Houzz Logo Print
rsbair

Purchased Foreclosure: Landscape Design Assistance Requested

rsbair
vor 4 Jahren

We purchased a foreclosure about a year ago. The home had been neglected for quite some time. We recently finished up several larger projects inside the house and we're ready to tackle some landscaping. We ripped out the overgrown and dead bushes in front of the house and want to replace with some low maintenance plants that bring some color. House is located in Annapolis, Maryland (Zone 7) and faces west. Any design assistance / tips would be greatly appreciated.

Kommentare (12)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    vor 4 Jahren

My suggestions for a way to lay it out that does not smother the house in hedging and is easy to maintain. It's not a recommendation of specific plants, but of type, sizes, shapes and placement.

rsbair hat Yardvaark gedankt
  • Christopher CNC
    vor 4 Jahren

This is a simple planting job any competent gardener or nursery professional can do with the common request of low maintenance and color. I'll just give you a plant list and you can arrange them in whatever manner pleases you. These are all easy care low fuss plants that should work fine for your Annapolis, Maryland (Zone 7) faces west conditions.

Shrubs-

2 or 3 Viburnum carlesii - Korean Spice Viburnum

7 Ilex vomitoria - Dwarf Yaupon Holly 'Schillings' or similar

Groundcovers-

4 Juniperus conferta 'All Gold' or similar

- with flowers

12 Rudbeckia fulgida - Orange Coneflower

Hardy Geranium groundcover of choice for filler

rsbair hat Christopher CNC gedankt
  • Embothrium
    vor 4 Jahren

The viburnum is a medium shrub reaching 6-10 ft. tall in time so I don't see it fitting in that bed over the long term - it depends in part on just how small-growing rsbair wants the replacement plants to be.

• Christopher CNC
    vor 4 Jahren

Well in 15 or 20 years if the Viburnum carlesii should make it to 10 feet, it can be limbed up into a multi-trunked small tree for Yardvaark.

• Embothrium
    vor 4 Jahren

Habit of this species is not tree-like, one that lends itself to arborizing.

• Christopher CNC
    vor 4 Jahren

Well drats. It will just take a little more discipline to accomplish than.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    vor 4 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 4 Jahren

"It would look a lot better with the evergreen shrubs at the corners and the "color spots" between, instead of the reverse arrangement shown above." "... why put the larger plants directly below the windows ... And why the short kinds at the corners ...?" Adequately answering those questions requires writing a book or doctoral thesis. A much easier way to "answer" which way "works" is to show your ideas graphically in order to make a side-by-side comparison. Even if no one is able to write a thesis explaining "why," everyone can still understand the results.

• PRO
    Earth Essence Designs
    vor 4 Jahren

There are no right and wrongs in style. It's about what you like and what makes you smile when you look at it. I live near you and understand your planting area extremely well. I would suggest that you take a look around your neighborhood or nearby parks and gardens (there are garden tours in your area in the spring) and consider what you like. Do you like an informal natural style with perennials and ornamental grasses, do you like seasonal color, or do you want to make sure you have a lot of evergreen in the winter? Do you want natives? Do you want as low maintenance as possible? Also, the most satisfying projects are the ones that you develop from your heart and soul. If you find a concept that makes your heart sing this project will be an absolute joy to complete and it will make you smile every time you look at it. For example, is there a favorite vacation spot you want to remember, a loved one or a pet that has passed. Do you want the style of the outside of your house to be a reflection of you the way the inside of your house is a reflection of you? Adding art or pieces of meaning is a great way to make this space you. You can have a verse of a favorite song or poem inscribed on a rock or a metal plaque. you can add driftwood as a reminder of the beach. You can use favorite plants from your childhood. You can use sculptures that symbolize something to you. I love adding boulders to landscapes (zero maintenance).

Good luck. I hope this is a really great experience for you. If you find an inspired idea of what you want I'd love to hear it. I have several ideabooks on my Houzz site of favorite plants that would work for you.

rsbair hat Earth Essence Designs gedankt
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    vor 4 Jahren

If there are thumbs up to "like" a posting, why can't there be a thumbs down to express displeasure with a posting??

I for one could give it a pretty heavy work out :-)) Every now and again I encounter something that is so far off or or so inaccurate, it just makes me cringe.

• Christopher CNC
    vor 4 Jahren

I'm thinking a thumbs down button might diminish the quality of your rebuttals.

• kitasei
    vor 4 Jahren

May I pipe up for preserving an open view of that good looking stone foundation? Go ahead and plant a few judiciously sited shrubs but space them out and fill in with a very low ground cover, in a color that shows off the stone. It's a distinctive feature of the house that sets it apart from cheaper versions. Nice find and nice job so far!

rsbair hat kitasei gedankt
Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.