Houzz Logo Print
kmhbt

Help! Have to chose cabinets this weekend and still can't decide!

kmhbt
vor 11 Jahren
I've spent more hours on this web site that I would like to admit but now that I'm down to the wire with my selection I'm panicking. I would so love any input for the Houzz community. These are my two cabinet choices. They will be white on the perimeter of the kitchen for sure but I'm still undecided about whether the island should be dark or white as well. I definitely don't want a modern looking kitchen.
Option 1
Option 2

Kommentare (77)

• mmonika
    vor 11 Jahren
    I surprised myself and picked option 1 because of the construction of option 2. I love shaker, its timeless, it can be modern, it can be traditional. It can be anything you want. Option 1, is definitely traditional.
    What I do not like about this option 2 is the joints. They are joined flush but give it some time and you could notice that the paint always crack at these joints because there is always flex/movement between these 2 pieces. If you had a shaker style, where there was actually a groove between those joints it would hide that crack. I would ask the manufacture about that and what their warranty against that happening.
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    Hmmm.. Definitely don't want to deal with poor construction issues down the road. I don't know much about Shaker styles--do most have a gap between the two pieces?
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    Just curious (because I am really bad at this whole design thing) for those that say that option #1 is more traditional and #2 is more modern/transitional is it because of the extra indentations on the inset panel? I was just curious about what aspects change the look. Thank you again so much for everyone's input. I honestly can't express how much it has helped.
  • PRO
    Mackenzie Austin Design
    vor 11 Jahren
    I disagree on one being more traditional. Either profile can go either way! It's really a matter of what hardware you pair with it, as well as the other finishes. I prefer option 1 and my first reason (maybe this is because I have two young boys) is wear. Personally, I feel option 2 will dent more (at least more noticably), because of the sparp edges. A knick in the edge will be more noticable on the sharp 90 degree angle than it would be on a softened edge. I also think option 2 will show more dust on the inner lip of the panel.
    As for colour: soft white on perimeter and brown stain on island! Traditional or Modern - it works. Have the stain be either lighter or darker than the floor, not the exact same intensity. Preferrably, the floor would be darker. Make sure you have your countertop(s) chosen before choosing the paint and stain colours. You have fewer options in stone than in stain and paint.
    Good Luck! ...and try not to stress out too much. Remember, everybody has an opinion but in the end, you're the one who has to live with it every day.
  • PRO
    ct design studio
    vor 11 Jahren
    Yes, the detail on opt 1 leans a little more towards traditional. You can't go wrong with either of these, truly. As far as gapping on the doors go, your cabinets will expand and contract throughout the year as the temperature and humidity level in the house changes. If you live in a cold weather/winter climate, you will notice it more in the winter, where everything shrinks up a bit with the furnace running and low humidity. You may notice some gapping in your cabinetry but this doesn't make them defective. If you are going with wood cabinets, opt 1 will still give you that crisp detail, unlike the softer detail of thermafoil.
  • PRO
    Oliver Designs
    vor 11 Jahren
    White cabinets on the perimeter with a white island can really brighten a kitchen space and can be made to fit in a traditional or modern setting equally well. Your choice of countertops and hardware can complete your desired traditional look.
  • PRO
    Chroma Design
    vor 11 Jahren
    Door profile doesn't determine separation from changes in humidity. Solid joinnery and construction prevents or minimizes this. The difference is the with a plain shaker style, there is a lack of detail to distract the eye so it only seems more noticable.
    For your recent question, yes, it is the extra indentations that make option 1 inherently more traditional. Plain shaker is timeless and beautiful but its flat profile doesn't immediately say traditional. Traditional to me has qualities of colonial or Victorian. Shaker can be taken in many style directions, as we discussed earlier, it's the details that really solidify the overall style.
    You might consider working with a designer to help you fulfill this. You've done an excellent job so far, but having someone to collaborate with and guide you will give you a great piece of mind.
  • PRO
    Mackenzie Austin Design
    vor 11 Jahren
    I agree Chroma (and it's not because I'm a little partial), working with a designer is money well spent. There are things you would have never thought of had it not been for the designer bringing it to your attention. Now with that said, you do get a lot of amazing advice on this site!!! But you'll never get the full feel of a space unless you're standing in it.
    Do it once and do it right.
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    I would love any recommendations for a designer in the DC area. Unfortunately I won't be able to get one until after the house is built. The way this builder works is very crazy. I have to drive an hour to pick out my cabinets one day, then I drive an hour in a different direction to pick out the floors and then another place to pick out the counters. It makes it very difficult to ensure that everything will match. I loved the suggestion to pick out things in a specific order but unfortunately I won't be able to do that. Once I decide on these cabinets I'm sure I'll be back on here asking for countertop advice!
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    In answer to question above, unfortunately I haven't been able to view the styles in the color I want. I've seen #2 but not 1.

The soft white in the line (Cardell) has a yellow undertone so that's why I'm going white. Luckily it's not a super bright white. They told me I couldn't get the glazing on their Shaker cabinet.
  • Jillian Collings
    vor 11 Jahren
    modern is Option 2
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    Definitely don't want modern
  • uhoh_busted
    vor 11 Jahren
    Really like Option 2 with the stained island. Will you use the same countertop? We have dark cherry cabinets of that same style on the perimeter (3 sides) of our open floorplan kitchen, with medium-dark hardwood floors, and are contemplating replacing our current island (sink with raised bar behind it) with white cabinetry and a granite counter-top that picks up the wood and backsplash stone colors. Kind of ending up with the reverse of what you are planning!
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    That sounds really pretty! Our kitchen is pretty small (photo above) so we picked white to try to brighten it and keep it from looking too closed in. I think Cherry is really nice. I'm not sure what countertop yet but we'll do the same throughout. We've been told the different color island is enough and that having two different countertops as well may be a little much. I think for our layout that's probably true. I do love the look of the wood top on the island which may look really nice with yours especially if it were a dark wood top. Unfortunately for health reasons I can't do the wood top :(
  • Sara Ballinger
    vor 11 Jahren
    Option #2 is timeless and versatile. Hardware can create the traditional look you are after. If your space is small, I'd consider keeping both the island and perimeter white. White reflects light so much and will really brighten/open your space... especially if your floors and countertops are dark. Good luck!
  • yvesun
    vor 11 Jahren
    option 1's grooves are hard to keep clean. I have them!!!
    Although, option 2 is in many design mags shown on news stands as being "modern" you can choose other accessories to incorporate a more traditional look, like the handles on the doors/drawers, the "walnutty" coloured floors, the cappuccino stained island with a white marbled top? the lighting, back-splash and of course the counter-tops which could be in a darker wood tone.
  • PRO
    ct design studio
    vor 11 Jahren
    I voted for opt 2, and suggesting finishing your island with panels or beadboard to give it a more fnished look.
    Drew · Mehr Info

Vickery Residence · Mehr Info

Keep it classic. You can go with hardwood or tile floors and have plenty of countertop choices. Let us know what you end up with.
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    Can someone tell me how I see the number of votes each one has? I see 70 votes but can't seem to see the breakdown.
  • feeny
    vor 11 Jahren
    I know this sounds silly, but it doesn't let you see the tally until you have voted. So even though it is your own poll, you have to vote in it to see the results.
  • Mary Grace
    vor 11 Jahren
    Number 1, looks pretty, I like pretty and I have almost the same color in my kitchen. With glass knobs that reflect colors on everything in the kitcen when the sun shines on them.
    Good Luck.
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    Thank you -- just randomly voted only to find the vote neck in neck! I guess that makes the decision more difficult but like someone said above it may also mean either choice is good :)
  • feeny
    vor 11 Jahren
    Yes, I'd take it as a sign that you can't go wrong with either.
  • PRO
    Mackenzie Austin Design
    vor 11 Jahren
    Exactly. They'll both look beautiful. What one do you like better? What's your gut? If someone said to you you had to have #2 and that you couldn't pick #1, would you be okay with that, or would you wish you could have the other option?
    They're so similar that you're not going to get a completely different looking kitchen if you chose one over the other.
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    So here's a strange question -- which one has a more Pottery Barn look?
  • feeny
    vor 11 Jahren
    Well, in a quick look at the details of two white kitchens currently on the Pottery Barn website, one has cabinets that are more modern than either of these, with flat doors with no trim; the other has simple Shaker cabinets that look more like option #2, but with thinner trim.
  • Kendra DeCoste
    vor 11 Jahren
    No 1 is very traditional, No 2 can be transitional or modern. I too wanted to avoid "modern", which to me meant super sleek and minimalist. We did the shaker cabinets that you used in cherry with an espresso finish and love, love, love them. They are simple and let the rest of the kitchen and appliances shine. I think the traditional model would look best if you were doing a glaze that you wanted to show up, as for that you would need more grooves on the door style. Otherwise I would go for #2. I know it's so difficult when you are spending so much money and you want it all to be perfect, but whatever you choose you will love, I promise.
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    Just submitted my final choices -- went with #2 since it seemed to have the most flexibility with style. Thank you all so much for all of your help. I will post photos when they are in.
  • PRO
    Chroma Design
    vor 11 Jahren
    Good for you. There was no wrong answer. It's all in the details. Good luck and can't wait to see the final result.
  • PRO
    Anne Hentz Interiors
    vor 11 Jahren
    I agree with Emily. The photo she showed you was a Donna Venegas kitchen. She is an amazing kitchen designer. You can never go wrong following one of her designs. I like the idea of a contrast with your center island. I also vote for #2. Don't forget that your hardware will really make it!
  • PRO
    Carm Longo Kitchen Designer
    vor 11 Jahren
    Hello...Option 1 is more transitional and becoming more and more popular...gives the kitchen a more soft feeling and adds warmth to the room....Option 2 is more contemporary...and while still popular....keep in mind it adds defined lines to the room for a clean cut look. What look are you trying to achieve? Having an island in a contrast colour is still very popular....and in my opinion will remains so as there truly are very little variance options we can do in a kitchen....so that is a great idea and adds interest to your kitchen!
  • PRO
    vor 11 Jahren
    Hello...Option 1 is more transitional and becoming more and more popular...gives the kitchen a more soft feeling and adds warmth to the room....Option 2 is more contemporary...and while still popular....keep in mind it adds defined lines to the room for a clean cut look. What look are you trying to achieve? Having an island in a contrast colour is still very popular....and in my opinion will remains so as there truly are very little variance options we can do in a kitchen....so that is a great idea and adds interest to your kitchen!
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    Well darn. As I said above I picked #2. I would prefer a softer look but it's a bit too late now.
  • yvesun
    vor 11 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 11 Jahren
    no. 2 has a more country traditional pottery barn look. :)

the votes are at opt 1=47 opt 2=63
  • designgirl178
    vor 11 Jahren
    I would also suggest doing a darker color in the base cabinets. I've done it and everyone including myself loves them (mine are dark wood on the base with a painted antique white on the walls. Don't forget to leave a few wall cabinets with glass fronts to lighten the look and add interest. I added a blind corner instead or that huge corner cabinet that no one can reach into. They look like I had a designer do them. I also have style two, they are easier to clean than those with lots of cranies in the doors. Also add a stylish crown molding to the tops, if you go more lavish with that your cabinets can be stock and look designed. Good luck.
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    Thank you guys -- you both made me feel better :)
  • uhoh_busted
    vor 11 Jahren
    It's going to be gorgeous! Congratulations!
  • greenthumb2
    vor 11 Jahren
    :=) best of luck on your fabulous remodel.
  • archer28
    vor 11 Jahren
    Option 2 is darker which will compliment the white cabinets better so option 2 all the way!
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    Thank you so much everyone. Project is almost complete so I will post pics soon.
  • PRO
    vor 11 Jahren
    Yes! Please post pics!!!
  • kat2u23
    vor 11 Jahren
    So I would like to know if you went with the Cappuchino and if you like it. Did you get cardell? I am about to purchase and can't decide between Cappuchino or Bay.
  • campcook52
    vor 11 Jahren
    I have similar style cabinetry, just a heads up if you are a baker. Due to the sharp corner angles it is difficult cleaning challenge.
  • PRO
    vor 11 Jahren
    For cleaning cabinetry....keep a good quality, soft paint brush handy to get into all those nooks!!!
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    I can't thank everyone enough for all of the insight on the cabinets. I'm working on selecting the backsplash next :) (I apologize for not seeing the comment about the colors earlier -- I did go with Cardell and have been very pleased with the Cappuchino island. I think Bay would look really nice as well though)
  • PRO
    Chroma Design
    vor 10 Jahren
    It is terrific. Congratulations!
  • kmhbt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thank you! Thank you so much for your help. All of your insight and the photos you shared made me feel so much better about the process. Much, much appreciated :)
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    It looks beautiful!!!! Great choices!!! And so worth the wait I bet!!! Here is a great link for some really nice glass backsplash choices!!! http://www.bellavitatile.com/products/categoryList.aspx?catID=709
  • PRO
    Le Corbu Fan
    vor 10 Jahren
    In a good millwork job the stiles and rails (exposed frame) of drawers are NOT the same width as in the doors; since their proportions are different if the ther are 2" wide for the door make sure the drawer is at least 1 1/2 wide, Ideally 1"....they will look well made and much nicer.
  • PRO
    Atlas Custom Cabinets Ltd
    vor 9 Jahren
    It looks good! I would have chosen #1 because it looks more fancy, but #2 is easier to clean. Are you happy with your decision?
  • carolegatza
    vor 7 Jahren

We used Kraftmaid cabinets in canvas with a caramel glaze for the main area and used Saddle with a suede finish for the island. It is still a work in progress.. There is still matching crown molding to be added.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.