Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9482373

Arrange our backyard for optimal use and entertaining? (Los Angeles)

User
vor 4 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 4 Jahren

I've got a good sized backyard for Los Angeles. On the main patio area, we have a dining table, and a small lounge area.

Behind our garage, there is an extra area with pebbles/rocks/decomposed granite.

How might you re-arrange this backyard space for optimal entertaining and usage?

Some ideas we had were to put in a hot tub, or put in a firepit with more seating in that rock area, or move the dining over to the rock section. Looking for ideas. Thank you!

Kommentare (5)

• User
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Bump!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    vor 4 Jahren

You would put a hot tub or firepit in because you needed or wanted it, not because you thought it would be good for resale or that you should have it.

To arrange the backyard for optimal entertaining and use, you'd assess your needs and examine if they are being met, or if there are shortcomings caused by the present layout. What do you want to do that you can't do now? What do you do that seems impaired by the present layout? What is inconvenient when you use the yard? What features need improving?

What is the pebble area for?

The yard could be easier understood if you provided a base plan of it. If you are going to take a crack at doing the design work yourself, you'll need it, too. (A base plan is a simple map-like drawing that includes the property line, fences, walls, house outline, drives, walks, tree trunks, etc. ... all measured and drawn to scale, of course, keeping it as simple and uncluttered as possible.)

• PRO
    Arocordis Design
    vor 4 Jahren

I agree, produce a base plan showing all the existing elements, key dimensions and so on.

But planning and reflection would be where I would recommend starting.

As part of planning ask yourself what size and types of gatherings you would hope to host, what key activities would need to be supported by the outdoor spaces? How does the yard work with the entertaining spaces in your home? How could improving the yard inform the look and feel, function of those entertainment areas in your home? Do you have a terrace or deck by the house with transitions to other outdoor rooms? Will you have formal events or a mix of casual family friendly activities? Sports areas ie lawn bowling, playing catch, playing with kids, or no kids and adults only? Nighttime versus daytime vibe?

Think about the seasons, holidays and so on as well. What might change over the year with usage patterns?

Make a list and prioritize all of this to think through what you envision. What’s possible, where are the gaps? Do you have a partner or spouse and do they share your vision or? Would your entertaining be DIY or with catered? Or a mix? Bands, musicians, what would the needs be for that? Do you have dedicated storage for entertaining related items, access to power etc. in the yard?

Buzz me if you need more insight I’m planning. Good luck!

• l pinkmountain
    vor 4 Jahren

I'm taking it you WANT a hot tub and fire pit? What are the codes regarding fires in your area? Some things to consider. You might be able to sub a nice lighted fountain as something to gather around instead of a fire pit, I've seen them around.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    vor 4 Jahren

OP, you bumped the thread 3 days ago, presumably to get some action on it. Now, it seems abandoned.

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.