Houzz Logo Print
chcarvin

To wood panel or not to wood panel

chelsea carvin
vor 9 Jahren
My husband and I bought a house to flip and the den and one bedroom have wood paneled walls. Would keeping the wood panelling increase or decrease the value of the home? If decrease, should we paint over or take down? We have no idea what's behind them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Kommentare (10)

• PRO
    Timeless Interiors
    vor 9 Jahren
    You probably wouldn't want to take down the panels because you don't know what you are going to find. Panels and popcorn ceilings are always dangerous to remove.

As to painting vs not, it really depends on your market. Lighter is in, and so are those washed or distressed looks. If you are in a market which will appeal to a younger family, follow a look that you would see in pottery barn, anthropologie, or restoration hardware. If you are appealing to an older crowd, painting it might be a mistake because natural is often preferred. If it's in an area where you get alot of cabins, like Colorado, you can really go either way towards the younger or reflecting the general style.

Short answer, I just wouldn't tear it out. And seeing the lighting fixtures, I'd maybe focus on that. It is a little dark, but a lighter floor option and natural light will also brighten up the room. 50/50 on paint for alot, but not all of it as Connie suggested.
  • Lori East
    vor 8 Jahren

What style is the house overall?

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    vor 8 Jahren

I agree with the above said and being a home builder and a complete home remodeler, if you want to save money because it's an investment and you going to flip it and let the other guy worry about it, just paint it.

If you want to make a little more money, you would have to invest a little more and really do the place up, get rid of everything, bring it to up today's trend, etc.

With that said, everything comes down to the neighborhood, what style home it is, and your budget, put everything together and see what is the best option for you... put a bandaid on it or do something nice and creative.

Good luck.

• dclostboy
    vor 8 Jahren

Might be fun to keep in den, but remove in bedroom

• miacometlady
    vor 8 Jahren
    I'd leave it as is and spend your money on the lights, ceiling fan, floor. Half the people on this site and potential buyers will be on either side of the, 'do I paint wood question'. But everyone will hate those ceiling fixtures and want a nice floor.
  • A Fox
    vor 8 Jahren
    Another look you might consider is keeping the paneling stained but painting the cabinets at the far end of the room white (leave the paneling at the back of them stained) then add white crown molding and a substantial white painted base board (maybe 6"). Then definitely change out the light fixtures and fan then stage for a country colonial look.
  • studio10001
    vor 8 Jahren

Er. That look was sent to the Salvation Army in 2000, wasn't it ? :)

I think you can stage the den in its period.

If in doubt lean toward MCM.

• Tess Wakefield
    vor 8 Jahren
    Paint.
  • Lindsay K
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

If it were my house, I would have to paint it white as the dark would bother me. We've had painted paneling in 2 homes now, and I love the look of it. I can see the point of just focusing on lighting and floors, which need to be done regardless, and letting the new owner decide what to do with it though. I think for the general consumer, a bright white room would stage better and look bigger in photographs, but I'm sure some people do like look of the wood as well. I wouldn't remove it though!

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.