Houzz Logo Print
worldmap7

Backsplash Tile

L W
vor 8 Jahren
My tile installer just finished installing the backsplash behind my stove. The grout is not in yet. There is a space between the tile and hood vent (see picture). He said he can't cut the tile to fill in because the space is too small and the tile will disintegrate. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way to handle/fill in this area.

Thank you!!

Kommentare (32)

• Barbara Almandarz
    vor 8 Jahren

The space doesn't look to be that noticeable, less noticeable once grouted. I'm assuming he can growth that area? If it is larger, consider putting some stainless trim along the length of the hood. (not my first choice)

• sandradclark
    vor 8 Jahren

What color grout will you be using? It looks lovely. I think if he adds grout above there it should be fine, but have him try a small section first to see if it works to your satisfaction. There is a narrow metal trim piece that can be used for that as Barbara noted.

• Geneviève
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

A good Tiler will certainly finish that for you with some caulking

• L W
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Where would I get the narrow metal trim? The installer suggested that I use a small piece of molding that matches the cabinets. Do you think the molding would look ok?
    I am so grateful to all of you. The prompt responses and the suggestions are extremely helpful.

Laura
    Laura
  • L W
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    FYI. I will be using the Mapei Avalanche grout color
  • PRO
    NFI Enterprises
    vor 8 Jahren

There are metal tile trims made by Schluter or Futura that your installer could try to fit into that space. I think using a trim piece would make it easier to clean and maintain.

http://www.schluter.com/2_1_rondec_3939.aspx

• Geneviève
    vor 8 Jahren

Isn't caulking a better option to finish where the tiles end and the stainless steel begins ? I think that its much more caulking is elastic and wont crack in time with the heat .

• PRO
    NFI Enterprises
    vor 8 Jahren

Caulking is a viable option, but will wear and need to be replaced later down the line.

• L W
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Genevieve if I use caulking instead of grout would I use a particular brand and or color?
  • sandradclark
    vor 8 Jahren

Buy one the same or near the same color as the grout. It should be a flexible caulking not one which dries solid. Check with the tile installer.

• L W
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    BIG THANKS to all of you!

Laura
  • Angel 18432
    vor 8 Jahren

lovely tile by the way - so nice to see something other than subway -

• Geneviève
    vor 8 Jahren

I assume that white will be used for the grout as well

• PRO
    Queen Bee of Honey Dos
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

If you choose to use caulking, you should at least use a flexible type. Otherwise the heat will cause it to expand and contract until you get a separation line between the tile and the vent, which will result in another space,and you will just have to repair it again later.

This will happen with the grout as well, but you can get that in a caulking tube and just touch it up in a few years as needed. The caulk (standard), on the other hand, will require pulling the old off before repairing. And based on the type of tile that you have, I would imagine it would cause some damage.

The metal trim that NFI Enterprises mentioned would eliminate the need to do touch ups.

It's really just a matter of preference though. I used grouting caulk between mine, and it has been 3 years. I am just now beginning to notice the faintest of hair line separation. (travertine subway tiles)

www.queenbeeofhoneydos.com

• L W
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Thanks Angel. This entire kitchen renovation has been very difficult.

Grout color is white.
  • PRO
    Laurie Brasnett
    vor 8 Jahren

Grout it. The installation is well done. Use one of the new one step, no sealing required grouts. The cleaning for them is amazing.

• L W
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Hi Queen Bee

Your info on the longevity of the caulking will be very helpful in making my decision
  • Geneviève
    vor 8 Jahren

I didn't mean to use caulking all the way ! Just at the top where tiles meets steel :)

• L W
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Hi Laurie

This is the first I'm hearing about the one step grout.

Thank you
    Laura
  • L W
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Genevieve

Yes I understood that it was just for that area
  • PRO
    Queen Bee of Honey Dos
    vor 8 Jahren

Worldmap7,

I think Laurie is referring to something like an epoxy grout. These are fabulous for preventing anything to penetrate. The downside is that they are way more expensive than a regular bag of grout.

I have done several backslashes using this from Lowes. All I can say is that it was fabulous! Nothing ever stained or penetrated my grout. They are also incredibly easy to clean. The oil and grease comes right off.

Given that you have some serious texture going on with your tiles, if you can afford something like this, you would be extremely happy that you did. One thing to note, because it has epoxy in it, it has a bit of a smell until it dries. Also, it requires a water vinegar mix to get this off skin and to clean away the excess grout. (Tile needs to be wiped down as you go, unlike traditional grout which allows a haze to be removed after drying).

Laticrete SpectraLOCK Pro Grout · Mehr Info

• L W
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Queen Bee I've been looking online and couldn't find the product Laurie mentioned. Thank you for letting me know.
  • PRO
    Laurie Brasnett
    vor 8 Jahren

Mapei is my go to brand. http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/Tile-&-Stone-Installation-Systems/Epoxy-Grouts/Kerapoxy-CQ

For those readers who would like black grout: this is it!

This is a one step process so it actually works out less cost because you are not sealing. To me that is a cost savings because the return trip is eliminated when hiring. For the DIY, go enjoy life!

• PRO
    GannonCo
    vor 8 Jahren

If he pulls a piece of tape using the lowest part as reference from one end to another you will then have a uniform gap across the entire edge. This makes it look as if the gap was left say a perfect 3/8 rather then rough cut at different gaps.

Most grouts have matching caulk some even in sanded vs non sanded look. Careful with dark colors on light color unsealed natural stone.

• L W
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Hi wannabath

What do you mean by pulling a piece of tape?

Thank you
  • lynartist
    vor 8 Jahren
    Laurie, are you referring to glass grout? It is quite expensive but impervious to just about anything and is so beautiful. Has a lovely shimmer to it and is super strong. Looks wonderful with certain flashier and glass tiles and is worth checking out.
  • lynartist
    vor 8 Jahren
    This gap looks to big to grout, your tile is made up of very small mosaic pieces. I would find a very plain tile that matches the color of yours that your tile setter can cut and have him piece them in that space. Once grouted it won't be visible but much more durable than just grout.
  • L W
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Lynartist

Do you mean that there are glass tapes that could be used to fill in the gap?
  • L W
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Lynartist. The gap is 1/8". My tile installer said it was too small to fill with tile.
  • lynartist
    vor 8 Jahren
    No, it is a newer type of grout. I was wondering if that was what Laurie was referring to when she was talking about the black grout.
  • lynartist
    vor 8 Jahren
    It looks bigger in the picture! I'm sure once it is grouted then it will most likely disappear. Beautiful backslash by the way! I think they did a very nice job, I'm sure it will be ok.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.