Houzz Logo Print
zmortensen

To tile over tile or pull up the old tile??

zmortensen
vor 9 Jahren

My lazy bf wants to put the new tile, which is larger, over the old tile on the floor in most of the house. Has anyone done this? What are my arguments against this that I can use if not a good idea?

Kommentare (9)

• marilynellis
    vor 9 Jahren
    Don't be lazy. Do it right and remove old tile. Otherwise it will be uneven and floor too high.
  • hayleydaniels
    vor 9 Jahren

Tell your bf that the doors won't open with the new tile as it will be too high.

• User
    vor 9 Jahren
    We did this. But we have pocket doors that were installed 30 yrs ago to go over padding and carpet. So we have more than enough space to accommodate the new floor level. If you have swing doors, put tiles over the old at the doors, and check to see if they work. If the old tiles are in good shape, well adhered, are LEVEL, you use the right products, and the doors can swing freely, you should be fine.
  • PRO
    TileWorks
    vor 9 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 9 Jahren

It would be fine to do if tile is currently laid directly on the slab and isnt cracking. May have to trim some doors, pop of base etc. Could save you some big dollars. If its already laid on a mud bed or backerboard I would rip it all out as the thickness will become an issue in various areas. Good luck with your project!

• PRO
    Tile Plus, Inc.
    vor 8 Jahren

Hello zmortensen,

I fully agree with what TileWorks said.

But marilynellis, is also right. If you do decide to tile over existing tile, make sure you can level everything off so that the new tile installed is level with minimal curbing between the pieces.

Not to mention, appliances fitted between your floor and countertop may need to have their legs adjusted so that they still fit.

Best of luck!

• PRO
    BuildEx
    vor 8 Jahren

I would only tile over wall tile. I think with floor tile, you are taking a big risk with the new tile bonding to the old tile.

• PRO
    Mark Van Osdol/Van Osdol Ceramic Tile Inc
    vor 7 Jahren
    My opinion is to always remove the tile to clean concrete. Never do something half baked. You won't regret doing the job 100% correct.
  • PRO
    Residential Resurrections
    vor 6 Jahren

Tile-overs can be succcesful and cost effective if several factors are analysed. Door, threshold and toilet flange heights may need adjustment. Existing layout should be flat and without cracks. Larger tiles may need a medium bed mortar and leveling techniques to achieve a flat layout (which further raises the layout). Adhesion is not an issue if the existing tile is abraded lightly (I use a diamond cup wheel in an angle grinder).

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.