Houzz Logo Print
mandy_langford

Need some decorating advice for beachfront rental property.

Mandy Langford
vor 2 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 2 Jahren

I purchased a beachfront condo that I will be renting and also personal use. I need some affordable decorating ideas that will withstand the traffic but also feel warm and inviting. The current decor is dated and I would like help with furniture arrangement to utilize the 1200 sq.ft. and also accent the amazing ocean view.

Kommentare (63)

• la_la Girl
    vor 2 Jahren

Could not agree more with the "get furniture off CraigsList or FB Marketplace and paint" advice - you can get really nice things secondhand if you are patient and know what you're looking for - plus it won't arrive damaged. If I were furnishing a rental, I would be searching those sites like it's my job...

• cawaps
    vor 2 Jahren

I was thinking along the same lines as mjib: how much seating you need (living room and dining) depends on the sleeping capacity of the house. If it sleeps 4-6, the two sofas and dining seating for 6 is great; if it sleeps 3 you could pare back as Housegal suggested.

As someone who has rented vacation houses, the first thing I look for is the sleeping configuration (everyone gets a real bed and no one has to share with someone they don't want to) and the second is that there are places for everyone to sit in both the living room and when dining. Then probably kitchen functionality. Aesthetics only come after those practicalities. Maybe other people are more easily swayed by a pretty picture.

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 2 Jahren

There's only so much room. How many feet please, from sofa arm to slider? for one swivel chair perhaps? or easy-care cushioned rattan? You already have white chairs. Is this too big?

Shenandoah Chair - Blue · Mehr Info

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren

In the corner, or extra elsewhere. 24"W x 24"D x 31"H --

sold as 2 set.

Stackable Bamboo Chair, Set of 2 pcs., 22"W x 22"D x 34"H · Mehr Info

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren

BEDROOM aqua / green paint sort of spa. Lotsa square [of tiles] -- so soft texture and pattern helps break the 'mold' and soften for the eyes.

Couristan Monaco Tropical Palms 2429/3134 Bordered Rug, Aqua, 8'6"x13'0" · Mehr Info

• decoenthusiaste
    vor 2 Jahren

As a vacation rental property manager for 18 years, here are my thoughts. Divide the living and dining areas by placing the short sofa parallel to the dining table in an "L" with the 3-seat sofa against the wall where the love is now. This will leave a walkway through from the entry. Get washable twill slipcovers for the two sofas in a white or sandy color. Place TV above a flat, not corner, credenza that is 25% wider than the TV; that should go opposite the larger sofa. Get a larger sisal or rattan rug that can slip under the front 1/2 of both sofas and extend past them by 8-12" so as not to impede the walkway.

Use blue painter's tape to tape out that configuration once the sofas are moved. Put the coffee table 12-18" from the big sofa and one of the end tables at each end of it, using one of them as a bridge between the "L" of the sofas. Get rid of all the red in the room. Get new lamps, pillows and art.

Try Sherwin Williams Sea Salt paint throughout the condo: it will likely look a bit different in each space due to lighting. And, speaking of lighting, change all bulbs to 3500 or 4000K LEDs so it will still feel sunny when guests come in from the beach. Be sure to light under the kitchen cabinets and perhaps under the peninsula bar where you can add some art if it won't be used for stools; you don't appear to have room for them anyway with the table and chairs.

Sea Salt & rattan rug.

Silver Lake - Sunroom · Mehr Info

In the bedroom switch to a spread that falls to the floor and hides the metal bedframe. Doing changeovers is much easier with a spread than with a bedskirt. This one from Overstock would look pretty with Sea Salt. I would add new, fresh sheers or linen draperies throughout to change the look completely.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 2 Jahren

red blue green white, off white walls and yellow? sheesh.

if you keep the sofas, just do white and textured neutrals like sisal/jute. no red, no yellow.

Or, how about getting washable, heavy slip covers for the current sofas??

then you could do something like this

paint the walls white, bring in color w/accessories.

you need a larger fan.

for the bedroom, update the dresser/desk. do a rug under the bed, and get some new, welcoming bedding.

I mean, this looks like something from a cheap Miami Motel-6!

• housegal200
    vor 2 Jahren

Current living room wall color goes well with the floors. Paint the bedroom that as well. Or do everything white/ Get very floaty, all-white curtains so that the view, not the curtains, are the main focus.

I second practicality and function for rentals. Get sturdy, easy-to-replace restaurant-grade all matching white dishes, sturdy matching flatwear, water and wine glasses with short stems, heavy matching mugs, very decent pots and pans, utensils, very good, sharp matching knives, corkboard wooden placemats--round if you get a round table. If you get Teflon pans, have plenty of colorful Teflon friendly spatulas, stirring spoons, etc. so pans don't get scratched too soon. I like to see local art prints or local arts festival posters in places I rent to personalize the place.

While I mentioned Craigslist for a good DIY white round, expandable dining table, everything else should have smooth drawers, pulls. Avoid too much flea market vibe. Stay in your place for a couple weeks and take good notes on what's needed. Some renters living out of their suitcase so make sure you have a foot-of-the-bed trunk or bench or a couple attractive luggage racks. Add sconces or a floor reading lamp to living room. Put a small desk and comfortable small desk chair in the bedroom that fits an iPad or laptop.

Make sure there are plenty of pegs near front door, in bathroom, and hooks inside closets for people to toss totes, beach bags, etc.

• apple_pie_order
    vor 2 Jahren

What is your budget range for this round of updates? What do you want to buy with it?

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren

She's right and I said too you can remove everything, yes red lamps -- don't match the sofa- it creates a 'perfect' traditional old fashioned.

Add a throw-around pillow -

https://www.perigold.com/decor/pdp/elaine-smith-rope-outdoor-rectangular-sunbrella-pillow-cover-insert-elsm1481.html?piid=24368340

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren

BEDROOM with chambray blue bedding of same tint as green walls -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LYJ1KF1?tag=amz-mkt-edg-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-a0029-win10-other-nomod-us000-pcomp-feature-pcomp-feature-pcomp-wm-11&ref=aa_pcomp&th=1

with this type just next to the bed... a rag rug done well hopefully.

Complex Gray-Green Hand Woven Rug, 5'x8' · Mehr Info

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren

I respectfully differ, and offer eclectic, but not chintz pillow, nor 1970's macrame, but the different variety of today. Play with stripes!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LYJ1KF1?tag=amz-mkt-edg-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-a0029-win10-other-nomod-us000-pcomp-feature-pcomp-feature-pcomp-wm-11&ref=aa_pcomp&th=1

• housegal200
    vor 2 Jahren

Came back to suggest that you study airbnb and VRBO rental photos in your area to see how they look and what features they offer.

• hbeing
    vor 2 Jahren

everdebz that rug is frickin' awesome. now to get a house to go with it. ;)

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

I want to replace the furniture in the living room but can't afford to right now. I am replacing the dining table with a white round table.

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

Here are some other photos. I am so thankful for everyone who took the time to post their amazing advice. You guys are amazing.

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

Just purchased this table on Facebook Market for $150.

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

Tiles are off white, master bedroom walls are seafoam light green. 2 bedrooms, 2 baths with a pull out coach and king in master. Guest room currently has 2 twin beds but I am taking out a twin and adding a bunk bed with trundle. The more I can sleep the more I can charge per night. After bunk bed addition I should be able to sleep 8. Below are pics of guest room. I just purchased the bunk bed and need advice about how to arrange beds and decor. The last photo is the entry way.

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

Got the bunk bed with mattresses and bedding for $700 on Facebook Market!!!

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

There is also seating at the bar. I only have 3 barstools but there is room for 4 maybe 5.  I will be able to sleep 8. Do you think it is ok it I keep the table smaller and only do 4 chairs since I will have 4 barstools? Would it be better to do 6 chairs at the table?

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

1200 sq. ft

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

From sofa arm to slider approximately 3-3.5 feet.

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

There is room for 4 short bar stools. Any suggestions?

Mandy's Ideas · Mehr Info

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

DECOENTHUSIASTE, YOU ROCK!!!! I feel like I owe you dinner after your in depth response. Thank you so much for taking the time to break it all down for me. I have been a Certified Residential Appraiser for 19 years. I can value your home just don't ask me for decorating advice. I am so jealous of your talent. It is almost like you had been inside my condo and your tips are spot on. I can't wait to implement many of your ideas next week. I am so appreciative for your expert advice.

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

Well I just purchased the bunk bed and table which totalled $850. I would say I have about $2000 left in my budget.

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

This is a condo. There are 44 units in the building. It is quant and not overly crowded.

• nhb22
    vor 2 Jahren

Mandy Langford - I am putting my two cents worth in about the dining situation. Go with the 6 chairs, and if room, get two extra side chairs that can be pulled up to the table. I like the table!

My husband and I frequently rent beach properties for our family get togethers. We avoid rentals that do not have enough seating at the dining table for the amount of occupants that have bed space in an actual bedroom. Bar stools do not count as a dining seat.

Now, should we invite extra people in for dinner, then those bar stools come in handy, but only for seating the children. Adults do not want to sit on uncomfortable bar stools, and with their backs to those sitting around a table, to eat a meal.

Congratulations on purchasing your condo. Beautiful views! I hope that once you have everything furnished and decorated, you will be able to spend some time enjoying the property yourself. 😉

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren

Lovely new table - did anyone involved say how many they'd sit there?

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren
  • everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren

I was looking for stackable, to store at least a couple extra -- this is a nice softly muted green, or light brown. 19.25 x 19 x 34.75"

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Collin-Distressed-Dining-Chair-Set-of-2-Multiple-Finishes/54151700

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren

Not sure what's wrong with 'neutral' stools of wood, which blend into the counter.

Your shell on the new table -- about that color for stools is on Walmart and other sites.

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren

Hi again. Looking for sturdy, to last long. This pair called Baby Blue might work by the beach. Have you considered painting your current chairs?

https://www.decormarket.com/safavieh-axton-side-chair-stackable-baby-blue-set-of-2.html

• WestCoast Hopeful
    vor 2 Jahren

Don’t overthink this too much as a new owner. Take pics, rent it out, see how you do. Change and improve if you need to. We go to Maui yearly and I could care less what the dates decor is like on some level as long as comfortable, well stocked and well located.

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

6 can sit at table.

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

I think I am going to paint the chairs I already have.

• PRO
    Renov8or
    vor 2 Jahren

I rent an airbnb about 3 times a year to host my family at a beach near them when I visit. Your place has a lot of things going for it! I personally am attracted to white slipcovered sofas and chairs. (I've owned white slip-covered sofas, and they're actually great for high-traffic rooms, b/c they can be washed.)

That is the number-one change I'd make. And kudos for not having leather in a beach house. (Leather after swimming is like, YUK.)

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

I know

• amykath
    vor 2 Jahren

Things are really coming together! How nice to have a beach home. My recommendation is to add rugs. It will break up the tile and add warmth and texture.

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

So it's still a work in progress I had 5 days a's and I'm obviously out of my element decorating but I took a lot of your advice and I think it looks much better. I didn't get to do everything I wanted to because of time and/or money. Thanks to everyone who paid who pitched in great ideas to help someone like me who doesn't have a decorating bone in her body.

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

Bedrooms and more

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 2 Jahren

pretty good.

if you can swing a few hundred more, get this console (2nd pic) for beneath your tv.

this one pictured is way out of proportion. too small and too high.

this one is on sale too

https://www.worldmarket.com/product/wood-everett-table.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

looks like this. (this is the other color

also, get some art for over the sofa.

https://www.worldmarket.com/category/wall-decor-mirrors/wall-art.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&pp=20&page=4

look at some of their wall art they have

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren

I like the sofa covers - I had a basic cotton over mine, which worked for quite a while. I especially like the blue chairs - how was that?

I agree about the console - is there a spot for it near entry, with white wicker mirror over it... just a thought. Love your view!

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren

Or not perfect match... reminds me of countertop and jute, etc...

"Resolute" Canvas Wall Art, 48"x32" · Mehr Info

"Surf Day" UV Ink Print on Natural Pine Wood, 45"x30" · Mehr Info

"White Whale Square" by Terry Fan, 26x26x.75 · Mehr Info

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren

ya know what... I like this seeming perfect match with the blue chairs!

"Beach at Hanauma Bay Oahu Hawaii" Canvas Art, 60"x20"x1.25" · Mehr Info

"Brume sur le lac d'argent" CF Print, 36"x24" · Mehr Info

"Jump In Lake" Fine Art Canvas Print, 36"x24" · Mehr Info

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren

Just idea for orange bedding room - to right of macrame.

Practical wipe-off canvas over toilet, over towel bar...

Summer Crowds at the Beach, Fine Art Gallery Wrapped Canvas, 24"x24" · Mehr Info

John W. Golden 'King Mackerel' Canvas Art, 24"x10" · Mehr Info

Diving Girl Vintage Wooden Sign, 20"x32" · Mehr Info

• everdebz
    vor 2 Jahren

Just pretty... would help the dining area feel cozier. I don't mean to imply you have no decorating bones -- you do!!!

Pure Poetry by Liz Jardine Canvas Art Print · Mehr Info

• Mandy Langford
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

Thanks for all of your ideas. I love them all. If I have decorating bones that is news to me...lol.

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.