Houzz Logo Print
sophieuremartin

How to disguise this flat roof?

sophieuremartin
vor 8 Jahren

We have built an extension. The flat roof now dominates the view from this sash window and blocks most of the view of the garden.

How do I improve it? Should I have window boxes outside or plants on the inside window? Or should I clad the roof with something or cover with decorative pebbles/gravel? Or another idea?

Thanks

Kommentare (15)

• embzop
    vor 8 Jahren

Artificial grass is so much better than it used to be and you really can't tell the difference between that and the real thing. It would look much more appealing to look out of the window and see some greenery. It would also be very light and depending on the construction of the roof, it may not be able to take anything heavy.

• alant1000
    vor 8 Jahren
    Artificial grass is a good idea if it won't add too much weight and allows the roof to breathe and dry out after rainfall. I've not seen it done before but it seems like a good idea potentially. Alternatively you could add some planters around the edges maybe?
  • PRO
    JMC Decorators
    vor 8 Jahren

Hi you have to be really careful what you do on a flat felt roof. Adding any kind of stone my puncture the felt and cause on end of problems. Also keep any planters close to the edge of the roof

• M J
    vor 8 Jahren

Be careful with planters on the edge, you don't want to kill someone below if it gets windy!

• sophieuremartin
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Thank you all for your comments. I hadn't even thought of AstroTurf!
    Could planters damage the felt through either weight or damp?
    Could I put decking over the felt? I just think it looks so dark and harsh.
  • Marina
    vor 8 Jahren

I´ve has artificial grass. Not on a roof, but it looked fabulous and given the budget I would go for it any time over the real thing. It would look great on your roof, but would suggest having i professionally fitted to get the edges just right.

• Jonathan
    vor 8 Jahren
    Put some window film on the lower part of the window to Fran your view upwards
  • Jonathan
    vor 8 Jahren
    *frame your view........ Just seeing the top of trees and sky will be lovely
  • PRO
    Shutterly Fabulous
    vor 8 Jahren

The suggestion about covering the lower-half of the windows is great - it really does focus your view up and out to the lightest part of the sky. We have just completed this shutter project on a similar style of window - the bottom and top shutters open independently and of course, unlike window film, you can open them right up to look out when you want. A nicely tended window box on the sill would screen things too - but maybe not all year round. Good luck!

Before and after shutter installation · Mehr Info

• Catherine Hounslow
    vor 8 Jahren

It sounds as if you would have to be careful not to damage the roof so maybe some lovely plants on the sill to draw your eye away from it . Could a trailing plant like clematis cover some of it ,without doing too much damage?Perhaps trained around the edges?

• Natalie Patton
    vor 8 Jahren
    Is it accessible? Could you make it accessible? I'd add a railing for safely and have a terrace area with some plants and outdoor furniture
  • rach1922
    vor 8 Jahren

I was going to suggest a living roof, I think there is one on here somewhere in the latest edition

• sophieuremartin
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Thank you all! I will investigate a living roof and window boxes, as well as fake grass. Sadly, it's a listed building so we can't convert into a terrace otherwise I'd be right on to that.
  • PRO
    Property by Design
    vor 8 Jahren

A living roof is a fantastic idea. Not only does it look appealing, by it helps with the environment and wildlife.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.