Houzz Logo Print
jennysmed

Bare Hallway - I need help please!

jennysmed
vor 8 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 8 Jahren
I have a real problem turning my ideas into reality. I keep trying things I see and like in magazines etc. but they never seem to work so I have stopped which means I have quite a bare hallway!

I would really appreciate thoughts and ideas on how to 'fill' the hallway.

Do I keep the bench, or replace it with a console (we tried but it looked weird with the rad showing through). I have bought a picture from Loaf (red roses) and think we will put this up above it. Any other ideas?

Where we have the shoe storage (and orchid) - what should we put on top/ over it?

Finally, what should I put on the wall to the left of the door as you look at it?

Generally, how would you approach this hallway? I would really appreciate any comments, thank you!

Kommentare (32)

• jennysmed
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Also attached photo of the shoe storage...
  • alant1000
    vor 8 Jahren
    I think a really nice large mirror would look good about that bench.

You could also consider having a bench cushion made to measure to fit on the top to give it more texture and make it look more cosy. I had this bench cushion made at my local haberdashery, it's not too expensive to have done.
  • jennysmed
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Hi alant1000 - Thanks for your response. I was thinking a mirror also, but perhaps above the show storage as it is more 'on the way out the door'? Interesting what you say about the cushion. An alternative we had considered was the Neptune Rupert stool. What do you think?
  • jacksplash
    vor 8 Jahren
    Your bench is very cute you could always get a long cushion made to go on top.
    Have you ever considered putting a cover on the radiator or would that push the bench out too much? Or maybe a console something like this which would help to hide your radiator and then you could hang a picture above it.
    Here's one I found but it's for reference only as you may have a different style preference.
  • minnie101
    vor 8 Jahren
    I really like the bench, it has a touch of scandi style with the throw. I'd keep the bench and add a feature of scandi styLe artwork. I've just saved the first pics I saw from achica but look up mid century scandi prints which I think will match with the rest of your decor from what can be seen. On the right wall as you come through the front door id add either a wooden chair and coat hooks, similar to image from mad about the house (not necessarily blue!). Or go for a pair of matching tables (console style but obviously smaller.) and then a large roundish mirror over the top which spans part of the tables and a foot or so below ceiling height. If you go for a console rather than the bench I would get a radiator cover, putting furniture in front of a radiator is tricky
  • PRO
    Highbury Design Ltd
    vor 8 Jahren
    must have a lot of echo.. not very welcoming? What about patterned fabric panels on those walls- as large as possible, to absorb sound. (some Shoji screens would be nice too, but I'm biased 'cos we make them!)
  • Jonathan
    vor 8 Jahren
    Fung Shui says that you should have a circular rug- not sure I believe in the fung shui thing but a circular rug does work in a room with lots of exits.
    I think you need to fill the room more too. Art, full length mirror, much bigger plant, chandelier
  • Sandie Gallagher
    vor 8 Jahren
    Hi Jenny
    What a lovely space. I agree with Jonathan that a round rug would look great there in a warm colour. Not sure how high your radiator is but there are a number of higher standing hall tables on the market from glass to the ornate one someone has posted a picture of which would fit over your radiator and drawing the eye up with some art work family photos or mirror would look very inviting. Maybe you could move your bench to another place and perhaps put a comfy chair beside your shoe drawers and I really love the idea of the coat hooks to maybe grouped with the chair and shoes. Hope what ever you decide your happy with and please post the finished look. Good luck.
  • jennysmed
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Jacksplash - what did you search for to find this? I have considered finding a radiator cover or console to go over the rad, but struggled to find one that works. Interested to know where to look? (the bench is actually from another room so not a problem if we replace it in the hallway.
  • jennysmed
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    minnie101 - do you have a picture of how the two tables might look together as I can't picture it, but sounds like it might work. The space is quite narrow behind the door so a chair might not fit, but I will have a play around with other furniture to see how this might look. Thanks!
  • jennysmed
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Sandie - if you have any links to (UK sourced) higher standing hallway tables that might work, I would value input. I think this is definitely going to be the way forward..... Thanks.
  • minnie101
    vor 8 Jahren
    Jenny, try a bespoke radiator case if its not a standard size. I've used Jali before or if you want something funky have a look at couture cases. I'll have a look for some tables!
  • jacksplash
    vor 8 Jahren
    Try googling "console to cover radiator" it should show you some good options.))
  • Sandie Gallagher
    vor 8 Jahren
    Hi Jenny

I just googled Radiator console tables and covers UK and there were number of interesting ones that came up. Perhaps measure the height of your Radiator and check normal console tables first - it maybe that you won't need to look at specific Radiator console tables. Not sure on heat effects from radiators not having one. If you are worried about still seeing the radiator under the console you could maybe group some tall vases or jar deniers in different sizes. There are lots of great ideas for grouping through out Houzz. If you don't have any already you could play with to see if you like the effect perhaps a relative or friend could loan you some to try out to save the expense in case you really don't like the look. I think the main thing you do need to remember is that it is a walkway so try not to over crowd or cause tripping hazards if you go this way. Have fun what ever you decide.
  • User
    vor 8 Jahren
    We think a circular rug would work a lot better in this space than the current rectangular one. This cream one would look great, but if impractical darker colours are available.
  • User
    vor 8 Jahren
    Sorry here it is!
  • PRO
    Ocean Home Designs
    vor 8 Jahren
    How about trying a decorative mirror with a lovely frame tied into the style of your decor?

It will aid in making the space appear bigger (you look through the surface of a mirror rather than at it) and help bounce more light around in the space - really helping it feel more spacious.

The decorative design (and the fact people love to look at themselves) will really help distract the eye from the radiator if that helps?
  • PRO
    Ocean Home Designs
    vor 8 Jahren
    Oh, and coat / hat stands often make a nice feature as well as being quite practical.
  • PRO
    Highbury Design Ltd
    vor 8 Jahren
    I don't mean to be rude but what is this obsession with hiding the radiator? Some of the best interior design involves highlighting the mundane, not hiding it.
  • elisabeth2803
    vor 8 Jahren
    How about painting the radiator in a colour to compliment the artwork you have bought. Red maybe too bold for your taste, but if there is a background colour that you like, try that. In other words try and make the radiator part of the overall scheme.
  • Serel Ceyani
    vor 8 Jahren
    a full length mirror would look great on the long wall. I wouldn't cover the radiator I think it's great that there's no fuss around the lovely bench. I would paint the entrance wall a nice tinted colour and hang a glass chandelier which would be the centre of attraction with everything else doing what it already does. nice and relaxed, simple and minimalistic works. if the space is cluttered it will take away what simplicity you have achieved. I like it a lot
    jennysmed hat Serel Ceyani gedankt
  • laurajane89
    vor 8 Jahren
    They may not be your taste but I'm doing my hallway up too and these are my faves :-)
  • jennysmed
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    I love these! Thanks for sharing
  • jennysmed
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Thank you everyone so much for sharing your thoughts and ideas. I have so much to get researching on and thinking about now. When I have the hallway done, I will post a results photo. Thank you. Jenny
  • PRO
    Ballo Bains Artwork
    vor 8 Jahren

I think a nice Venetian mirror would look great and a contemporary artwork

• mrshste
    vor 8 Jahren

Lovely, large space. I think it needs a warmer colour on the walls to make it more inviting and less clinical. I think that and a large mirror could make all the difference.

• PRO
    GuigsART
    vor 8 Jahren

Hi.

Have you ever considered a real interesting eye catching piece of art work to really brighten up an area, I think a select piece of art would really make the space stand out, add interest, colour, texture and add a great talking point to the room....

Please check out my website if like the idea and please get in contact, commission work is also welcomed so if you like a particular style I can do in a select colour palette and size but with this it can only be done as a original piece and not a print.....but all prints i can do to the same size or smaller than my original paintings, so lots of options.

www.GuigsART.co.uk

• PRO
    WITHIN HOME
    vor 8 Jahren

Hi Jenny,

You've got a lovely hallway, super spacious!

You could combine your bench and the shoe rack with a storage bench like [this[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/products/shoe-storage-bench-with-drawer-prvw-vr~40410570):

Shoe Storage Bench With Drawer · Mehr Info
    Keeps your hallway spacious ;).

• PRO
    Howard Butler Furniture
    vor 7 Jahren

Not being biased, but if it was my hall. I would leave minimalist clean white walls, with this striking focal point. Strong furniture against clean walls look great and is a focal point.

• PRO
    Feature Radiators
    vor 7 Jahren

What about a Bench radiator?! You could replace the current radiator with a bench style model which would solve the issue of having a radiator behind a bench. We have various styles available. The one pictured is the Noa but we also offer more traditional or ultra modern designs. Let me know if you want any more information.

Heating and seating combined! · Mehr Info

• Joanna C
    vor 7 Jahren
    Is your shoe storage big enough? I'd probably prefer a large chest of drawers instead of a console to have more storage + a nice mirror above. Also, in our house, we've actually move radiators to accommodate a chest + mirror + chest. It is more usable and looks a lot better. You could try doing that too.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.