Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

Marvin Windows: reasonable competitor for wood windows?

girl_wonder
vor 5 Jahren

I'm doing a big remodel of my 1940s bungalow and want windows with wood interior and alum clad outside. My architect called out Sierra Pacific windows but my contractor has seen so many poor reviews that he doesn't recommend them for my project. (if I want them, I'll have to sign a release that he's not responsible if the windows fail. Wow. He's never said anything like this before). We are getting a quote from Marvin, I believe Marvin Ultimate. I'd like 1 or more competing bids. Is there another brand that's worth considering? Some comments here on Houzz suggested that Kolbe's cost is close to Marvin. Anderson?

FWIW, is there a good third-party resource that rates things like this? I went to Consumer Reports and they don't have a review for Marvin or many other brands.

Kommentare (13)

• millworkman
    vor 5 Jahren

Is the budget for the Ultimates the concern? Kolbe is a solid wood window and quite comparable to the Ultimates, and generally a bit lower in cost. Depending on your area of the country you can look at LePage for an aluminum clad wood window. Personally I would not discount the Integroty Wood/Ultrex but if I am not mistaken you have another thread where you did not want FG. Also I commend your arhcitect on the decision with SP.

girl_wonder hat millworkman gedankt
  • PRO
    Williams Partnership: Architecture
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

WeatherShield is a brand we have had much success with over the years, though recently our dealer has dropped WeatherShield and picked up Sierra Pacific. he says WS stopped providing the same service, but my feeling is WS reduced the % of sale given to the dealer, or WS didn't change, but SP offered larger %. Note that SP has two different window lines - their "H3" product line is basically the old Hurd Windows product line produced in Hurd's Wisconsin plants, rebranded after SP bought Hurd - we did everything we could to avoid Hurd when they were in business and feel the same about SP's H3, though our local vendor sales rep and SP traveling rep pushes it hard (again, larger % profit...), and though we don't like it, we can't stop a client from choosing it. SP's main product line, produced out of their plants in the west, appears to be much better quality with much better construction materials and methods, though it is more expensive. We have a house with that line of windows currently on order.

We've priced Marvin windows over the years but have never ended up using them because they were more expensive than other brands we felt were equivalent quality and our client didn't value them. One brand we like but rarely get to use, probably priced similarly to Marvin but I would value over Marvin, is Loewen.

girl_wonder hat Williams Partnership: Architecture gedankt
  • millworkman
    vor 5 Jahren

Personally I would and always did put WS in the same bucket with SP & Hurd (all renditions of the Hurd Brand).

girl_wonder hat millworkman gedankt
  • geoffrey_b
    vor 5 Jahren

I have Marvin Ultimates - after 10 years no problems (here in Minnesota). I highly recommend.

girl_wonder hat geoffrey_b gedankt
  • herbflavor
    vor 5 Jahren

we have planning ongoing: between Andersen a series/pella/Marvin /you will do fine. Expect $1200 minimum per opening no matter. We want sound glass so will likely pivot to Marvin. What details /specs do you want.....if you want accurate historical look then zero in. You can make a difference with details and options but the better name brands will be fairly similar performance wise.

girl_wonder hat herbflavor gedankt
  • geoffrey_b
    vor 5 Jahren

@Homesealed: Two of my friends with less than 20 year old homes, have had to replace all their Pella windows. I had always thought they were a premium window?

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    vor 5 Jahren

premium can be be a relative term geoffery. I’ve replaced them in 9-10 years. Not saying that’s the norm or that the can’t be okay in the right circunstances, but i also wouldnt put them anywhere near Marvin

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    vor 5 Jahren

I will be sure to post some pictures of the Pella windows in my home come the Fall when they are due to be replaced. They were in the home when we purchased it for the record.

• girl_wonder
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Not sure if this matters, but I wanted to clarify: my house was built as a 2B/1BA bungalow in the 1940s. In the 1980 they added on, (expanded kitchen and add 1B/1BA) but they just added basic rooms and didn’t try to keep the character of the house. So I’m trying to fix the remuddle. I’m keeping the original wood windows—nearly 80 years old and still going strong!—and adding or replacing windows in the new area. I’m sure this has nothing to do with the quality of window companies LOL, but i wanted to give more context and also let you know I’m still loving the big old windows that are original the house.

• girl_wonder
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Some follow up, if anyone is interested. I talked to the Kolbe dealer again. He said their prices are close to Marvin's and not to choose Kolbe for price. A bigger difference might be the dealer mark-up than the product itself. That dealer is a 45 min away and unknown to my contractor. There are also mixed reviews on yelp.

My contractor is getting bids for Marvin from two local stores that are reliable. The one I met with yesterday was great (and came recommended by my architect and interior designer).

Fun fact: since Marvin makes all windows to order, there isn't really an up-charge for a "custom" size. (I'm trying to match the windows in the front of my 1940s bungalow and some the dimensions are non-standard ). The Marvin book calls out sizes in 6" increments, but they can make windows to any spec, to 1/8".

• BlueBlob Gaming
    vor 5 Tagen

Funnier Fact

Marvin Deletes Negative Comments on its YouTube page. https://youtube.com/shorts/LpgXnqhPdaU?si=ggFuSJaG1lsJb7hh

• Houzz-Nutzer 910663146
    vor 5 Tagen

I just bought a Marvin Signature Modern awning window. Fiberglass outside and aluminum inside (I am going for a modern design). I have a ProVia trapezoid window that is wood inside. It was expensive as heck ($10k) and is leaking and moldy (roughly 5 years old). The last thing I want is wood around a window if there are non-rotting alternatives. The installer and ProVia have been dragging their feet on this for a long time. Do not recommend ProVia.

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.