Houzz Logo Print
leah_harvey4710

Ready To Assemble (RTA) Cabinetry - all information appreciated

Leah Harvey
vor 5 Jahren

I am looking at ordering kitchen cabinets from the Cabinet Joint. They sell Conestoga RTA cabinets and offer design services as well as some upgrades to the cabinets. Has anyone used this company or one similar? All information appreciated!

Kommentare (16)

• User
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

Great quality cabinets, but not for a low budget project. They aren’t cheap Chinese, in quality or price. You won’t save nearly as much as you think you will if you have expectations of “budget”. If you have expectations of “discount high end” that’s more like it. You need a high medium to high budget project and a LOT of personal skill and involvement to make the numbers really work. If you are paying a contractor for anything, forget it. Just buy already assembled.

You also still need someone who understands Kitchen Design to create the overall design, and specify the cabinets and everything else. Unless you know all of the building codes, material properties, and best design practices.

Leah Harvey hat User gedankt
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    vor 5 Jahren

I have pantry shelving in my home that I ordered from The Cabinet Joint. The sales folks are helpful, the product quality and order lead times were good and the shipment was easily tracked.

I agree with GreenDesigns that you won't save anything if you're paying to assemble and install them. I ordered RTA only because my custom cabinet maker was backed up (it was mostly with projects for my customers which I didn't want to interrupt.)

Leah Harvey hat Charles Ross Homes gedankt
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    vor 5 Jahren

I have pantry shelving in my home that I ordered from The Cabinet Joint. The sales folks are helpful, the product quality and order lead times were good and the shipment was easily tracked.

I agree with GreenDesigns that you won't save anything if you're paying to assemble and install them. I ordered RTA only because my custom cabinet maker was backed up (it was mostly with projects for my customers which I didn't want to interrupt.)

• Leah Harvey
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

I am waiting on the rough estimate from them based on a design drawn by a local architect. We will not be hiring anyone for the assembly or installation process - husband is very capable and we are actually doing the entire remodel (down to the studs) ourselves so I have no worries with that. Quality is what we are looking for and want the inset doors, dovetail drawers and full plywood boxes. Just hoping to save some $ over full retail for custom cabinetry. Glad to hear that both commenters felt the quality of their cabinets was good! Any other words of advice are greatly appreciated!

• User
    vor 5 Jahren

Junky Chinese manufactured sub assemblies that are just put together in America are NOT "American made". It's totally false advertising to claim that. The shame of that lie should cause you to delete your account, clickycabinets.

Then to SPAM a thread with that low quality import stuff too? Way to really shoot yourself in the foot and turn everyone off from ever buying that product. More jobs for Americans, yay!

• caligirl5
    vor 5 Jahren

I bought through the Cabinet Joint and had my GC assemble. I don't think it was a bad decision, but in hindsight would have researched more on similar quality, fully assembled cabinets with an experienced KD overseeing. There was definitely loss in design/ coordination/ accountability in the way I did things....maybe not as big a concern if you're doing the work yourself rather than hiring out.

I had worked with an independent KD to do a plan several years before my remodel, then once I'd finally saved enough money to do the project, I used CJ's KD to do the cabinet layout. I thought she'd be more experienced with Conestoga and most of the fee was covered by them. In hindsight I would have gone back to the original KD I'd worked with. I felt like I could have taken more advantage of the customization options, and maybe a more experienced KD could have identified those options. Also there was a major error in how the countertop was shown on the drawing. I'm not blaming the KD, because I'm not sure if it was even in her scope or my communication error or hers. But it was caught just in time before the countertop guy came to do the template, would have been $$$ to correct, and I think wouldn't have happened with a more full-service KD with 3D perspective drawings.

Leah Harvey hat caligirl5 gedankt
  • User
    vor 5 Jahren

The post below was written about Barker, but considering that Conestoga is even more complicated (by far) and expensive than Barker, you should read it all. Value is about more than cost. Buying already assembled good quality from someone who knows what they are doing will be the least effort lowest cost way of achieving quality results. [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/barker-cabinets-kitchen-designer-layout-help-dsvw-vd~3032345[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/barker-cabinets-kitchen-designer-layout-help-dsvw-vd~3032345)

As for the fake American assembled stuff, I can’t even. It falls under the category of if you repeat a lie often enough, people start to believe you. Don’t believe that the sun shines at midnight either.

Leah Harvey hat User gedankt
  • sushipup1
    vor 5 Jahren

The post from Click is just spam.

Leah Harvey hat sushipup1 gedankt
  • evantg
    vor 5 Jahren

I saw that thread about Barker vs already assembled price before I even started designing my kitchen. It didn't apply to me at all at least where I live. YMMV.

Conestoga (through their dealers) and Barker quotes where much much cheaper than everywhere else I got quotes from, and I got 6 others ranging from Kemper, kraftmaid, Bertch, Brookhaven, Woodmode & P&F. But yes, you have to do a lot of work. Even if you subcontract the assembly and installation, I'd recommend to be present so they don't screw up. You know your kitchen better than anyone.

When they quoted just boxes it was expensive, but once I started adding all the side panels and pilaster posts, and overhang apron, blind corner and trash pullouts the price would shoot up way more. No thanks. In the most expensive brands I wouldn't even quote the bells and whistles because just bare bones it was 30K+ on cabinets alone.

Leah Harvey hat evantg gedankt
  • kitchredo 99
    vor 5 Jahren

We are currently in the process of decided who/what/where to redo our kitchen. We've been to 4 different kitchen/cabinet design places, with prices ranging from $29k - $42k for just cabinets (and before you sit down with bells and whistles). We got a quick free quote from CJ and it's in the $13-$14k ball park. They've been very helpful with any questions before asking for any upfront money. About additional costs, suggested designs based upon what we want (like how much extra is it to get matching interior, etc.)

We have gotten multiple of free designs from the other kitchen places, but the quick free one from CJ. Plus looking at houzz pictures, have a good idea of what we want. The decision is do we want to do this ourselves or have someone else do it (and probably pay 100+% more).

I have done some DIY built-in cabinetry that came out pretty decent (with just a $70 circular saw and $99 mitre saw), so I would think I'm handy. We'll see where we go.

Plus we have expensive tastes in appliances. :)

Leah Harvey hat kitchredo 99 gedankt
  • PRO
    Click Cabinets
    vor 5 Jahren

kitchredo 99 - it sounds like you're a very handy person and could probably handle your own installation. Cabinet installation is not difficult, it just takes patients, a good eye, and a sharp blade to ensure those molding miter cuts are crisp and clean. Of course, if you have an older home where things are really far out of square, it can be a bit more time consuming and complicated, but I bet it's still something you can handle.

Another bit of advise - a good cabinet manufacturer usually has an installation guide book or videos to assist with the specific nuances within their own cabinet line. Where ever you decide to purchase from, I'd suggest asking for this.

My final thoughts - you get what you pay for. As you mentioned, you have expensive taste in appliances, which means you'll be looking at well made, long lasting, reputable brands. Why not do the same for the surrounding cabinets which take the brunt of the abuse in the kitchen? For this reason (and because every brand I've ever come across is imported from China - even if it says it's 'Made In America') we do not sell RTA cabinets. They simply will not withstand the test of time and, in my opinion, are not worthy of being placed next to beautiful appliances.

Just some food for thought from a pro who has been doing this for almost 20 years and has worked with most major brands out there. :)

• Leah Harvey
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Thanks for all of the feedback! We are 99% sure that we are going to order from Cabinet Joint. The negatives don't seem to really apply to our situation - husband is super handy and has built cabinet boxes & face frames as well as being very competent at installation so we will not need to hire anyone to do that, we are not in a big rush so having to put the cabinets together is not a big deal, we have lots of space to store the cabinets and organize the pieces, and we can use the Sherwin Williams paint color we want since CJ can do that. We will be saving about 60% over what our custom guy can do. If we go with unfinished doors, drawers and face frames it is another 25% off. Also, for $350, you can hire a CJ kitchen designer to do a layout and get you 3-D images so you can really visualize what you are ordering. It almost seem too good to be true!!!

• User
    vor 5 Jahren

Cabinets do not use paint for finishing. They use a sprayed post catalyzed conversion varnish. Conestoga can provide you with that factory tough finish. Yes it costs. That is part of the dollar equation in evaluating what is a true value. There is a difference in price and value. Don't confuse them.

You have to compare true apples to apples. That includes spraying that conversion varnish and the assembly costs. And the time. Most people don't ever count up the months spent doing this at even a low cost dollar figure.

If you can not produce factory quality finishes in your home, then putting a poor quality finish onto higher quality cabinets is a waste of money and effort. Like rolling house paint on a custom car. . You might as well stick with lower quality products too. You're throwing money away compared to what even a low end already assembled product can provide.

If you are comparing true apples to apples, the cost differences are minimal.

• Leah Harvey
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

With our custom cabinet guy, my husband was going to do the finish anyway and assist with the install. We have had good luck with painting cabinets - not saying a finish that can be "baked on" is not better, but not sure it is worth 30% more when pricing cabinets. It's all about balance - cost, quality, time and the value we each ascribe to a wide variety of variables when completing a project. There is another thread discussing the conversion varnish options which was interesting and might be a possibility.

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 5 Jahren

Following...

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.