Houzz Logo Print
thatlife

Backsplash grout color

thatlife
vor 8 Jahren

I am installing a tile backsplash on the back wall of my kitchen as part of a remodel. I need to select a grout color. What do you base this decision on? Should the grout color complement the countertop? The tile is

Elida Ceramica Crackled Linear Silk Glazed Porcelain Mosaic (picture attached). Countertop is Zodiac course pepper. Cabinets are woodmark honey maple.

The tile will end when the bank of cabinets ends. What do you do on the wall where the tile ends to make this look nice?

Kommentare (20)

• thatlife
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Is this the type of strip you were referring to? http://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Profiles/For-Walls/Decorative/Schluter%C2%AE-DESIGNLINE/p/DESIGNLINE.  Is there a specific type of grout?

• PRO
    User
    vor 8 Jahren

This is a link for a standard Schluter profile. They have several different finishes. You can browse their website for more choices.

http://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Profiles/For-Floors/Same-height-Transitions/Schluter%C2%AE-SCHIENE/p/SCHIENE

thatlife hat User gedankt
  • PRO
    User
    vor 8 Jahren

I would say to use standard un-sanded grout in the color of your choice for your project if you are doing it yourself. Seal the grout with a grout sealer after the installation has dried for 72 hrs.

• thatlife
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

I asked the contractor and he said he wasn't using Schluter, but something from Home Depot. Will it make a difference? Based on the information at the link below it sounds like we are looking for a transition strip like you would use when switching between tile and carpet on a floor?

http://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Profiles/For-Floors/Same-height-Transitions/Schluter%C2%AE-SCHIENE/p/SCHIENE

• acm
    vor 8 Jahren

it's not quite like the metal on the floor, in that it gets installed under the last row of tiles and then has a finished edge. or maybe that is like the edging on carpet! :)

(see edge against window)

thatlife hat acm gedankt
  • thatlife
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Do you know what brand of the edging was used in your kitchen..it looks nice !

• PRO
    User
    vor 8 Jahren

That look like a Schluter type profile in the above pic. Schluter is the company that originally came up with these tile transition ships. They have many, many different finishes, profiles etc. But most people still call these transition strips Schluter. They are by far the most popular company that makes these but there are other manufacturers that make similar products. And no it's not going to matter which manufacturer is used in your project.

However your contractor should show you which transition/finish he is using before setting of the tile so you can approve it.

• thatlife
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
  • PRO
    User
    vor 8 Jahren
    yes.
  • Barbara Almandarz
    vor 8 Jahren

Lovely backsplash choice! I'd find a grout color that is a bit more honey colored to blend the beige and honey color of your maple cabinets. As fir the edging, I'm not sure I'd put up a metal color. It will really stand out. Maybe your contractor can find an edging that is found in your backsplash. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a beige edging and a grout color that matches it? Good luck!

thatlife hat Barbara Almandarz gedankt
  • PRO
    Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
    vor 8 Jahren

as for the grout color - if you find something in the medium tones of your tile, it will be harmonious. If you select a shade in the darker or lighter tones, it will be higher contrast in areas, and the grout will be more pronounced. If you want to call more attention to the pattern, then go much darker - if you want more of a tone on tone effect - find something in the medium range.

thatlife hat Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA gedankt
  • thatlife
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Would this Schluter colored edging work, or does it need to be made of metal? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schluter-Jolly-Sand-Pebble-3-8-in-x-8-ft-2-1-2-in-PVC-L-Angle-Tile-Edging-Trim-SP100/100122327?MERCH=REC--PIPHorizontal1_rr--100117920--100122327--N

• thatlife
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

If I want the pattern and color of the tiles themselves (there are different finishes on different tiles, ie. some are crackle, some look stone like) to stand out would I use grout similar in color to the tiles, or darker?

• PRO
    Nutmeg Designs
    vor 8 Jahren
    Grout can unify or fragment your tile - sometimes it helps to make sample swatches - glue a few tiles on a scrap of backer-board, and grout to get the effect.
    thatlife hat Nutmeg Designs gedankt
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    vor 8 Jahren

Match the grout to the lightest tile in the group. The grout is not a decorative element it needs to be almost non-exsitent.

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    vor 8 Jahren

Select a light color that blends with the tile. You want to barely see the grout.

• jkinnd
    vor 7 Jahren

Do you have a finished product photo? We are looking to use this tile in our kitchen as well. Thanks.

• netspeak
    vor 7 Jahren

I am looking at using the same tile backsplash and would love to see how yours turned out. Can you post a few pictures of the final result?

• Ryan Hedlof
    vor 5 Jahren
    Hello all who have commented. We too are using this backsplash for our kitchen project. Did you seal it? The instructions say not to seal glazed ceramic but I’m not sure if this is glazed or not. I believe it’s a mixture of ceramic, porcelain, etc? It also sounds like sanded grout is recommended? Did you use sanded or unsanded? We are looking at the sanded fusion pro. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.