Houzz Logo Print
webuser_955290593

Help me decide on a countertop.

Kristy Seaman
vor 4 Jahren

Need advice today on countertop. I need to decide today before my husband leaves me! I have it narrowed down to two:

1) leathered via lactea granite

2) leathered or polished White himalayan granite(it’s a two sided slab)

My husband loves soapstone—not in budget— and I love marble—not practical. Our cabinets are dove white lowers only, no uppers, smallish open kitchen(14x18) with medium natural lighting( East facing window).

I‘m afraid the via lactea will be too dark in our space and it limits design options should I want to change things around in the future.

The White Himalayan is gorgeous, but the colors are very cool—blue gray and white. I have a butcher block island top that reads very warm. Flooring is not installed yet. Please help me decide.

Kommentare (44)

• mark_rachel
    vor 4 Jahren

Can you post a pic of your space? I personally could never live with the via lactea, but that's just me personally. I do not like dark countertops. I like light & airy which is exactly what the himalayan is, but it may not work with your space. Do you have other options?

• thinkdesignlive
    vor 4 Jahren

What will your floors be? You say no uppers but what is the plan for backsplash? Pictures or a plan would help.

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 4 Jahren

We will be installing white oak engineered hardwood throughout the house, kitchen included. I plan to use a white or marble backsplash, depending on countertop. Stainless appliances. There will be open shelving flanking the window with task lighting. The stove wall will have a hood cover. I will post a picture.

• typeandrun
    vor 4 Jahren

leathered taj mahal quartzite

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Please don’t mind the mess. We are still a work in progress.

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Typeandrun. Unfortunately taj mahal is out of our budget.

• typeandrun
    vor 4 Jahren

I would go with light countertop, I think light is complimentary to butcher block over the dark

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Went to the stoneyard and found viscon white. It was very muted with not a lot of black splotches. I forgot to take a picture 🤦‍♀️

• PRO
    Plazza Natural Stone
    vor 4 Jahren

Have you looked at River White or Millenium Cream? Those may be warmer lights than the himalayan or viscon / white wave. See if you can grab a sample of any of them, though sometimes they're harder to get with natural versus quartz, it will help if you can put it next to the butcher block as photos do funny things to color.

• mark_rachel
    vor 4 Jahren

I would stick to a warm white(ish) granite, or go with the himilayan. I think it would fit into the space. DO NOT put a marble backsplash with any of the white granites though. Stick with a simple white or mono-color tile.

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Plazza Natural Stone I have not seen either of those granites at the suppliers; however, from what I have seen online, I do like the River White granite. The Himalayan White that was there was very soft with minimal waves/veining. It was a Very light blue gray. Unfortunately there is only one slab left, and I’m not sure if my fabricator needs 2 slabs.

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Mark-Rachel thanks for the advice. I haven’t decided on the wall tile at all. That will come after I make this countertop decision.

• megs1030
    vor 4 Jahren

Can you post pictures of any of the slabs you are considering?

• M Miller
    vor 4 Jahren

I really like Viscon White granite that you mentioned. I think it would be a good choice. Here is a long thread about it, with lots of pics. There is a lot of variation to the slabs for this granite, so the pics are helpful:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2690316/do-you-like-your-viscont-white-granite-counters#n=142

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

This is the viscon white.

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Though not the exact slab, this is very close to the Himalayan White.

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

This is the via lactea

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

These were some of my inspiration photos.

I really like the contrast of the dark countertop, but am worried about them taking over my kitchen. I like light and bright, but I live in Ohio where light and bright is 30 days a year if I’m lucky. We do have recessed light, pendant lighting over the island and accent lighting on both sides of the window. However, I do not plan on leaving my kitchen lights on during the day unless an absolute necessity.

• salonva
    vor 4 Jahren

Of course it's very hard to judge from the photos but I remember really liking via lactea a lot and the photo is stunning. I also ,like the white viscont. I didn't care for the himalaya at least from the photo. Not sure if I am helpful at all!!

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Salonva my husband and I think via lactea is beautiful; we especially love the leathered texture. And my eye is drawn to the contrast—I’m just not sure it will work in my space.

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

This makes me smile.

• salonva
    vor 4 Jahren

I totally understand. I am doing something similar (well cabinets have been ordered) and have been smitten with titanium granite. I am still at the very beginning stages and anything can happen!!! I know that lighter counters probably will be better but I love the contrast as well.

• tsjmjh
    vor 4 Jahren

If that makes you smile, then by all means do that. I picked a "horribly out of style" granite with a lot of movement 4 years ago because It. Is. Gorgeous. I still love it.

• barncatz
    vor 4 Jahren

If your eye likes the contrast, it will like the via lactea. Your slab has a lot of white veining and is really striking. I take it your appliances are black? It won't take over the space, it will highlight the white cabinets. They don't look at all dingy in your photos.

But have you tried the old laying black garbage bags over your counters and taking photos trick? Also, be sure you enjoy prepping, baking on a dark surface.

• Design Girl
    vor 4 Jahren

If you like the contrast of the dark counters have you thought about absolute black granite in a honed finish. It is usually very budget friendly and very pretty. I personally don't like leathered finishes.

• sprtphntc7a
    vor 4 Jahren

OP: if you love it, go for it!! don't play it safe. usually your first choice or one that you always go back to, is "the one"!! i personally love the 'via lactea'. the other ones, meh., they would be a pass for me.

one thing i would consider is switching out your appliances to SS. sell yours on eBay or craigslist and use that $$ toward new ones. the counters will shine, whereas with the black appliances, the counters will be ho-hum, IMO.

• Mom
    vor 4 Jahren

I used leathered Virginia Mist granite in my small kitchen, with soft white cabinets. That granite has a similar feel to the soapstone your husband favors. I love the contrast as well! The room has only one East-facing window but adequate light hasn’t been a problem. Good luck!

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Thank you everyone! I think I‘m having such a hard time because I don’t want to make a mistake and have any buyer’s remorse. My husband has worked very hard on this kitchen.

We are planning on getting SS appliances once the kitchen is finished. I also was thinking of a brushed brass finish for pulls and lighting.

I’m Kind of a plain girl. I wear muted colors, and my house reflects that. My furniture is linen/oatmeal colored. I have white and natural wood throughout the house with some driftwood gray and navy blue accents. The walls are White Dove. A black countertop is definitely out of my comfort zone.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    vor 4 Jahren

Are you set on granite or would you consider quartz as well? You said you like marble but don't want it because it's not practical -- then how about marble looking quartz? There are plenty of options -- https://aquagranite.com/marble-looking-quartz-counters/

Kristy Seaman hat Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center gedankt
  • megs1030
    vor 4 Jahren

I vote for the Via Lactea. I also love the contrast and you keep mentioning how you also like the contrast and how it makes you smile. I'm not a fan of any of the more muted slabs you've shown as I don't think they work well with the wood top. You can make your kitchen light and bright with proper lighting and accents. Go for it!

• damiarain
    vor 4 Jahren

I second the suggestion to lay out black garbage bags across your cabinets and observe how it looks throughout the day - see how you feel about it

• Steph
    vor 4 Jahren

I recently went through the same indecision on countertops. I really wanted soapstone, but not many places even had them to show. I connected with a fabricator who was helping me find slabs and he had doubts I could find affordable soapstone. We looked at everything you did and finally found a stone yard with soapstone and it was a lot cheaper than we imagined. About the same as leathered granite.

• Steph
    vor 4 Jahren

I ended up getting the black soapstone I wanted all along and I have enough left over to add it to a new bath vanity. I ended up with statuary marble for my island to contrast.

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Steph your Countertops are beautiful! I love soapstone, but all the slabs we have found are very soft and more of a light blue-gray.

• missenigma
    vor 3 Jahren

@Kristy Seaman What was your final decision?

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

I ended up going with what my heart wanted—a honed black mist granite. It has a soapstone look and didn’t overwhelm the small kitchen at all. I love the bit of contrast it provides. We are still waiting On the backsplash because we took a detour and put new floors in. I’ll post a pic of the finished space once it’s completed. If you want I can post a pic of the countertop.

• typeandrun
    vor 3 Jahren

yes please post a picture now!

• Linda Stefanish
    vor 3 Jahren

It’s beautiful! Looking forward to seeing finished project!

• Tammy
    vor 3 Jahren

@Kristy Seaman I am contemplating honed black mist granite & leathered via lactea. They’re both lovely. But what made you decide to go with the black mist? I’ve been warned to stay away from honed black granites due to fingerprints, oil stains & water rings. Of course I realize they seal the stone. But have you had any of these issues? Thank you!

• Kristy Seaman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

@Tammy the Leathered via lactea was very rough In texture—almost wavy—and very dark. Too rustic for me. I loved the veining in the black mist and it was a softer black. it does show water rings or oil stains, but these gradually disappear with cleaning. I make sure to wipe it down as soon as I can. The spots are not that noticeable to me unless I’m really looking. i do have to run my hand across the counter to make sure There aren’t any spills because those are hard to see. I still love my countertop and would choose it again If given a choice. My only suggestion is to make sure you have lots of light—the black does darken the space significantly. And seal every couple months. Good luck!

• Tammy
    vor 3 Jahren

Thank you for your input @Kristy Seaman. That was very helpful.

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.