Houzz Logo Print
kathrynrae

Is the beveled side of the glass Bbasho Silk tile installed on top?

kathrynrae
vor 8 Jahren
We purchased the Bbasho Silk E Hex tile and the "Top Face" paper overlay is on the flat/non beveled side of the tile - which will create a glass to glass connection. Is this correct? Or, should the beveled glass side be the top face, which appears to allow for a more uniform grout line between tiles? How was the tile in this kitchen installed? The grout lines appear very even, I don't think the flat side w/glass to glass and wider gaps in other spaces is what is shown in the photo?
Venice - Open Kitchen · Mehr Info

Kommentare (9)

• PRO
    Ting & Company
    vor 8 Jahren

Hi - the tile was installed with paper side facing out per manufacturer instructions.

"Please note that Vihara glass tiles are “PAPER FACED” for the ease of installation and for overall appearance. Paper facing is
    used on Vihara glass because they are transparent or translucent, where mesh backing will not work. Please be certain to mount
    Vihara glass tiles with the paper facing out, to be removed after the mosaic has been seated into the thin-set. This is done by
    wetting the paper, lightly sponging, allow a few minutes for water to soak, and then peel off. Clean well before sealing."

Hope that helps!

• kathrynrae
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Hello,

It is the 'completely flat side' of the tile with the paper. This means there are areas where glass meets glass, no room for grout, where other areas have space. The tile on the other side are beveled, smoothed with some having a wave to the surface. The bevel would leave room for uniform grout lines - no glass to glass contact. We understand and have read the directions that the paper side should face out, but are concerned that the paper may be on the wrong side of the glass in the batch we received? And we are questing why a company would put time into beveling tiles and smoothing them if they are facing a wall? All photos we've found seem to have very uniform grout lines. Also it seems a flat side would have better contact with the wall thin set mortar. Appreciate your thoughts on this...

• PRO
    Ting & Company
    vor 8 Jahren

Hi - that definitely does not sound right. The tile I had had uniform room for grout and did not have any glass to glass contact. I'll check my files later for any pictures I took of the tile - I might have one from before we installed.

Do you have a salesperson you worked with? Otherwise I can get you in contact with someone at the company, just drop me a line.

• PRO
    Ting & Company
    vor 8 Jahren

OK - these are pics from the install. Hope they help. You can see the paper side out - and that there is no glass touching glass or else the grout wouldn't have been so even.

• kathrynrae
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

We purchased through a design firm in town. When the tile order arrived, the supplier's representative stopped at the store and showed them the paper faces up. It was when I picked up the tile that I noticed how strange it would be to have the flat side up. The supplier does not seem concerned. I will be contacting the design firm again on Monday. Photos are attached to help identify our concern. The last photo shows the back side, but has the uniform spacing, beveled edges and smoother finish. We believe the flat side up clearly shows the glass to glass contact between many of the tiles. (The knife point shows the tight contact.)

• PRO
    Ting & Company
    vor 8 Jahren

Unfortunately I don't have access to any of the tile so I can't say for sure but I don't remember that level of tight contact that is shown in your pictures. My contractor and his tile sub are also very detail oriented so it would have been called out. Good luck and let me know what happens.

• Cindy
    vor 7 Jahren
    How did it come out? I just received my tile in the mail and it's the same way. Beveled on the back side. I guess it's supposed to be that way?
  • kathrynrae
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Both sides are different surfaces. What ends up adhearing to the wall is tile with smooth surface and uniform spaced, beveled edges. What ends up showing is the uneven surface, any chips and gauges on the edges, and no bevel. It is a beautiful tile either way, but my expectations were higher for a uniform finished look, so I would not use this tile again.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.