Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

Christmas Poll: LOVE or LOATHE? Trifle

Luke Buckle
vor 8 Jahren

So many parts of Christmas are polarising, from the gifts to the [carols[(https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/christmas-poll-love-or-loathe-carols-dsvw-vd~3546169?n=8) and the [tinsel[(https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/christmas-poll-love-or-loathe-tinsel-dsvw-vd~3537559). The shopping, the parties, the planning - and then there are the traditional desserts...

Maxwell & Williams Diamante Footed Trifle Bowl 20cm · Mehr Info

Trifle is the crown jewels of any Christmas food frenzy inspired by the motherland.

The layers of summer fruit, cream, custard and jelly are a joyful symbol of how we pack everything into our Christmases. The colours and flavours inevitably mash together, in what may be a wonderful mix or a trifle overwhelming, depending on your take.

One thing is known; trifles have inspired many Christmas afternoon slumbers.

Are you a fan? Let us know in the comments, and what in particular you love or loathe about this timeless dessert.

LOVE
LOATHE
Other (share reasons in the comments)

Kommentare (17)

• PRO
    anewhouse.com.au
    vor 8 Jahren

Just a bland mishmash when served up.

Give me a cheese cake topped with fresh fruit any time

Luke Buckle hat anewhouse.com.au gedankt
  • PRO
    LOVEDECORATELETTERS
    vor 8 Jahren

I made the Nigella Black Forest one a couple of years ago - looked amazing - but yes, I love the traditional sherry soaked version best! Bring it on - it's fabulous!

Luke Buckle hat LOVEDECORATELETTERS gedankt
  • mike pace
    vor 8 Jahren

Makes me feel bloated. But I will eat it anyway. Who can resist?

• angelasusanm
    vor 8 Jahren

I voted love it for the trifle bit I have a whole heap of caveats ...

all elements (sponge, jelly and custard etc) must be home-made;

there has to be good quality booze in it; and

it should (in Australia) feature ample fabulous summer fruits in season.

The last time I did a trifle for Christmas Day I made a sponge cake (with my own backyard eggs), the custard (ditto), a champagne jelly, cream from the local dairy and poached white peaches and fresh raspberries as the fruit. It was delicious – everyone ate too much and there was some sleeping it off in the late afternoon!

This year I'm making a raspberry mousse cake (bumper raspberry crop this year).

Have a lovely Christmas and enjoy whatever you prepare for the gathering (or yourself!).

• PRO
    LOVEDECORATELETTERS
    vor 8 Jahren

That sounds delectable @angelasusanm Can I come to your house??! :-)

• LouieT
    vor 8 Jahren

Yes please to trifle...YUM!

• Chel Maloney
    vor 8 Jahren
    Oh yes... We just bought sherry today for the sponge!! Roll on Christmas! (And my belly)
  • 7weed1
    vor 8 Jahren

Amen Chooky! Snap!

• Nicola Andrews
    vor 8 Jahren

Trifle made the day before so the flavours soak through. Delicious..and feeds a crowd!

• loish1966
    vor 8 Jahren

delicious if you use plenty of port & give it plenty of time for the flavours to blend & mature

• deewb
    vor 8 Jahren

We are non-drinkers in our house so we just use peaches and jelly with jam roll and topped with custard and cream. This photo shows Amaretti biscuits crushed on top with white chocolate and raspberries. Who cares if its a sloppy mess in the bowl, the flavour combinations are to die for!

• PRO
    LOVEDECORATELETTERS
    vor 8 Jahren

There's a great trifle recipe by David Herbert in the Australian Newspaper magazine this weekend - I'm definitely inspired to make one!

David Herbert Recipe

Luke Buckle hat LOVEDECORATELETTERS gedankt
  • Margaret
    vor 8 Jahren

Very simple - sponge sandwiched with raspberry jam and moistened with an orange juice/sherry mix, home-made egg custard and cream. Fruit only as a decoration on top. No jelly!! Delcious.

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

You have to have lots of fruit, then its a health food!! ;)

• dogmom5
    vor 8 Jahren

I love trifles & make a few different kinds. Best one is to soak angel food cake chunks in Kailua, add some chocolate pudding, whipped cream between layers with broken up toffee candy on top. No calories.

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

ROFL! Yeah, right!!

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.