Houzz Logo Print
devorah_brody

Stairs to nowhere

Devorah Brody
vor 5 Jahren

Hi all, we are buying a house that has two staircases to the second floor. The previous owner closed up the back stairwell and built a laundry room on the second floor. Since there is another stairwell its not a problem. This stairwell has a door at the bottom right next to the kitchen. The stairwell cannot be removed as it is right above the stairs to the basement. Looking for creative ideas of using this space. One idea was to build a pantry at the bottom of the stairs.

Have any of you ever seen or done anything like this?

Attached is a picture of the stairwell. The wall to the left (with the hand:) will be coming down as I am opening up the space for the kitchen. So the left wall will have kitchen cabinets on the other side. On the right is an office. So bookcases are needed in there. Thank you for your help.

Kommentare (7)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

The staircase to nowhere probably indicates that the house was occupied by multiple families at one time….

There is never enough storage in a kitchen, especially if you want the counters kept bare.

For some reason I can’t copy this pintrest idea..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUKYGCKFy31/

Devorah Brody hat JudyG Designs gedankt
  • PRO
    Wendling Designs
    vor 5 Jahren

Hi Devorah. A pantry would work great in that location. You can keep the door where it is and install pull out shelves, drawers or baskets. The depth of these "pull outs" would vary depending on the location within the pantry. Another option would be to continue the kitchen cabinetry around. The base cabinet would have a false front on it (inoperable). You could then wrap the countertop around on top of the new base cabinet with the false front. It appears that this new countertop could be approximately 24 inches deep. An upper cabinet or shelves (possibly for cookbooks) could be added above. Since this base cabinet would only take up about 24 inches the the staircase the remaining space could be used for built-in shelving in the office for books. And then there's the option of creating a compartment for a hidden safe. Hope this is helpful.

Debra Wendling

Architect

Wendling Designs

Devorah Brody hat Wendling Designs gedankt
  • Devorah Brody
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Wendling Designs, I love these ideas. Do you have pictures for the built in shelves?

• Devorah Brody
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Loving these ideas. If anyone has pictures, I would be grateful, as i am a visual learner. Thanx

• PRO
    Wendling Designs
    vor 5 Jahren

Floor Based Closet Systems · Mehr Info

Chaplin Estates Modern · Mehr Info

Closet 1 · Mehr Info

• just_jls
    vor 5 Jahren
    My parents had the exact same setup. as they had a bathroom next to the old staircase, they used it as storage for towels, cleaning supplies and toiletries. My dad just finished putting pullouts in to make things more accessible now that they are older and can't reach as well.
    Devorah Brody hat just_jls gedankt
Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.