Houzz Logo Print
stacy_perkins

Designers nightmare dreaded corner fireplace. Yuck. No idea what to

Stacy Perkins
vor 7 Jahren
Make it stop. I hate this fireplace. Corner fireplace. How to make it better? No idea!!! Help!! :(

Kommentare (15)

• Stacy Perkins
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    No, it is built in and the only fireplace in the home, unfortunately. I can't remove it, just somehow improve the look of it. If that is possible. Grr...
  • acm
    vor 7 Jahren

You might hate this less if you updated the feel -- fill in the ledge with drywall (or make a cupboard to hide TV components, if there's not a better TV spot in the room) and reface the tile with something fresher like stacked stone. Or a more traditional finish is possible too. Nothing "dated" about the placement itself.

Traditional Living Room · Mehr Info

Northwest Hills Remodel · Mehr Info

House 16 · Mehr Info

Farinelli Construction Inc · Mehr Info

177 white pine - new build · Mehr Info

• Ramona
    vor 7 Jahren

yes, drywall the huge hole and then proceed according to your personal style. you can go any direction at all once the hole is gone.

• PRO
    Adrian S. Cutchshaw Architectural Design+Build
    vor 7 Jahren

What you need is a sledge hammer. Just teasing...I would contact contractors in your area and get some estimates for the cost to remove it and to finish the empty space (could be expensive, looks like you will need to have the whole floor to be re-done to look right). In the meantime, maybe you could place a piece of furniture in front of it to cover it, like a love seat? Another option is to have custom cabinets made to go above the fire place to the ceiling and a mantle built to match the cabinets.

• Ramona
    vor 7 Jahren

do the thrifty decor chick thing, for sure!!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    vor 7 Jahren

I hate them so I just ignore them and decorate and arrange the space as if they don’t exist and surprisingly it works make your T.V the focal point and forget trying to make fireplace one. IMO some idiot decided these were a great idea

• mramsey
    vor 7 Jahren

I would go with Thrifty Chicks solution with a couple of tweaks: Choose a nice mirror or piece of art for above the fireplace, design your mantel piece or surround, Drywall the space above as suggested. But...make the mirror or art a secret door so you can access the space behind for storage (i.e. seasonal fireplace/mantel decor, family jewels etc) I had a cabinet maker disguise abut ugly electric panel behind a hidden hinged book case (all to code fyi) and it makes me happy every time I look at it.

• Steve EP
    vor 7 Jahren

Adding a collection of various height colorful ceramic vases might help. Hanging foliage in front with highest vases in the back? I'm assuming it's a electric fireplace.

• Steve EP
    vor 7 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 7 Jahren

Also I would paint the wall of the fireplace a warmer color to separate the space and actually make it a more beautiful focal point. A big Buda or Tibetan statue?

• Stacy Perkins
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    It isn't an electric fireplace or I would remove it all together. I love some of these ideas! You all are brilliant! Keep the ideas coming!!!
  • einportlandor
    vor 7 Jahren

I had the same fireplace (except mine was loaded with mismatched trim) in my last house and made it work. I pulled off the trim and retiled the entire thing with beautiful stone mosaic, hearth included. It wasn't terribly expensive because I didn't need much tile. Put a framed mirror in the alcove. The TV was on the other side of the room. Not ideal, but the tile turned it into a nice feature.

• suzyq53
    vor 7 Jahren

Yep drywall to ceiling. Cover with stacked stone. No mantel. Remove hearth.

• SNM M
    vor 7 Jahren

@einportlandor

could you please share a picture of the fireplace . I have the same fireplace and would like to have an idea of how tile would look on the entire wall.Thanks

• Catherine S
    vor 6 Jahren

I had the same problem but decided on putting a seasonal wreath on a standing wreath hanger and surrounding it with seasonal items, candles etc along with some fav photos or pieces of art or ceramic. I refused to put a tv on it.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.