Houzz Logo Print
nathan_gilson

Kitchen remodel: shoe molding to match cherry floor or white cabinets?

Nati G
vor 8 Jahren

We are remodeling our kitchen:

The kitchen was a separate room from the living room/dining room, with a different floor. So we knocked down a wall to make it a more open, contiguous space and the floor guy came today to match the rest of the house's cherry hardwood floor:

The living/dining area floor has a cherry stain on the the shoe molding, matching the floor.

The floor guy said he would come back tomorrow to install a shoe molding to match the floor.

Part of me thinks it would be nicer to match the shoe molding to our white cabinets. But another part of me worries that it will be awkward if the cherry shoe molding abruptly switches to a white molding.

What do y'all think?

Kommentare (26)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    vor 8 Jahren

The molding should mimic the rest of the house...

Nati G hat JudyG Designs gedankt
  • PRO
    Interior Designer - Home Stylist
    vor 8 Jahren

beautiful home! I'd match the existing moldings

Nati G hat Interior Designer - Home Stylist gedankt
  • Nati G
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

@Diehl
    The floor guy said it'd be best to do shoe molding because the cabinets have some visible shimmying (the floor wasn't level).

Maybe you can see it on the left side of this photo. Can't get closer because the stain is wet.

What do you think?

• PRO
    Cabinets by Design LLC
    vor 8 Jahren

I would do white and match the cabinets and trim. I think it will be less noticeable.

Nati G hat Cabinets by Design LLC gedankt
  • Nati G
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

@Cabinets by Design LLC

Would you be concerned it will look bad for the contiguous shoe molding to suddenly go from stain to white when it turns into the kitchen?

• PRO
    Give Me Shelter
    vor 8 Jahren

I would do white shoe on the front of the cabinets. I would also add a white baseboard to the side and back of the peninsula , to the walls and finish that with a shoe that matches the floor. The same as it is in the pic on the left side of the column.

Nati G hat Give Me Shelter gedankt
  • Nati G
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

@Give Me Shelter

Thank you! Do I understand correctly that you recommend the shoe on the cabinets be white, but the shoe on the peninsula and walls be stained?

In that case, should I not worry about the spots where white shoe meets stained shoe?

• PRO
    Give Me Shelter
    vor 8 Jahren

I overlooked that scenario. In that case it may be best to do it all to match the floor, so everything would look consistent. What I thought was a wall, I now see is a fridge panel. I would still look at the option of doing a base there and on the side/back of the peninsula. It may not work as well as I'm thinking, but I would explore it.

• Debra Parrish
    vor 8 Jahren
    Had this issue at my former residence. Ended up going with shoe moulding that went with the flooring, not the cabinets. Most cohesive look and it matched the rest of the shoe moulding in the house.
  • Nati G
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Thank you!

• gustaviatex
    vor 8 Jahren
    You can always test the installation by placing a small length in each finish in the area, but I think the molding should match the floor. Less potential for annoying scuff marks as well.
  • Vicki Zee
    vor 8 Jahren
    Beautiful kitchen!
  • lulu
    vor 8 Jahren
    After reading here, I had to go look in my kitchen. My shoe molding matches the cabinets, which are a creamy white, and that is the same all over my house. It looks cohesive. Where besides the post do you have shoe molding that matches the floor?
  • acm
    vor 8 Jahren

yeah, ideally I think shoe molding should be painted to blend into the trim, but if you already have floor-colored shoe everywhere else, then you're stuck with it here.

• User
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

Shoe is part of the molding. Not the floor. It always looks like a retrofit miss when someone has it match the floor. Paint the rest of the molding in the house.

• lulu
    vor 8 Jahren
    I tried to get a photo of the open living room, into the kitchen, so you could have a visual.
  • lulu
    vor 8 Jahren
    If you have shoe molding the same as the floor in other parts of your house, then it is a cheap and easy fix. Paint!
  • PRO
    Independent flooring installations
    vor 7 Jahren

I've been installing flooring 20 years and I agree with Sophie's comment. The shoe is supposed to match the base or cabinets. If the base is different than the cabinets the shoe should be also. Matching the flooring makes your base look shorter and the shoe is quite noticeable then.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    vor 7 Jahren

In our area, shoe molding that matches the floor is done pretty frequently. It ends up saving cost. Here is a photo where the cabinetry has off white matching shoe and the remainder of the room has stained shoe (which is the same as through the rest of the home). We see it done this way here much of the time.

First Floor Remodel · Mehr Info

• S GB
    vor 7 Jahren
    Do the white moulding. It's a cleaner look, matches your other moulding and you can always touch it up with paint.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    vor 7 Jahren

As you can see, this is a 50:50 split. You have people who will work the shoe molding in the colour of the floor and you have people who will match the trim. I'm going to guess it is a question of which is easier...if the original paint is still around then the shoe/quarter gets painted out. If none of that exists (or the flooring installer doesn't have access to the paint/gloss level because the trim is several years old) then the next EASIEST thing to do is add some floor stain (same stuff used to stain the floors) and be done with it. I'm going to bet dollars to doughnuts this is the difference...ease of access to paint/stain at the installers house/office/truck is how the decision is made.

• PRO
    Design Line Works, LLC
    vor 7 Jahren

The shoe molding should match your cabinets and baseboards, not the flooring! Good luck!

• Carol Hargrave
    vor 6 Jahren

Nati G--what did you end up doing? Do you have pics? I'm going through the same dilemma now.

• Nati G
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Carol Hargrave -- We matched the floor. Very happy.

Here is a glimpse:

• Carol Hargrave
    vor 6 Jahren

Thanks, Nati G! Your kitchen looks beautiful!

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.