Houzz Logo Print
markmorganemail

Vegetation and planters for concealment around my rooftop terrace

vor 3 Jahren

I have a rooftop terrace and I have been experimenting with a combination of decorative grasses and vining plants, to form a privacy screen and color along my railing. I think last year (2020) was the most successful yet using sweet potato vines in flower boxes, and purple fountain grass in 18 in terra cotta pots.

Here is how it turned out:

I want to improve the situation in the following ways and I could use some advice:

1. Train the vines to cascade over the terrace wall, rather than be bushy on top. Can I construct a lattice or framework to “lead” the vines over and down the terrace railing, so that they reach further down the wall? (Or is the reach of the potato vine a function of the depth of the soil, in which case, see the next question)
  2. Plant the fountain grass in the same boxes as the potato vines—to form a screen that has both height--with the grass, and also runs down the side of the terrace railing--with the vines. How large of a flower box would I need for that? (I saw an example of that on Houzz below).

Roof top deck · Mehr Info

I have a continuous water supply and drainage on the terrace, and have had great success with a drip irrigation system, so maintenance is not an issue.

How can I take this terrace to the next-level?

Thanks,

Mark

Kommentare (9)

• vor 3 Jahren

Looks great! :-P

• vor 3 Jahren

If you have large enough planters you can put both together. Have you thought about using elephant ears? The purple sweet potato vines do not cascade as much as the green ones. They tend to be bushier on top.

Mark Morgan hat functionthenlook gedankt
  • vor 3 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 3 Jahren

Not sure where you're located, but there may be some clematis you could try. I have a Sweet Autumn that is a relentless climber and trailer. I cut it back to about 12 inches tall in February and it grows like crazy in the spring. It's a perennial in the ground but you could probably grow it in a large pot. You do need to give it something to climb on so you may need to weave some string amongst your railings.

Here it is in the summer before it blooms, a view inside the fence.

Here it is in the autumn, from outside the fence. Super sweet fragrance once it blooms

Mark Morgan hat tozmo1 gedankt
  • vor 3 Jahren

Thank you for the pictures and explaining your experiences with the Sweet Autumn. That looks really nice and the fact that it is fragrant is even more of a reason. I live in northern NJ, so it can get pretty cold up here and for an extended time. (I mean, as I reply to this, it is early April, and we went below freezing three nights this week).

But, I also have large pots that I will be filling, and now you have me thinking about flowers that have good fragrances.

• vor 3 Jahren

functionthenlook - I have an opportunity to build larger boxes this season, so I am going to look for examples where decorative grasses have been doubled up with bushier plants, if not cascading vines. Thanks for the suggestion.

• vor 3 Jahren

Very nice to have a rooftop terrace! Do you happen to know what it's weight limit is?

Mark Morgan hat beesneeds gedankt
  • vor 3 Jahren

beesneeds - I don't know what the weight limit is on a per square-foot basis, but the weight limit i would adhere to would be 250-350 pounds (total) of flower-boxes hung/mounted along the length of the 20 foot railing. I would also consider supporting the flower boxes with legs underneath the flower-boxes running down to the surface of the deck.

• vor 2 Jahren

very nice! impressive woodworking skills.

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.