Houzz Logo Print
kgenoa

Robin's Egg blue for kitchen cabinets?

Karen G
vor 4 Jahren

We are giving our kitchen a face lift after we did a major remodel 20 years ago. The cabinets are natural cherry (but have darkened over the years).

We have chosen a white marble like porcelain for the countertop and dark taupe shade of wood like tile for the floor. My cabinet color choice was Robin's Egg Blue but now I am second guessing it. I chose it because it's a pretty, happy color and we have white shutters and trim in BM Atrium white. I choose the blue because I didn't want a super white kitchen and the style of the kitchen is not modern.

Now, I hesitate. Should I paint the cabinets white like the shutters? Would it be too much white? Especially with the white countertop?

Haven't started yet but will in about a month and the cabinets are last.

I fell in love with this kitchen....it looks like blue on the lowers and white on the uppers...

Magnificant Historical Home Rumson NJ · Mehr Info

Kommentare (27)

• PN _Bos
    vor 4 Jahren

Love your inspo picture!!

Karen G hat PN _Bos gedankt
  • Kristin S
    vor 4 Jahren

You love the blue and it sounds beautiful. I say you should absolutely go for it. Your plan is well thought-our. Don’t second guess yourself.

Karen G hat Kristin S gedankt
  • houssaon
    vor 4 Jahren

I would paint the lower cabinets first. Then you can decide to paint the uppers blue or white to match your shutters. I think either would look great.

Karen G hat houssaon gedankt
  • PRO
    Mark Eric Benner - Architects, Ltd.
    vor 4 Jahren

I really like your instincts with regard to the Robin's Egg blue. I think that is very complimentary to the marble counters and white shutters. The ultra white kitchen has seen its day. We are now working in character and warmth with neutral color choices.

The subtle contrast between the cabinets and the wall/backsplash is striking and elegant. You could also consider a grey counter, but I also like the marble.

Best of luck to you.

Robin's Egg Gallery Kitchen · Mehr Info

Karen G hat Mark Eric Benner - Architects, Ltd. gedankt
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    vor 4 Jahren

Just make sure the color selected is not green

• Kaylie
    vor 4 Jahren

Can you get a paint sample to see how it looks in your light? I took the plunge a couple of months ago and went with cabinets and Farrow & Ball's Green Smoke instead of painting them white. I love it! No regrets at all. Don't be afraid to not go with the safe choice.

Karen G hat Kaylie gedankt
  • mmilos
    vor 4 Jahren

Here's a link to an award-winning, high-end kitchen design from SubZero/Wolf that uses light blue cabinets. Good inspiration here.

https://www.subzero-wolf.com/inspiration/kitchens/tradition-with-a-pinch-of-panache

Karen G hat mmilos gedankt
  • User
    vor 4 Jahren

Natural cherry? Don’t paint that! Wood is making a big comeback!

• eam44
    vor 4 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 4 Jahren

I agree with LWO, you might not want to paint those cabinets. Whether it's making a comeback or not, you chose a wood well above paint grade. Covering it with paint now is sort of failing to appreciate it for what it is. That said, it's your kitchen, and it should be a space you love. Maybe we can help get you there some other way.

Could you please post an image of your existing kitchen?

• megs1030
    vor 4 Jahren

Go for it! Sounds beautiful!

Karen G hat megs1030 gedankt
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    vor 4 Jahren

Go with your original love, blue. Just find the perfect color. Not too pure- slightly grayed down. Along the lines of sherwin oyster bay.

Karen G hat Color Zen gedankt
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    vor 4 Jahren

Your inspo has no "robins egg" anything. Here's the rest of the kitchen in that home. All the perimeter is white upper and lower. The island a deep grayish blue.....or gray : )

Painting cabinets, professionally, is a big commitment. Just saying .

Magnificant Historical Home Rumson NJ · Mehr Info

Karen G hat JAN MOYER gedankt
  • njmomma
    vor 4 Jahren

Not a Pro.

Beautiful kitchen!

I would keep your surrounding cabinets white, but add more substantial hardware to your cabinets. The hardware on the cabinets don't look substantial enough to give the kitchen that bling! The island is where I would go robins egg blue or another color.

• eam44
    vor 4 Jahren

Is the dress blue and black or white and gold? We’ve just played the Houzz version. Well done Jan. See how vital good lighting is?

These kitchens are blue, I promise. Time for some new inspiration, and possibly a new plan. We can’t help you if you don’t post an image.

• Trish Walter
    vor 4 Jahren

I think I'd rather do accents in Robin's egg like bar stools bowls, etc. Because when you get tired of the color....I once bought red leather chairs in my great room....I've long been tired of red as my accent...big regret.

Karen G hat Trish Walter gedankt
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    vor 4 Jahren

I was considering an aqua for the cabinets in our guest house kitchen. Here are some inspiration pics that I like. This color feels less nursery to me.

Now I’m thinking of just doing my end hutch type cabinet in a color and leaving the rest more neutral. I’m still waffling between black and white.

Karen G hat Annette Holbrook(z7a) gedankt
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    vor 4 Jahren

I would not do the whole kitchen in that color I think all the botton blue and the top white like the shutters would be an awesome change . Please do not feel bad about painting cherry I have dislike cherry kitchens for a long time already . BUT please have them painted by an actul cabinet refinisher it will cost more but be worth every penny.It would be good to show your kitchen though before doing anything and IMO the first step is to address your lighting it needs to be LEDs in 4000K to make sure the colors your choose stay true at night.

Karen G hat Patricia Colwell Consulting gedankt
  • cpartist
    vor 4 Jahren

Wood cabinets are making a huge comeback. I would never paint cherry cabinets.

• Karen G
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Thank you for all your input. Especially on the inspo pic. I didn't realize it was really gray, not blue. So, I've changed my mind on the color after contemplating your comments and pics - going to possibly use a navy/sapphire blue. More neutral...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 4 Jahren

could you post a pic of your kitchen?

I sure wish people would quit trying to talk people out of changing. 20 year old wood cabinets prob need to be refinished. I know mine did. but I opted to paint them instead because I was tired of the wood. I don't care if it is making comeback. It's my kitchen and I wanted something different after 15 years!

Karen G hat Beth H. : gedankt
  • highdesertowl
    vor 4 Jahren

I love two tone with blue base cabinets--this is SW Oyster Bay on lowers--very non pro pix :)

at home · Mehr Info

• grdnbeth
    vor 4 Jahren

My blue w/walnut

go for it!

• everdebz
    vor 4 Jahren

What is your flooring?

• everdebz
    vor 4 Jahren

Pro on houzz.com: LakeandMountainHome: "Have you thought about zinc which gets better as it ages? Zinc naturally oxidizes over time, cleans up easily, and it will be a bit more family friendly in terms of maintenance." Stainless steel looks good when kept polished. If you have kids this can be a tall order.

Kitchens · Mehr Info

• Karen G
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

It will be Marazzi American Estates in Suede.

• cupofkindnessgw
    vor 2 Jahren

Any updates? Finished kitchen pictures to reveal?

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.