Houzz Logo Print
meghen_stover

Curb appeal dilemma

Meghen Stover
vor 10 Jahren
What kind of chairs would look good on the porch?
What color bushes and flowers would look good?

I want to remove all shrubs, bushes, and trees and start over.
Please help!!

Thanks!!

Kommentare (6)

• ijkrien
    vor 10 Jahren
    I agree with removing the shutters from the bay window. Adding color with perennials around the foundation will brighten thins up a lot. Don't forget to add annuals in the bed for color all spring thru fall. Most perennials only bloom once a season so adding annuals for color all season keeps the colors coming. Paint your front door an eye catching color, and adding a small seating area(two chairs & small table). The planters don't do much for the style of house. If you want planters there I'd pick planters that would match your door color to keep drawing the eye up the steps filled with lots of eye popping annuals. I also agree with making the columns thicker if you have the extra in the budget.
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    vor 10 Jahren
    If you were to take in only the right side of the house, and then take in only the left side of the house, I think you would find that you have two different houses there! The scallops over the porch put me in mind of Hansel and Gretl, and the protruding bay window is simply a suburban-looking solution to brightening up a living room. Will you really sit on that porch? I just don't see people lounging on their front porches anymore--plus that's a very small space. Remove all the clutter in the railing and the scallops (and those swans, please) and simplify the look of the porch. You probably don't even need a railing at all--a couple well-placed urns will define the space on either side of the stairs (on the porch) and showcase the front door. Also, bring down the address to a discreet and functional set of numbers on the wall to the left of the front door (as viewed from the street). Declutter those stairs. Paint the porch light, paint the steps darker, paint the risers between steps a shade lighter than the steps--trim around door matches risers on stairs) This is a fantastic opportunity to rejuvenate the space for just a little bit of financial investment. Good luck!
  • decoenthusiaste
    vor 10 Jahren
    What mrs Doubtfire said... Then spend some $$ on sod for the lawn and a pretty ornamental tree (dogwood, redbud, Japanese maple) to see through the bay window.
  • PRO
    Curb Appeal Landscaping
    vor 10 Jahren
    I like your idea of removing all plantings and trees in the front yard and starting over. As a previous contributor stated, a layered system will work best. Evergreens of size 3-4 ft along the house foundation and perennials in front of the them. I recommend grouping the same plant material in areas. It will have more of an impact. An example: group three evergreens in a triangle pattern at the house foundation under the curved window. This will give the planting bed some much needed depth.

No need to spend money on sod. Enhance the turf that you currently have with a spring and fall seeding.
  • PRO
    garden design online
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    Replace the posts,the door,the stair...
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.