Houzz Logo Print
webuser_931024288

Wrong stain colors or what is wrong here?

Lily S
letztes Jahr

Boring kitchen needs some life. What would you do how could this be improved? I am no design expert so I am all ears and open to all suggestions. Thanks for reading

Kommentare (22)

• herbflavor
    letztes Jahr

maybe shop for new pendants if you want something to do. I wouldnt alter the kitchen components. Its a nice space.

• Mrs. S
    letztes Jahr

I agree it's a really nice space. Black hardware isn't my thing, and I don't think it does your aesthetic any justice, but I'm not a designer.

I really like those woven-backed chairs a lot (with the white seats). Those have a retro-vibe that I think suits your cabinets a lot. I do not care for the "traditional"-looking counter stools, in your space.

I do like the traditional rugs, however, and I kinda think that's a nice juxtaposition. I think your vibe lends itself to a bit more of a minimalistic aesthetic and I think you're doing great.

• Lily S
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    letztes Jahr

Thanks all for the feedback, so the floor and cabinets stain colors don’t clash? For some reason something looks off to me, or too much white between counters and backsplash

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    letztes Jahr

What I see on my monitor is pink cabinets against a yellow floor. Whether it appears that way IRL I don't know, but I suspect it does because you're questioning if they clash. They do. At least on my monitor they do. I don't know what the fix is.

• darbuka
    letztes Jahr

It’s not that the floors and cabinet stain clash…it’s more that the LVP floors are blah, and look more imitative, butting up against real wood.

• Mrs. S
    letztes Jahr

I also see what they see with pink-beige cabinets and the yellow-grayish floor. But at least they're both "warm" tones! And you are covering quite a bit of flooring with the rugs and that takes the focus off the floors.

I do NOT think you have too much white. I love your countertops and backsplash and again, I think you are doing a great job achieving a more minimalistic space.

Here is some inspiration:

What I see in these photos is wood tones and white.... but very limited/no black. The metal tones are silver. I don't think your floors need to "match" your cabinets. I think it's a difference that you can work with.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    letztes Jahr

Not a designer-I don't mind your flooring. i would like to see some of the color from your pretty rug up on counter and island.

• M Miller
    letztes Jahr

I think the floors look fine with the cabinets. I would switch out the black hardware for polished chrome to add gleam.

What I see in your kitchen and family room is that everything is tan or brown. Your counter stools, table, chairs, sofa. Your kitchen is begging for color, and the counter stools would be a perfect opportunity to add it. I would change the stools to something fun, perhaps an MCM vibe, but definitely with color. Then change out the tea kettle from white to a color similar to what you pick for the stools.

The Saarinen Executive stool is quintessential MCM, It comes in a few heights and many colors. However, it is really expensive, but there are knock-offs sold at reasonable prices. Or, there are a ton of other counter stools available in colors. Try to buy something not-tan.

• ci_lantro
    letztes Jahr

The hardware is heavy & overbearing. Nickel or stainless or chrome would be much better. Change the light fixtures & the black outlet cover. IOW's, get rid of all that black. And add a nice dose of real color.

• HU-187528210
    letztes Jahr

Try gold hardware. See if it brings out the right tones in the wood. That may help.

• acm
    letztes Jahr

Do you have a tile backsplash currently, or is it just painted drywall? because that could be a place to bring a bit of color, with a bottle green or other accent. I'm with those who just think that the two rooms are a bit monochromatic (or bi-chromatic) overall and could use a bit more spice.

Rio Del Mar Kitchen With Natural Lighting and Wood Cabinetry · Mehr Info

11.06"x12.8" Porcelain Mosaic Tile Sheet Barcelona Retro Edge Glossy Green · Mehr Info

Sage Green 3x6 Glass Subway Tile, 3"x6" Tiles, Set of 8 · Mehr Info

4"x12" Crystile Wave Subway Tile, Ice Mist Glossy, Set of 10 · Mehr Info

Antic Feelings Lava Verde Ceramic Wall Tile · Mehr Info

• anna_682
    letztes Jahr

My first impression is to get some green in there. Plants, decor, possibly backsplash, etc

• flopsycat1
    letztes Jahr

Just lacks a little life. Add some color with a few accessories Maybe start with a red teakettle.

• Maureen
    letztes Jahr
    Zuletzt geändert: letztes Jahr

Nothing is wrong; the entire space just needs some interest and contrast so as to refect personality. You have the perfect backdrop and hopefully there is a wall for large art; start there.

Examples below are just to highlight how intergrated color/textures (in whatever color combo you like) will create interest. In addition to color, I can see an earthy vibe.

Include the living room.

• User
    letztes Jahr

The cabinets and floor don't match, but they harmonize. It looks fine. Agree with the suggestion to switch out the black hardware and pendants if you want a new look, although really, I can't see anything at all in this space that "needs" to change. It's lovely. And I like your use of rugs.

• Shasta
    letztes Jahr

I think the red accents you used bring out the undesired pink in the cabinets. Green accents, as suggested by acm, may be a better choice that doesn’t bring out those undertones. At any rate I would try some other accent color options.

I’m not a fan of the heavy black hardware because it draws too much attention to itself instead of enhancing the look of your cabinets. They feel like clutter to me.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    letztes Jahr
    Zuletzt geändert: letztes Jahr

you have many, many wood tones. the cabs aren't bad in the last pic (the other pics it looks a little pinkish?)

But the wood table, those wood chairs, the rattan and black,,,it's a bit much

You also have a lot of patterned rugs. I like the colors, but think maybe this one under the table (I'd seriously look for a diff table) is a bit much.

I like your console. try adding some elements on it that works w/the dining table. I'd look for some a bit diff, or refinish that current wood one. try some diff chairs w/it. Cant see if you have a table light or not

new hardware is an option. something a little less bulky. I don't mind the black pendants because you do have the black windows. The stools really don't fit the style. Try a black stool w/a metal finish. Gold or silver is fine, depending on your pref.

Furniture in the other room? pick something that matches the cabinet style

this lighter wood table and solid rug color works a bit better

or if you like a dark charcoal option:

if you want more of an organic feel, try these options. and yes to potted green plants!

If you liek the mcm vibe, you need some art and decor on that console by the stairs.

style the console, hang some cool art on that wall off to the side.

or, you could hang a mirror on that wall (art elsewhere) and style the console w/neutral elements

• PRO
    Kristina Lawrence Interior Design
    letztes Jahr

I haven't read all the comments, but my take on the picture you posted is that everything is FLAT. There is no real texture in there. You need a backsplash with some personality...nothing monotone! Something with pattern, maybe some metal in it. There are so many beautiful options these days, but that will help tremendously. And maybe some clear glass pendants which always give a space a little sparkle. You could use some sparkle. :)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    letztes Jahr

I ahve to agree boring I do suggest the lighting be addressed it should all be LED 4000K to make sure whatever you add works with those cabinets.I would be looking for some colored stools for sure and not that horrible seat finish that you will hare come short season. I think a really nice large format glass tile for the backsplash would be great I like just the glass tile tha looks a bit aqua tint . You could do back painted glass but more expensive and a lot harder to change if you want a cahnge/

• njmomma
    letztes Jahr

It’s a pretty great kitchen. Add large bold colorful art above the doorway going downstairs. Get a tray and add large Salt and Pepper Grinders, napkin holder and a plant on it.

Or just a big bowl of apples. In my house they are eaten every week. Or add limes and lemons to the bowl. Whatever you know will be used by the end of the week to bring in color.

• Alicia
    letztes Jahr

I like your kitchen. I don’t think the floor clashes with the cabinets. I do think your cabinets need a little jewelry, gold, brushed nickel or brass would make things pop!

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.