Houzz Logo Print
lesly_blosser

1960's stone fireplace to keep or to paint/stain/whitewash?

Lesly Blosser
vor 4 Jahren

I just recently painted my walls and it turns out the paint ended up with a blue tint to it so now they kind of look baby blue. Bleh! But this was such a big task painting as much of the walls as we did to get rid of what was previously the color of a lot of infant diapers I've changed! SO now we have this fireplace, we actually have 3 of these fireplaces in our house all the same layout all the same stone color and size. I need help on what to do with this fireplace. Any suggestions would be nice even if you think leave the stone and repaint the walls a different color.

Kommentare (25)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    vor 4 Jahren

! st why is the TV mounted so high since it is pretty obvious that fireplace is not real so no heat involved. So move the TV over to the left and down so the center of the sceen is at eyelevel when you are seated. Is the carpet staying> I have to say I dont like the wall colr with the carpet either so I would repaint the walls since I like the fireplace wall

• partim
    vor 4 Jahren

It's not just the fireplace, the color doesn't look good with the carpet either. Is the carpet staying? The carpet looks good with the fireplace color. Do you have furniture already?

Paint color is the very last thing that should be chosen, after all the furniture, wall art, rugs etc have been purchased.

• Lesly Blosser
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

The carpet is staying. I don't love carpet I would prefer a wood floor but it's just not in our budget right now to change the flooring and the carpet is in good condition and is the same carpet through 3,000 square feet. . . no money to change ALL that. If the carpet color is throwing the ideas you have I could always put down a rug of some sort. We have a large charcoal grey sectional already in this room and won't be changing furniture either. I know I did most of the decorating backwards but I just have to work with what we have. The budget is just not there to go in and do major changes. I'm not much of a decorator, you would walk in our house and think it's a bunch of college kids living there just because making decisions to hang things on the walls is just beyond me :( And with 5 sons nothing is ever really safe in our house....

• partim
    vor 4 Jahren

Your large TV sort of looms up there. Patricia's idea is a good one.

You can also "hide" the TV by putting it on a dark background, i.e. by staining your fireplace a dark color.

• pricklypearcactus
    vor 4 Jahren

To me the paint color isn't working with the stone or the carpet, so I would repaint.

• partim
    vor 4 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 4 Jahren

Are there any colors in your rooms aside from the charcoal sectional? Wall art, drapes, other chairs, pillows/throws? The more we know, the better we can help you.

I did this in our house too when we moved in. Painted our bedroom a "warm beige" that turned out to look unattractively pink in contrast to the carpet. We had 3 children under 5 years of age at the time, so we didn't have the strength to repaint, or the cash to get someone else to do it. We lived with it for quite awhile.

• partim
    vor 4 Jahren

Your carpet is very neutral so it should not be hard to find a good color to replace the existing paint. I think you need a greige color, i.e. a grey-beige. A couple of questions. What is the color that you painted the walls? Is this the only room that needs painting? What direction do the windows face in the rooms that need painting? Can you provide a picture of your sofa? Is there a paint brand you prefer?

• decoenthusiaste
    vor 4 Jahren

If they're all faux fireplaces, why not make plans to eliminate them one at a time?

• houssaon
    vor 4 Jahren

I would repaint the walls a lighter shade of the grout. (Use a matte finish.) I like the stone fireplace. I would not touch it. I would get rid popcorn ceiling.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    vor 4 Jahren

The orange in your stone is making you too light gray look blue. In the illustration below I have matched the paint to the color of the mortar between the stones.

Of course, I have no idea what is beyond your FP, wall, but in your particular case, the stone wall seems ill-suited for the TV placement, so I have lowered it and placed it adjacent to the FP

• mmilos
    vor 4 Jahren

Keep fireplace as-is. Repaint walls.

• PRO
    Mark Eric Benner - Architects, Ltd.
    vor 4 Jahren

Repaint the walls in an off-white to compliment the stone.

• partim
    vor 4 Jahren

The fireplaces may be real. My parents have 2 real fireplaces in their 1966 home, and have only ever used the family room fireplace. The living room fireplace has an electric insert exactly like the OP's, even though it is real

Since there are 3 fireplaces, you may want the wall space more than you want the fireplaces. Since this one doesn't seem to have a mantle or hearth that sticks out, it would be quite easy to have one or more of the fireplaces drywalled over. They'll still be there if the next owners want them or if you change your mind. It may make your home more comfortable too since fireplace openings can be a bit drafty.

• Lesly Blosser
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Okay so if I move the TV to a better location then how do we fill the holes in the fireplace stone that we drilled to put it up in the first place?

My paint preference is Valspar at Lowe's, it's easy for me to get and I can return the two cans I didn't use of this bad blue grey and get credit for a new color.

Sadly there isn't enough room beyond either side of this fireplace to move the TV off to the side and the layout of the room and our sectional doesn't really allow for a different room placement.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 4 Jahren

the fireplace stone isn't anything special, especially if you have two others just like it.

Paint it white and be done with it. (and get the high heat matte black spray paint and spray the firebox thing in the matte black)

Similar stone look how nice it looks in white

here it is in black

lower the tv. I don't mind on the FP, but I think it's too high.

• partim
    vor 4 Jahren

Fill the holes in the stone with anything that you'd use to fill holes in a wall. Then paint to match the stone they're on.

• PRO
    The Ponderosa
    vor 4 Jahren

Here are some additional pictures of the room

Please ignore the kitchen mess, I just had 30 HS football players over for dinner!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 4 Jahren

get those 30 kids together and have a ceiling scraping party! lay down lots of plastic sheet, dampen the 'popcorn' and carefully scrape. prime/paint.

Use Romabio to lime wash the brick.

it's a one coat, easy process. they have the lime wash or they have a masonry paint if you want more of covered look.

then bring in some art and do a your sectional like this

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    vor 4 Jahren

You have lots of room to move the TV over and down and some new furniture would be a huge inprovement.

• partim
    vor 4 Jahren

Popcorn ceilings can contain asbestos. Best to test it before you disturb it.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 4 Jahren

if it was done after 1977 or so, its clean.

• partim
    vor 4 Jahren

From Wikipedia. Popcorn was used pre-1970s and in early formulations, it often contained white asbestos fibers. When asbestos was banned in ceiling treatments by the Clean Air Act in the United States,[1] popcorn ceilings fell out of favor in much of the country. However, in order to minimize economic hardship to suppliers and installers, existing inventories of asbestos-bearing texturing materials were exempt from the ban, so it is possible to find asbestos in popcorn ceilings that were applied through the 1980s.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 4 Jahren

it's possible, but not likely. however, it's always best to test your ceiling to be sure. even so, since the popcorn is soaked w/water during scraping, chances are small if the particles could become airborne since they are wetted. No dry scraping, of course, but if the ceiling is sprayed with water during scraping and it appears like mud when removed, it should be fine. of course wearing a safety mask would be advised.

• crowinghen
    vor 4 Jahren

I think you already know that you need to paint the walls a color that compliments the stone and the carpet. To me, it looks like the grout and the carpet are the same tone- so I would go a few shades lighter, but same tone.

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.