Houzz Logo Print
webuser_459455141

Choosing cabinets

I can't decide between the two colors.
The first is lighter, grey with a shade of brown. The second is more warm.
What would you choose for a house that is going for sale ?

Kommentare (39)

• kazmom
    vor 5 Jahren

If I were buying a house I would prefer the second. If I were remodeling prior to selling I would choose white cabinets as that seems to be what a lot of people want.

• lyfia
    vor 5 Jahren

If it is remodeling to sell then the white that peeks out in the 2nd picture on the right side. It is neutral enough so there won't be a strong reaction of like or dislike as most won't think twice about it.

If for you to stay there then either would be fine.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    vor 5 Jahren
    Plain white.
  • thinkdesignlive
    vor 5 Jahren
    Yes to above but really need to know what the floor is.
  • User
    vor 5 Jahren

None of the above. They both are unattractive and won't appeal to current buyers. If you are flipping, don't you have someone with some design sense involved? What other stuff has been picked for this house???

• RedRyder
    vor 5 Jahren
    You need to choose something that has appeal to the highest number of buyers. White reigns supreme now, so thee choices will not work for your goal. It’s not about what you like, it’s about what will help sell.
  • Shannon_WI
    vor 5 Jahren

If you are selling your home - not a flip - I would leave the kitchen as is, and price the house accordingly. You won't make the cost of the new cabinets back in the home sale. If this is a flip, then as others have said, neither of the pictured cabinets works.

• NewEnglandgal
    vor 5 Jahren

Honestly I would not like either. Pick a neutral painted white or off white that will appeal to many buyers.

• One Devoted Dame
    vor 5 Jahren

Depends on a lot of things. Can we have more info? :-D

(1) Architectural style of house

(2) Color and type of flooring

(3) Color and type of countertop & backsplash

(4) Wall, door, and trim color/type

(5) Answers to (2) & (4) of adjacent rooms

I, personally, am neutral on the style of cabinets you've selected, but would strongly prefer the warmer second option (I've never met someone else who disliked the color gray more than I do, lol), if you absolutely *must* choose between these two.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    vor 5 Jahren

Both aren't very appealing. If you're renovating to sell, which is already a risk, go for white.

• zmith
    vor 5 Jahren

Yuck. Neither. What is the appeal of putting in new cabinets where the doors look like they've beat all to heck?

• Houzz-Nutzer 459455141
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren
    I am just taking prices. I wanted to see how many people like the grey, because lately I have seen a lot of grey for new homes, but I think still many likes warmer colors.
    But, like some said, I should put more informations. If I was to pick the gray, I would balance the rest with warmer colors and viceversa.
    But I won't put all white cabinets and white subway tiles, I think it's boring and looks as flipper's houses.
    My style is a mix of rustic and modern, with earthy colors and natural materials.
    These pictures are renovations I made.
    For the house I am making now, I am thinking to distressed cabinets, bronze hardware, granite and tiles that will contrast the cabinets, walls in those new smokey colors that change with light.
  • PRO
    vor 5 Jahren

The added info only makes it more confusing. You imply you're not a flipper but you're renovating with the intent to sell...which is a flipper. There's nothing wrong with that.

Just stay away from grey would be my advice. It's a trend that is dead. It's also EXTREMELY hard for the average person to mix warm and cool tones successfully. You can't "warm up" grey but just putting warm colors around it. It will just result in them clashing horribly.

Distressed wood cabinets are polarizing. IMO both of those choices you posted are pretty ugly. Also, bronze, granite and distressed cabinets are kind of dated choices just based on how you describe. Maybe post pictures of the home. But if you're trying to sell quickly "boring" is the way to go. People want to put their own style on the home, not be stuck with yours.

• zmith
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

If you're renovating for YOU, then do what YOU like, and don't worry about what some anonymous future buyer or anonymous internet strangers might like. But if you're flipping the house, then do white and greige.

• pink_peony
    vor 5 Jahren

I don't think most people would like either of these TBH. They lean to a very specific taste and really would only look correct in a couple of settings. I would do a solid white.

• Houzz-Nutzer 459455141
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren
    Personally I love this bathroom ( is not mine ).
    Once we bought a house from a flipper, to discover some time later, that supporting floor beams have been cut and insulation was missing from some walls.
    We are military, so we buy a home, remodeling while living in, then selling.
    What some likes, someone else don't.
  • Houzz-Nutzer 459455141
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren
    Ok, are both ugly...
    So how about this... just the color, not the style.
  • User
    vor 5 Jahren

They are all great in the right context and downright ugly in the wrong context. You have the wrong context. Especially for trying to sell. No one will want any of those in a newly remodeled kitchen. They're too 1998 Fake Tuscan Befores.

Hire a designer who understands what has a neutral appeal. Your personal taste will lose you money at resale. This is about business, not what you like.

• PRO
    Inspired Interiors
    vor 5 Jahren

If the house is for sale - your best bet is to choose something that appeals to the broadest audience. Keep it simple

• chocolatebunny123
    vor 5 Jahren

The last one you posted (the arched door) is the least offensive but I still think it's not going to appeal to many buyers.

Take a look at other listings in your area. If they're showing white shaker, then that's what you go with...or maybe a warm (not distressed) wood shaker, not any of the choices you've shown us thus far.

You want to appeal to the masses when you're selling, even if it's not your style. Don't give someone a reason to take your house off the list before they see it in person. All those choices would be enough for me to pass on the house.

• kazmom
    vor 5 Jahren

As others have said, if you are remodeling for you pick what you like. If you are remodeling to sell go neutral. When we were looking at houses it was really frustrating to see a remodeled kitchen that was totally not my taste, because I would be expected to pay for that kitchen in the price. I would have MUCH preferred to have the old kitchen and a lower price so I could do what I wanted. I personally hate distressed cabinets. It would NOT be a selling point for me or a lot of other people. Yes, some will like and some not, but going with something more nuetral you open up the “like” category a LOT more.

• pink_peony
    vor 5 Jahren

I really think that you're choosing dated finishes in your remodels. Sorry but someone has to say it. The last picture you showed isnt what your samples reflect. It is a weathered wood. That is different than the cabinet doors you're showing with the various glaze treatments on them. So are these for a bathroom or a kitchen? If a kitchen can you limit the washed wood look to just an island whole keeping the perimeter cabinets a clean white? Subway need not be the choice for backsplash. There are a plethora of options for back splashes so your vision is pigeon holing you into what you think are flipper houses when in fact they are timeless finishes in most instances. Sometimes in ones attempt to be different, when not done well it equals disaster. Just sayin.......

• User
    vor 5 Jahren

You're well on your way to losing every penny you spend on this house.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    vor 5 Jahren

Please do a white, the finishes you have shown are too dated IMO.

• Houzz-Nutzer 459455141
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren
    Thanks everybody for taking time to answer.
    From a simple question as : Do you like it or not. To you, not what you think others will like.....
    I got answers like :" you are an average, not a professional, you don't have taste, you have to spend thousands for a professional ( by the way I see most of you are )".
    Until now every house we did put on the market, got offers in a week. I see the cookie cutters staying on the market for months.
  • zmith
    vor 5 Jahren

Perhaps your original question should be posed to a local RE agent, and not a broad internet audience. I don't think anyone said you don't have taste. Our taste just isn't your taste. In my locale, which is north Texas, generic bland flip houses in the desireable locations sell quickly and for top dollar.

Btw, thank you for your service. :)

• PRO
    vor 5 Jahren

Sorry, didn't mean to insult you. Nor was my general "average person" comment in regards to mixing tones supposed to be a put down.

I think most of us on here have found that the direction you were leaning doesn't work out well. But if you have personal experience otherwise then go with what has worked for you. Consulting with a local real estate agent is a good idea though.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    vor 5 Jahren

Well, if you know what to do, why are you asking here?

• K R
    vor 5 Jahren
    Agree with others, these are very specific! I would rip them out if I bought the house. Go with white.
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    vor 5 Jahren

"...Which one do you like?..."

Neither.

• joshuasamah
    vor 5 Jahren

Either of those would be a big turn off if I was looking for a house. The bathroom you like has a similar but more refined finish. I like that too.

also, the bathroom vanity is one piece in a beautiful bathroom as opposed to full walls of cabinets

• cawaps
    vor 5 Jahren

I really dislike the first one but would use the second one in the right house. I'm not sure that that house is the right house. I don't think my monitor is rendering the color of the third (arch) door well enough for me to express an opinion.

• dan1888
    vor 5 Jahren

Tough crowd tonight. I'm with you. I wouldn't go with anything white. Light wood is showing up currently in some areas. And it looks like you'll be living in this house for a couple years. I don't go for glazed. And the arch door color doesn't seem like a current choice for a light wood color. I've seem that color on maple cabinets in the past. Maybe lighter mixed with rustic/reclaimed texture.

Look at the colors and finishes at Restoration Hardware for ideas.

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/products.jsp?cellBackground=false&parentCatId=cat14460002&topCatId=cat1840042&categoryId=cat3650023&sale=false

Omega offers a good range of woods and finishes. Like this Cayhill door in walnut.

But in the Porch Swing finish.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    vor 5 Jahren

I have a close friend whose daughter's husband is military, too. They did exactly what you did for many years, until being stationed in the Washington DC area where it was too expensive to buy. Their houses also sold very quickly - to other military moving into the area. They weren't picky - they were only going to be there 2-3 years before reassignment. They needed a house NOW.

That's a VERY different market than a typical re-sale market where people ARE picky and will have to live with another's choices for many years until they can afford to rip it all out.

This is not the place to asks such questions as most here have no knowledge of this kind of market.

• NewEnglandgal
    vor 5 Jahren

Anglophillia My SIL is military and he and my daughter move around. They do care what the house looks like but less so when renting.

Depending on the area and how many homes are for sale will make a difference and it doesn't necessarily mean it will definitely be a military family buying. Many military rent or stay in military housing.

HU you asked which we like better for resale. Most I believe are honestly trying to help you. Some can be quite harsh and you do not have to listen to everyone...or anyone for that matter.. but you did ask.

We should all know by now when we ask questions the answers will not always be what we want to hear nor always delivered nicely.

I do like some wood tones I was just not a huge fan of the two you showed. If you like them then use them, it is your home.

Wishing you the very best with your renovation.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 5 Jahren

of the first two, I don't like either of them. Are you doing a rustic farmhouse? then choose one. But if you aren't, then pick something that doesn't look like a flock of woodpeckers lived in it. If you want wood, then do a nice alder or warm oak. All the cabinet choices to choose from and that's the best?

the other kitchen cab you posted, the wood color is ok. It just depends on what else you have working w/it.

• Caroline Hamilton
    vor 5 Jahren

My husband and I flip homes in a resort / beach area and would never think of using either of those choices. For a floor, yes, not for a kitchen cabinet. We have never had an issue with white or wood stained cabinets, and our homes all sell quickly and luckily for us close to asking price.

• Houzz-Nutzer 459455141
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren
    I should have explained, when I posted few pictures of my remodeling, that has to do with the style of the house. I only put what I like, I enjoy working with my hands and I don't want to do it only for the money. I think that a home has to match from inside out.
    That was a 200 years old house. Now I am doing a Southwest style, where people like color. Maybe I should put an Alder, but I don't want to be too "heavy" of a kitchen, so I have to integrate something else.
    I get sad when I leave a house, when finally is nice and comfortable.
Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.