Houzz Logo Print
ernobehr

Am I crazy? 10” deep kneespace at 42” high bar counter?

Erin Behrmann
vor 5 Jahren

Anyone out there successfully had 10” of kneespace at a 42” high bar counter? I know the recommendation is 12”. I want to live dangerously (haha) and try shaving off two inches to allow for more walking space into the office behind the bar stools. But I can be swayed if others have not had this work out well.

Kommentare (23)

• PRO
    User
    vor 5 Jahren

Humans still take up a 24”-30” circle of space, regardless of what overhang exists. If the overhang is too shallow, their knees won’t have room, but the people will still occupy the same room.

• Buehl
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

Ditto what The Cook's Kitchen said. As she said, people will take up the same amount of room -- they'll just be more uncomfortable sitting there. They'll have to lean farther forward to reach the counter or sit sideways or "straddle" the counter. None of those positions is comfortable for more than a few short minutes (if ever).

How wide is the walkway behind the counter with the 12" overhang.

• tatts
    vor 5 Jahren

I can't picture any stool that will fit under a 10" counter, so they are going to stick out no matter how shallow the counter is.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    vor 5 Jahren
    We have a 14” overhang on our bar, which is very comfortable. The stools when pushed all the way in still stick out 2 inches.
  • Erin Behrmann
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Walkway is about 29 inches behind the stools with 12 inch overhang

• Jaykaym
    vor 5 Jahren

The bar won't ever be comfortable for sitting but it can be useful as a standing bar area. If you want people to be able to sit, eat, do homework, etc. you need at least 12-15 inches to be comfortable. At 12 inches my bar is just ok, but not comfortable, for a meal. You are going to block that door and walk space with stools no matter what.

Erin Behrmann hat Jaykaym gedankt
  • Sammy
    vor 5 Jahren

You don’t have room for a bar of any depth!

• PRO
    User
    vor 5 Jahren

29” is way too small for any walkway. You don’t have room for seating there. You don’t have room for a pathway there!

• partim
    vor 5 Jahren

Maybe you can move the pathway by enlarging or moving the door to the office

• Erin Behrmann
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Maybe I am not measuring correctly, how much space is advised for a walkway behind seating? Also, the fabricator was here today and thought 10” was fine, but also said we had enough room to do 12. There was a bar here previously i just don’t know the overhang because it was demoed before I could measure.

• Erin Behrmann
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Jaykaym I think you are right. It is the office though so not sure it matters to me if you have to squeeze around a chair to get in there.

• PRO
    User
    vor 5 Jahren

With a walkway with traffic behind it, you need 48”- 60” of space between counter edge and obstruction. It depends on how heavily used the traffic path might be.

Erin Behrmann hat User gedankt
  • catinthehat
    vor 5 Jahren

Erin, are you saying you have 29” of walkway with the bar chairs pushed all the way in? If so you will have 0 walkway when people are sitting in the chairs. That may or may not be okay with you given your home’s layout, but something to definitely keep in mind.

Erin Behrmann hat catinthehat gedankt
  • felizlady
    vor 5 Jahren
    Is the room with the refrigerator the kitchen or is the room we see through the wall opening the kitchen?
    This seems strange. How about you post a measured and labeled drawing of the whole area so we can see how the rooms relate to each other.
  • PRO
    Minhnuyet Hardy Interiors
    vor 5 Jahren

min 12" if you will be having stools at the bar and someone will be actually sitting there eating or drinking. If not, there is not enough room for your knees to be comfortable. Also you need to take into account your walkway behind the bar at a min of 4 feet for people to comfortable walk when someone is sitting at the bar. If you cannot swing the dimensions, you should consider making it bar height counter with a 6-8" drink rail and do a standing room only

Erin Behrmann hat Minhnuyet Hardy Interiors gedankt
  • Erin Behrmann
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Got it, thanks catinthehat and cooks kitchen for offering more detail! 48-60 is so generous! Even with no bar at all there isn’t that much of a walkway between the furniture and door. It’s an old house and I guess this wasn’t taken into account when built. Minhnuyet Interiors thank you for the thought on a standing bar instead. That could be useful for lounging/chatting with the person cooking in the kitchen, keep the ideas coming!. Felizlady the room with the fridge is the sunken living room and you are looking into the kitchen through the pass through. Fridge is temporarily in living room!

• K R
    vor 5 Jahren
    We have 12” of overhang and everyone including my 6”5” hubby sits there and eats without any issues.
    Erin Behrmann hat K R gedankt
  • Buehl
    vor 5 Jahren

For counter-height (not bar-height), 12" is much too shallow for anyone average height or taller. I'm 5'10" and 15" is barely enough for me. My 6'5" DH has short legs and 15" is still too shallow for him! He has to "straddle" the cabinets to be able to sit there. He rarely sits there b/c it's far too shallow! (My 6'7" son never sits at the counter b/c it's too shallow at 15" -- I wish I had done 18".)

We have friends with 12" and I rarely sit at their counter b/c it's too uncomfortable for me!

The minimum recommended depths of clear knee space are for average-height people:

• Bar-height (42" above the finished floor): 12"
    • Counter-height (36" above the finished floor): 15"
    • Table-height (30" off the finished floor): 18" to 19"

The minimum recommended linear space for all options: 24" (although, some are now recommending 30" for table-height)

• Buehl
    vor 5 Jahren

Minimum recommended aisles behind seating vary depending on how much traffic there is behind the seats. If there's a lot, you need a wider aisle.

No traffic at all: 32" b/w the counter and the wall/obstruction (no cabinets or counters)

Some traffic:

• To edge past someone seated: 36" (44"):
    • To walk by: 44"
    • Heavy traffic: 48" to 54"

Work aisle with seating (not recommended): 54" to 60"

Between two seating areas (e.g., counter and table): 60"

• lbk01
    vor 5 Jahren

We have a large island that sits 3 comfortably and has a 10” overhang. We/friends/ family sit there all the time to eat, drink, surf internet, and chat. No one has ever complained it is too uncomfortable or shallow.

• Erin Behrmann
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Thanks for all that info. The pic must be throwing people off, but I am working with bar height because the living room is sunken. It’s actually 44 above the finished floor, not 42 as originally stated. Im accepting that I am splitting hairs between 12 and 10 inches because that isn’t going to sunstantially increase the passage Behind the stools anyways. I think for our family it doesn’t matter that the stool impedes acceas to the office when you are seated at it. If we are going to be impeded regardles, might as well be at a comfortable 12” while doing it!

• lucky998877
    vor 5 Jahren

Karen, are those Amisco stools? Thoughts?? I was looking at their bar stools also.

• Jaykaym
    vor 5 Jahren

If the door just leads to your office it isn't a high traffic area you can just close the door and pretend it's a wall, but go with the 12 inches if you want to use stools at the bar.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.