Houzz Logo Print
lynb2004

Planting ideas

lynb2004
vor 8 Jahren
Has anyone got any ideas as to what I can plant at the front of my house, the bed is small and In front of a bay window. It has morning sun.
I like modern but with a bit of colour. Any help would be appreciated.

Kommentare (14)

• pannacotta
    vor 8 Jahren

The bed looks awfully narrow, what are the measurements?

• Jonathan
    vor 8 Jahren

some sort of climber I think.

How about a Virginia Creeper or a Clematis?

• hanis aman
    vor 8 Jahren
    u can plant this ground cover... simple n nice... the color of the green with the yellow flower can attract n make it beautiful... name: perennial peanut plant
  • lynb2004
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Hi pannacotta
    Yes it is really narrow that why I'm struggling, bed is only 12 inches wide but 6ft long, any ideas would be appreciated :)
  • Matthew Decorator
    vor 8 Jahren
    Lavender?
  • sianember
    vor 8 Jahren

Ornamental flowering quince (Chaenomeles not sure about the sp.), or Herringbone Cotoneaster (the Horizontalis var.) or Pyracantha if you're not likely to get scratched by it. Under-planted with variegated ivy to soften the edges of the tarmac, just trim it back if you don't want it growing up the wall & maybe a few spring flowering bulbs, Snakes Head Fritillaries are quite easy to grow & a change from the usual Narcissus or daffs & don't leave masses of dying foliage once they're done. Plant in clumps of 3 or 5 rather than in a line. Boston ivy is nice but it's deciduous so you still have a bare patch in winter. I'd ditch that pot, that little tree looks past its best.

• pannacotta
    vor 8 Jahren

I would have said Chaenomeles or Pyracantha but I don't think there is enough space (height) for either.
    Some simple evergreen planting such as Hellebores or Pachysandra with some small Narcissi among them could work.
    Perhaps add height and colour in large pots either side of the door.

• pannacotta
    vor 8 Jahren

And get some muck or decent compost dug in as the soil looks poor.

• minnie101
    vor 8 Jahren

I'm not a gardener but I would just cover the bed with slate chippings or similar and add the interest with potted plants

• Lee Bestall
    vor 8 Jahren

Perhaps plant a box hedge or lavender hedge?

• Trisha Goodwin
    vor 8 Jahren

As a keen gardener, (and a professional textile designer by trade) I have had to cope with similar problem of my own in the past, marrying the aesthetic with the practical and fairly easy to do in such a space with the same type of morning light. I read many books and talked to many gardeners and came to much the same conclusions as a earlier commentator above (Tom Flanagan). I would say his suggestions are excellent, he obviously knows what he is talking about. Low growing ground cover plants, won't give you any height (which you really need) and climbing plants won't give you any foliage or flowers in winter (they can look messy very quickly too), lavender and such like, fine is high summer, not so the rest of the year. No, I would go with his suggestions of of a few hebe, daphne, euonymus, viburnum davidii and skimmia. These will give height and all year round foliage, and provide the backbone of the border. You can then add a few extra perennials if you wish and most of all - bulbs, which are much under used in these situations, but absolutely brilliant! You can have ones that flower in spring, summer, autumn and even winter (the wonderful kaffir lily which comes in bright pink or red flowers from late autumn through winter, even in the snow). This means you have colour among the backbone of shrubs, providing year round interest. The great thing is, you don't need to do anything much with bulbs either, once you've planted them the first year. Good luck!

• PRO
    Nandina Gardens Ltd
    vor 8 Jahren

The first thing I would suggest (echoing pannacotta) is to get some soil improver through it.

Depending on the level of maintenance you want, seasonal bedding would work through there as the root systems on these require very little space. Box hedging, lavander, verbena bonariensis, leucanthemum and asters could all add colour and a bit of height, but go for the smaller growing varieties.

More than happy to suggest a few more plants should you need. All the best with your driveway and borders!

• PRO
    Lidia Zitara
    vor 8 Jahren

May I suggest Brunnera 'jack frost' and Ajuga reptans 'Bronze baby' ?

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.