Houzz Logo Print
bogdon0607

Exterior updates for our 60's home

bogdon0607
vor 8 Jahren
Hi Everyone. We would like to make some updates to the exterior of our home to modernize it a bit and are hoping to get some ideas for what to do.

Here are some things I've been contemplating:

1. Updating light fixtures
2. Removing address plaque and adding modern house numbers
3. Remove storm door and add new door that lets in light
4. New porch tiles or concrete (you can see existing tiles are falling apart)
5. Painting whole exterior brick and trim
6. New shutters
7. Trim and add/replace some plants

Any thoughts or ideas? Appreciate any advice!

Kommentare (4)

• ritting28
    vor 8 Jahren
    I love all of those ideas. Larger more contemporary wall sconces and a more modern door with larger glass would be great. The plaque is too traditional, so modern house numbers would really update the look.
    Looks like the porch needs to be torn out and rebuilt. I would do concrete, as it looks modern. You can always add tile later if you want. Update the railing to a simple modern style.
  • dddevenish79
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

If you're redoing the porch i would get rid of the railings. It will open the space up. Also unless you HAVE to pour new concrete, do tiles. It will be cheaper and it will be hard to get someone out for that small of a job (unless you're pouring it yourself) If you get new shutters, front door, house number updated lights and retile the porch, I don't think you have to paint the brick. I think all the stuff above along with something green in the window boxes (I envision green and purple potato vines hanging down with some colorful flowers sticking up; also paint the window box) and refreshed flower beds in front would make it look fantastic. You may also want to consider painting the window frames. A colorful front door (bright red or lime green) would be an unexpected surprise and add some interest with a pop of color to modernize the house

• ritting28
    vor 8 Jahren
    I agree that unless you truly hate the brick, don't paint it.
  • PRO
    Karen Johnston
    vor 8 Jahren

I agree with everything dddevenish79 suggested. Also, I would cut down the plants in front of the window to open that up and plant some scrubs that are a medium height under the window box.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.