Houzz Logo Print
angela_kellum

white quartz countertops. I’m unhappy with the edges

Angela Kellum
vor 2 Jahren

I had quartz countertops installed recently and I love the surface but very unhappy with the finishes to edges and corners. I need others opinions as my husband doesn’t know what to think of the quality. In good daylight, the edges are dirty looking, I can see swirl marks. Its not smooth or shiny like the tops and I hoped they would match. Also, we already had them come back once to fix a rail seam by our cooktop because it wasn’t lining up perfectly. When they tried to fix it left an arch where they just cut off the underhang. Looks awful up close. Hopefully you can see details from my photos. Let me know if I should just live with it or complain and have them come again to fix edges. TY

Kommentare (15)

• PRO
    Ellen Utley Interiors
    vor 2 Jahren

This can be the difference from one fabricator to another. The more you invest in a reputable company the better their machinery and work. You could go back to them and ask for improvements but the work would not be a very tidy job in the house. I suggest standing back and appreciating the design from afar more. Nothing is perfect, it is the overall feel that is important so long as it is practical, safe etc. Most likely only you notice this and we can get a bit too detail orientated sometimes.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    vor 2 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 2 Jahren

IMO we need to see the kitchen as if we were in the space not looking at things with our eye 2 " from the counter .Did they do a digital lasar template or just measured ? Post a pic of the whole space .If you wanted the edges to look like they were a piece of the counter just bent you needed to arrange tha before anything else was done. That would cost a lot more money .

• Angela Kellum
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

More photos

• kculbers
    vor 2 Jahren

I have Silestone quartz countertops, and all the sides and edges are smooth and shiny like the top of the counter. My kitchen designer only uses very experienced Silestone fabricators and installers.

• User
    vor 2 Jahren

The quartz fabrication is pretty good. And it is WAY WAY better in quality than the shoulda been replaced cabinets it sits on, so there appears to be a lot of inconsistency in your expectations here.

• Jennifer Svensson
    vor 2 Jahren

I see what you mean and I would be disappointed as well. We have quarts and like one of the previous posters, all surfaces look the same and edges are consistent.

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 2 Jahren

@Verbo, just because someone doesn't complain that the cabinets they are NOT replacing, are NOT perfect, doesn't excuse crap work for something they are paying $$$ for!

If I choose to have my 50 year old wood floors refinished, they won't be perfect. That doesn't give the drywall crew an excuse to cut corners on their work.

• Angela Kellum
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

I don’t think there is inconsistency with my expectations. I don’t think seeing swirl marks from their tools is a finished job. It’s rough, and dirty looking.

• User
    vor 2 Jahren

So, it matches the cabinets.

• Angela Kellum
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

I don’t care about it matching the cabinets. I care about the edges looking finished

• User
    vor 2 Jahren

For A+ results results and expectations, the best, most high priced, A+, fabricator in town should be chosen. When choosing based on low price rather than skill, you tend to get a consistency in average to poor results. Your results on the counters are average to poor, and the cabinets are poor. You accepted the cabinets as being adequate, or you wouldn’t have placed stone on them. The stone aligns in quality level with the cabinets. Therefore the stone should be acceptable to you also. It’s a total blue light special quality package match.

• jackowskib
    vor 2 Jahren

Liz I sense your feeling some aspects of the finished work isn’t very good. I would take some painters tape and mark all the areas they need to come back and look at so they can tell you what can be done.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    vor 2 Jahren

I am a fabricator ... and quite fussy about edge finish. From the pics I'd say you got poor quality but it's likely your fabricator can't do much better. The poor polish could be from worn CNC tooling but the presence of swirl marks make it likely the edge was hand finished. Also the 90 degree inside corner must have been done by hand; if the part was edge polished on a CNC there would be a radius of 2-1/2 to 3" on the corner. It can be improved on site but it takes someone with the appropriate skill level.

• Svetlana J
    vor 2 Jahren

I would go back to the fabricator and ask for a different crew to come out and remedy the issue (if they have multiple crews) or ask for the owner/quality control manager to come by and look at it. Ive had experience with 3 separate stone installs that went completely different with the same fabricator due to different crews being sent out (the first 2 jobs went well, but during the last one the crew must have been asleep as they broke 2 base cabinets, damaged the sink, fridge, etc. and it is a very “reputable and expensive” fabricator. Needless to say, they came back to fix the job.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.