Houzz Logo Print
joshua_luongo

I have no idea what to do in this living room/foyer. Driving me nuts!

Joshua Luongo
letztes Jahr

Hi there! I've been living here a few months and I am designed paralyzed LOL - The final straw yesterday was when my friend and his 7 year old son stopped by. The 7 year old said "why is your house so empty?" LOL.

I really am not sure what to do- the wall that is now off-white was the same shade of blue- I tried to make it an accent wall but literally NO! color looked the same as the samples- it's like a cursed wall.

So my plan was maybe to paint the whole room off-white and pop the room with colored furniture. Although I do think the blue is a nice color.

there is something though when you walk into someone's home for the first time- i'd love it to feel colorful.

I really like a bohemian/eclectic style but im not sure where to even start here? Do I need bigger, larger plants? I know i need art, but where, how big? how many?

Do I need tables, record player on an end table? lights?

I'm open to any suggestions! thanks so much!!

Kommentare (28)

• shirlpp
    letztes Jahr

That blue and orange are a nice start if you really like boho. Those rugs have got to go!

Are you putting a tv in this space?

Joshua Luongo hat shirlpp gedankt
  • N Johnson
    letztes Jahr

You have a dining area — do you mean to get a table and chairs? Is that a theater light or photographer’s light? Why is it there? What do you want to do in the spaces? Do you like having people over for dinner? Parties? Just visits? What is outside the windows? Are you in a city? Close to neighbors? When was the house built? Tell us more.

Joshua Luongo hat N Johnson gedankt
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    letztes Jahr
    Zuletzt geändert: letztes Jahr

Empty walls contribute to the empty feeling. Do you have any art?

I wouldn’t call attention to that wall on the right by painting it a different color. Looks like a good place for a skinny sofa table or something similar. Set a trailing green plant on it. Or a sculpture or a lamp.

I agree that these rugs don’t belong here.

Joshua Luongo hat littlebug zone 5 Missouri gedankt
  • Valinta
    letztes Jahr

Elaine has given you a great to-do list. After you find looks you love on Houzz or some other resource, consult with an area designer as far as furniture & rug (s) selection, layout and function, i.e., TV, reading, entertaining, in the forefront. After getting your furniture above choices, select lighting, window covering, and paint. I like your blue sofa and orange chair.

Joshua Luongo hat Valinta gedankt
  • kazzh
    letztes Jahr

Whilst you are researching the elements you like from a boho style, get some simple butchers paper to use as mock ups for art so you can test size and placement. Then look for art that speaks to you, not pieces that "go" with your aesthetic. Home is having things you have collected over time around you, not items that you have bought because it's the latest decor fad. Who ever picked a gold or silver piece of fruit?ὤ3

Joshua Luongo hat kazzh gedankt
  • kulrn
    letztes Jahr

Great space! I would start by getting a larger rug and center with the window. I think you need a console against the long wall, and a round (wood?) coffee table. Love this rug with your colors... Once you get your main pieces, then you can accessorize!

A photo clipped from Houzz Bookmarklet · Mehr Info

A photo clipped from Houzz Bookmarklet · Mehr Info

• freedomplace1
    letztes Jahr

It is a great space. And you already have some nice pieces - the blue sofa, orange chair, counter stools, etc.; very nice.

Have you tried your sofa on the white wall ? That is where I would place it. And with that, you could create a gallery wall - or alternatively use one large art piece there.

Larger rug for the LR, as well as for the foyer, could be nice.

Lots of nice ideas here on this link for incorporating a record player: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.apartmenttherapy.com/record-player-design-ideas-266806%3famp=1

With your idea of putting a record player on top of an end table - I was going to suggest using some sort of credenza / end table - perhaps on right side of sofa/wall; and I see they have actually done something similar here:

I think using a piece like this one (shown below), next to the sofa with a record player on top, could also be fabulous.

Joshua Luongo hat freedomplace1 gedankt
  • PRO
    Overland Remodeling & Builders
    letztes Jahr

Are you planning to get a TV on that space btw?

The sofa and chair with that color is such a good start for a boho style but that rug doesn't belong there.

You can also check this out for inspo.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/query/boho-eclectic-living-room/nqrwns

Joshua Luongo hat Overland Remodeling & Builders gedankt
  • cawaps
    letztes Jahr

I agree with a lot of what's been said. A bigger rug, side and/or coffee tables, table and floor lights, curtains, art.

I probably wouldn't start with paint; I think your biggest issues are all the other stuff and the existing paint could work (so could white but it sounded to me like you were looking at white for a fix, and while it think it could look fine it's not going to fix anything on its own).

If you have the computer skills (or care to get them) make yourself a mood board to virtually try out items before you buy them (like what kulrn and freedomplace did for you above). A lot of the online rug vendors have visualization tools, paint manufacturers have visualization tools, and you can do quite a lot of image manipulation and layering with Word or PowerPoint. Take a picture of your room and insert images of table, lamps, and artwork. This is super helpful for figuring out what will and won't work style-wise and mix-wise without having to actually buy stuff and try it out.

For artwork, my first thought was a large piece on either end of the room, but if you like art and enjoy finding pieces that appeal to you a gallery wall can be a lot of fun (I have way too many pieces of artwork in my house; I'm looking at a gallery wall with 21 pieces on it, and that's just one wall of my living room). Gallery walls are another place where a virtual mock-up is super helpful. Art doesn't have to be paintings or photography; you can hang rugs, quilts, or other textiles, found objects, etc. There are sources for original artwork that aren't crazy expensive, including student sales.

Joshua Luongo hat cawaps gedankt
  • shirlpp
    letztes Jahr

Wow.... @Overland Remodeling & Builders, you combined my comments and a piece of @Elaine Doremus Resumes Written comments.

• cawaps
    letztes Jahr

Rug

Art

Curtains

Side Table

Chair and sofa are just approximations of what you have.

Joshua Luongo hat cawaps gedankt
  • decoenthusiaste
    letztes Jahr

Some inspiration.

Energetic Pops of Color · Mehr Info

Oakland Hills Moroccan Living Room · Mehr Info

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    letztes Jahr

Joshua, can we please have some measurements of the room that include the window sizes and the openings to the room? Then we can draw up a rendition that could help figure out what could go where. I do agree with you Painting the walls and white color and adding your color in with your furniture and decor would be a lot easier. Please get back to us with those measurements because that would help a lot.

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    letztes Jahr

Another question; are you going to need to have a dining room table in the area behind the couch.? How many people use the room daily and how many guests you want to accommodate?

• aliya latif
    letztes Jahr

I wish I could think like you

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    letztes Jahr

I've superimposed a layout of furniture on your room. You have lots of choices for the white media wall. The wall offers you the opportunity to use a very large TV screen on the wall.

• aliya latif
    letztes Jahr

Beverly how did you superimpose

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    letztes Jahr

Allya, I simply use Microsoft Paint for my images. Not as good as those skilled in Photoshop but it gets the point across. It's all cut and paste, coupled with the skill that is developed here on Houzz after the more than 40,000 comments I have posted.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    letztes Jahr

Joshua, have you tried to slide your furniture around to the arrangement I posted above? I think you would be pleased with the outcome.

• Joshua Luongo
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    letztes Jahr

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your time, efforts and comments! For some reason, I can't respond individually to everyone so I'm going to post down below and hope you all get notification!

Questions;

TV in the room- You know I don't know; I feel like may detract from people being social and harm the aesthetic, maybe one on a stand in wheels, I roll out of the closet for big sport events or something haha.

Measurements - will get them soon!

who lives here- It's just me, i haven't entertained too much, i'd like to.

It's a townhouse, built in 2006, 3 floors, whets interesting is in my bedroom (which also needs a lot more design work) lol, is quite more rustic, I know the home is supposed to flow so am wondering if now the blue and orange will throw that off, then again, I don't actually mind that as much.

I was hoping in the living room, to bring elements of green in with plants, jewel tone vases for them.. and a circular wooden table in the middle, or like a velvet/leather brown piece.

Here is the upstairs of the house I was talking about:

In terms of the dining room section there- you know I haven't really decided on a table, I really didn't want to add too much in there because walking then might become a bit cluttered, if anything I was thinking of a breakfast nook along that wall.

there is a little bar there that I do most of my eating at.

Here is a photo of the couch against the white wall.

And here is another shot of the previous set up

The reason I did like this set up, was because the couch there, sort of closes it off a little, like it almost defines the space as a cozy nook.

I'm really thinking of how to make it quite lovely to enjoy a cup of coffee or a book in there, you know, like crisp fall morning- I know that's not a style but these are the things I get hung up on LOL.

I actually do really love the suggestion above with this picture:

You're going to laugh but I almost thought this could work:

I suppose I just like it because of it's character- I dont think the colors will work at all. Maybe I can do some throw pillows instead of such a rug.

The wall that is white now was originally supposed to be a burnt orange/terracotta accent wall, however, literally no color looked good on it, must be like a lighting thing.

When it comes to art- i really love art, I have many favorites across all styles, I know there is a rule about the art piece of your room is where the attention is drawn, so I am a bit overwhelmed about how one hangs and figures out the sizes of multiple pieces of art without clashing.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    letztes Jahr

If you decide to place the sofa in front of the wall, you'll need to move it so it's centered under your downlights. You're likely to have art on the wall and the art should be positioned between the downlights or directly below the downlights.

It's not typical for people to select Chgo Bears or Illini team colors to start a room but there are some rugs that will pull this together. TV screens provide shows, movies, music, documentaries & news to a household. Some of us even use them as a computer monitor. IMO it's better to plan for the screen now.

• shirlpp
    letztes Jahr

Consider purchasing another orange chair. You can put them side by side with a table in between.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    letztes Jahr

Geez, no more orange. Consider leather chairs.

• PRO
    Skyline Window Coverings & Design
    letztes Jahr

Have you thought about adding curtains to each of the windows–just to frame them and add some softness to the space? Hang them above the window to keep the height of the room. I like the idea of having a "space" you've created with the couch in the middle. But, add some personality. If you added a lower buffet to the space, you could a feature wall of art or plants above it, so the couch is looking at something. Or, have the couch facing two chairs with a small table in between them, then add a coffee table in the middle. That would be a nice conversation area. And, you could still put art or plants on the wall. This is a fun plant wall feature: Honeycomb Wall Feature

• aliya latif
    letztes Jahr

How do you superimpose items to decorate room

• er612
    letztes Jahr
    Zuletzt geändert: letztes Jahr

In the bedroom, I'd remove the bench from the end of the bed and add nightstands on either side that extend to the end of the headboard. Then add curtain panels.

Rug would help too:

Definitely add rug and curtains to the living room:

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.