Houzz Logo Print
greenfish1234

Sheen for black front door and garage doors

greenfish1234
vor 8 Jahren
Wrapping up my new build. Garage doors on today. Yay! Any thought about the appropriate sheen for the front and garage doors? Although I would like real paint some day, the clapboard is hardieplank (so flat) and the trim is pvc (so, idk, satin or less?). Not sure if it makes a difference, but the garage gets full sun and I'm already voiding the warrantee by painting them black. I do tend to like a shine and have 3 busy dirty kids.

Kommentare (17)

• ritting28
    vor 8 Jahren
    A satin finish would reflect some light and probably be easier to clean.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    vor 8 Jahren

Semi Gloss would typically be used on the doors. Easy to clean the doors with a hose and water.

• katinparadise
    vor 8 Jahren

Would you consider leaving them the color that they are and using the black hardware to tie them in? The doors are a prominent feature and may dominate your facade if you paint them black. I would wait until they're in and upload a picture of the house into a color visualizer at Benjamin Moore's web site. Paint them on there first and see what you think. You can always paint them if you decide you like them but you can't unpaint them!

• greenfish1234
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Thanks, but I have looked at lots of inspiration photos. I invested in really nice doors because with this house,the garage doors are extremely prominent pretty much no matter what.
  • katinparadise
    vor 8 Jahren

Good to know. I wish you luck with your project!

• PRO
    Vandamm Interiors
    vor 8 Jahren

I applaud your strong taste in contrast and your attention to texture and sheen. Normally, I would suggest a high gloss, but with all the other sheens that you have going on, I might stick with a semi-gloss this time.

• greenfish1234
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
  • PRO
    Cure Design Group
    vor 8 Jahren

Looking good so far!! I would go with a semi gloss for the exterior doors, good luck!

• greenfish1234
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Thanks-I did and I'm so glad. They still need some touch-up-will post photos when done.
  • jessi6263
    vor 5 Jahren
    Can you please provide updated Pic?
  • greenfish1234
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

It is so hard to capture!!

I went with the semi gloss according to this (I forget) but I have to say I think next time I will try high gloss. Finger prints and shoe scuffs are tough to get off.

• kinni G
    vor 5 Jahren

Which paint brand , color, did you use?

• greenfish1234
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

It was Ultimate brand? "Mid gloss 1230 black" don't ask me why, actually I think I know – we used Benjamin Moore for everything in the house but I think we had to hire someone on our own to paint the doors due to the contract and I just told them to get black paint! Very unlike me! i'm pretty sure the front door was prefinished by pella and it has less of a sheen. It definitely shows finger prints that are hard to get off so at some point I would like to paint it a semi gloss as well.

• kerri1400
    vor 5 Jahren

Hello greenfish1234. I love the look of your doors and am thinking strongly about painting my new build garage doors black with black shutters. Do you find that the black paint shows more fingerprints and scuffs than a white paint? Also, have you had any issues with the paint fading? We live in the South and will have a lot of hot sun exposure during the summer. I love the look but would appreciate your input on the durability of black garage doors. Thank you !

• greenfish1234
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Hi Kerri! We are in the Boston area. The garage gets full sun and it has not faded. It also doesn't seem to have issues with fingerprints, dust, etc, but the front door does. I wish I'd gotten a kick plate because the kids definitely use their feet to help them open the door and there are always scuffs at the bottom. Also greasy looking fingerprints around the edge. I think I would go for a higher gloss next time to avoid that problem. Read up on shutters before you do them. They are almost never done right, and once you understand what right is you'll never be able to see shutters the same way again! Good luck!

• Mike Mondello
    vor 2 Jahren

Love the look. What brand doors did you go with? Are they vinyl wrapped steel? Wood? Just steel?

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.