Houzz Logo Print
adriennepratt

Cedar siding - pressure washing tall house

adriennepratt
vor 8 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 8 Jahren

Hey there, my newly purchased, cedar-sided home is not very old - 10 years - but has not been maintained in that time. It needs repainting, but the cedar siding has to be cleaned before that, of course. I'd appreciate advice on how to go about it (bearing in mind that I am a total newbie on a limited budget, which is pushing me the DIY route). I am presuming that pressure-washing is the way to go. But there are two issues that complicate it the process.

The first is that there is a residue of the product that was used previously to protect the wood - kind of like a varnish, rather than an oil, though it clearly wasn't a traditional varnish (the residue is kind of patchy though widespread, doesn't look too bad). I want to use oil this time around, so I need to get that residue off. But in the small amount of pressure washing that I already tried, it made for very difficult and intense removal. Obviously, damage to the siding is a concern.

The second is that this is a pretty tall house. On one side (we are on a slope), it is about 2.5 stories high. Because of the slope and uneven ground, scaffolding is a tough solution to implement. But I wonder if the pressure washer extension wands that are available will be long enough to reach so high.

Any feedback/comments/opinions on how I should approach this will be very much appreciated! Thanks.

Kommentare (5)

• klem1
    vor 8 Jahren

A "good" 3k or higher psi pressure washer will remove it. Home Depot ( and others I'm sure") carries a product that is sprayed,rolled or brushed on which removes previous coatings and whiskers from cedar when rinsed off with hose. You don't have many choices other than ladders and scaffold. Well I suppose there's always the pulley and rope under arms system but I don't advise it.

• adriennepratt
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Thanks a lot, Klem1, really appreciate it.

Let me confirm - do you mean either a good pressure washer, or the apply/hose rinse product?

And when you say ladders AND scaffold....? We are currently thinking about buying a 34-40ft ladder and putting up with all the difficulty of having to shift it around frequently. Rented scaffolding seems like even more complex.

• PRO
    Affordable Gutter Cleaning Service
    vor 8 Jahren

There is a new product called spray it and forget it. I have used it. It is awesome. You can get it at home depot.

• User
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

I would never pressure wash a house, personally. It's too easy to get water behind the siding. As for cedar, pressure washing could easily damage it. I'd find another way to wash it or repair it. That's my 2-cents worth.

• MongoCT
    vor 8 Jahren

I think you'd do more damage than good by using a pressure washer on cedar siding. Especially with a long wand, where the work is far away from your eyes. You can easily abrade away the softwood resulting in a very textured, nook and cranny surface.

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.