Houzz Logo Print
olivia_osicki

Need advice for awkward open-plan living/dining room

Olivia Osicki
vor 8 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 8 Jahren

Hi,

So I have just bought my first small two-bedroom flat. It is a new-build and has an open-plan living/kitchen/dining room which is lovely and light but is quite an awkward shape with only one TV point (bottom left corner of plan below), which I think will constrain where we can put the sofa. We like cooking and entertaining, but cannot figure out where to put a big dining table. Because the flooring in the kitchen area is different to the rest of the room, we can't put a table over the divide in the flooring like we could if the flooring was all the same. Any advice? The dimensions of the room are 4.4 x 5.1m.

I could also do with some advice for how to go about decorating such a modern new-build flat and adding some character. I tend to prefer traditional design and natural materials, and don't like the current fashionable mid-century/Scandinavian looks, but recognise that in a new flat modern design might work better. I'd love some tips and links - I don't own much furniture currently. Thanks!

Kommentare (5)

• PRO
    Custom Controls London
    vor 8 Jahren

You could put a dining table at the end of the kitchen worktop to form an island and then put a sofa on the wall of bedroom 2 (assuming this is big enough to house one), maybe even bring it in a little if the room is big enough. There looks to be space for a nice single chair between the door and window too - depends how many you would like to sit at once.

TV wise you could put one on an articulated arm so that the TV can be swung out when required - should look quite neat. You could even put a small cabinet underneath to house any other audio video equipment.

• Jonathan
    vor 8 Jahren
    Anchor the dining table into the space with a rug that will ignore the different flooring.
    Changing the flooring may not be too costly. Consider some of the Click together floors in the DIY stores.
    Moving the TV point is not impossible and should you have Sky or cable installed you won't need that TV point anyway.
  • minnie101
    vor 8 Jahren

Hi. I'd put a round table in the .triangular area by the balcony with a large plant in that corner to help disguise the shape. Go for an extendable table with 6 chairs but keep 2 in the (large!) cupboard for when needed. You can go for a wooden table with upholstered chairs which would still suit the room although if you went for a glass table it would make the room feel bigger. I'd have a small 3 or 2 seater sofa just above where it says "living/dining" pointing towards the window. Add a footstool in front with a tray on to be used as a coffee table and extra seating when needed. Place a lamp table next to the sofa arm in the recess where the oven is and put either a console table, low bookcase, wooden butchers trolley etc behind the back of the sofa. I hope that makes sense! I would either use a design tool to work it out properly whichever layout you use or graph paper or paper templates to size before you buy anything, I would stick to pale-mid tones and use darker or warmer colours for accents. Also consider a large mirror to increase feeling of space and light.

• PRO
    Sophie Louisa Interiors
    vor 7 Jahren

I would raise the curtain poles up and make more of the windows. I would suggest a round dining table, extendable as mentioned. I think as it is a new build you probably need to keep to modern with an eclectic twist. Changing the flooring doesn't need to be over expensive but would make the room feel bigger and would give you more flexibility. I would use warm neutrals on the walls and use colour in your soft furnishings, rug and accessories. A few fab pieces of art with colour would look great. As mentioned above you could easily change the point for the TV. Use good quality wood floating shelves and you can have a space at the back pre-cut on order for the wires to go down and hide wiring and access by a cable tidy in a neautral colour for the walls. This will take away furniture on the floor taking up space for the TV and digital box, Xbox etc. Making the room feel bigger and this TV was on special bracket so you can bring the TV out and re-position or tilt up and down.

Picture from past project including floating shelves and cable tidy. These shelves are in walnut with oak stripes on the front but there are many different woods you could choose from.

• PRO
    Wallsauce
    vor 7 Jahren

Hi Olivia,

Congratulations on your purchase! I agree with the comment above from Sophie about taking the curtain poles higher. This will not only make the most of natural light but will bring the level of the room slightly higher to make it look bigger.

Have you considered a glass top table too? This will complement the modern style of the flat and also make the table seem like it is taking up less space.

A wall mural could also help the steer the direction of the decor, to help you add traditional touches, as you aren't a fan of the Scandinavian trend.

There's hundreds of murals available at Wallsauce.com. They also come in a peel & stick material which can easily be removed and applied without paste to prevent leaving the same marks on your walls as wallpaper does.

Hope this helps,

If you'd like any more info, just get in touch :)

Paula from Wallsauce.

01772 284110 paula@wallsauce.com

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.