Houzz Logo Print
lynette_mace

1930s fireplace

lynette_mace
vor 8 Jahren
We have purchased a project house and in the current dining room is a 1930s fireplace. The room will become part of a large kitchen diner. Everyone thinks the fireplace is lovely and we should keep up. I think it's ugly but we are keen to retain original features where we can. What would you do? Any suggestions for us?

Kommentare (11)

• Lauren
    vor 8 Jahren

I'm personally not keen either but I'm sure there will be many others that love it. Do you intend to live in this house for a long time or sell or rent it out in due course?

If you hate it and its something you'll be living with for a long time then remove and give to a reclamation yard or sell on ebay. If its a short term project then theres no harm leaving it in place, the next person to come along may adore it.

• lynette_mace
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    We intend to live in it but at least I'm not alone in not seeing the appeal of this fireplace :D X
  • maria galvano
    vor 8 Jahren
    its lovely please keep it so different. play it up with logs and beautiful pottery or iron work could be stunning feature
  • grantwoody
    vor 8 Jahren
    It's hideous, get rid!

We inherited a 1930s fireplace when we bought our place and are still trying to work out what to do with it, although painting the surround has helped.
  • PRO
    User
    vor 8 Jahren

Depends if you're massively into Deco style. Personally speaking it's literally one of my pet hates. If you're going to keep period features then the furnishings need to tie in too. If you're going for a more modern instead of traditional look then please, please, please get rid of x

• PRO
    Kebur Garden Materials
    vor 8 Jahren

If you decide to keep the fire place we would recommend getting some natural stone tiles to re do the flooring, this way it will give it a natural traditional look, our customers often pick slate for their fire places! The colours will contrast great with the brickwork.

• Becky Lifton-taylor
    vor 7 Jahren

Currently renovating a 1930's house but our fireplaces weren't as interesting as yours! I would keep it but paint the wood a much lighter, modern colour.

• PRO
    Burchdaume
    vor 7 Jahren

We'd vote for keeping it but stripping and re-oiling or liming the oak panels. So that they fit in with your scheme. Limed could really look quite good with the tiles. Use the same for your dining table, in the long run you'll be more glad you kept it - we think.

• PRO
    DesignWorks
    vor 7 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 7 Jahren

I'd say keep it and dress the fireplace and hearth with logs. If you feel it's too dark you could consider painting the wooden surround. Sadly IMO too many people rip out original features - not only removing the character /interest of the room, but de-valuing their home. Would love to see the room when completed , and to see what you decided in the end. Good luck and enjoy your project! Best wishes from Katharine, DesignWorks.

• Steve West
    vor 7 Jahren
    I'd say keep it. I was in a similar position with my 1930s fireplace and I decided to go with it and I bought an antique Deco French stove (which was actually quite cheap) and I set it on a bespoke hearth that I had made out of marble in a Deco shape. It turned a fairly dated fireplace into a real feature. If you need tips how to do it, let me know.
  • Fiona Davenport-White
    vor 7 Jahren
    Maybe paint the woodwork and a new hearth? You can also buy new fireplace tiles in a different colour which would change how it looked completely?
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.