidden damage. Do you think adding shake to the facade will give it more height (we've got low ceilings)? Worried the clapboard accentuates the long, low nature of the house, though it seems everyone here likes that about it.

• User
    vor 6 Jahren

The long low is what this house IS. Don’t fight it. Work with it. Shake is unsuited to this house.

The house itself is a handsome example, but you don’t seem to like it very much. I suggest you repair what is broken and put it back on the market so you can find whatever appeals to you. Whatever you do, Don’t remuddle it and expect to get your money back. Trying to erase its character is expensive and futile.

uesgrl hat User gedankt
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    vor 6 Jahren

I think there is not as much to fix as you do. The existing planting brings negative vibes ... especially across the porch where it helps make sure of the squinting appearance the facade gives. (I like a beefy header as I think it helps with the overall appearance of strength of the house.) There is not so much a reason to obscure the porch as there is to make it inviting, as a gathering place. As pointed out, a visible walkway (that allows plenty of space for foundation plants) would help.

Excuse the drawing as I had to do it with a mouse (yuck!!!!) It's just for the general idea of how a few small "trees" would help get rid of the long straight lines and add some 3-dimensionality. And how opening up the porch area would make it look more inviting.

uesgrl hat Yardvaark gedankt
  • PRO
    Felicity N. Davis
    vor 6 Jahren

The landscape is part of the issue, but I think your biggest problem is the size and placement of the second story windows. Look at these farmhouse pics:

What if you got rid of the shutters and replaced the windows with more proportional ones:
    or

uesgrl hat Felicity N. Davis gedankt
  • PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    vor 6 Jahren

some ideas

uesgrl hat Dig Doug's Designs gedankt
  • PRO
    CB Conlin Landscapes Inc.
    vor 6 Jahren

I completely agree with @felicity, its the upper windows that throws it off, and the double black shutter right in the center draws all of my attention. The open porch concept mentioned by both @yardvaark and @DigDoug's is a great idea. I'd love to see a long, straight walk to street as well, and a full step/steps along that entire exposed front porch (with full paver landing/walkway along the entire porch) would be insanely inviting.

uesgrl hat CB Conlin Landscapes Inc. gedankt
  • deegw
    vor 6 Jahren

I totally agree that money spent on the hardscape, especially a large landing off the porch and a graceful walkway that grounds the house, will be a big payoff in curb appeal.

uesgrl hat deegw gedankt
  • User
    vor 6 Jahren

My biggest concern would be the upper windows. I have no idea the cost, but it would look better with possibly two large windows there, rather than the four oddly placed small ones. Are you going to re-do the roof? Other than that I really like your home!

• uesgrl
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Wow I can't believe total strangers w/no interest in this project would take the time to help us see the potential in our home! Thank you so much!!! I truly appreciate it. I can see now how big an impact landscape and hardscape can make.

• C D
    vor 6 Jahren

some of us may be avoiding housework *grin*

• deegw
    vor 6 Jahren

Some of us might be avoiding school work :)

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.