Houzz Logo Print
steven_daw

Were any people with visual impairments considered during the design p

Steve Daw
vor 7 Jahren
The wood, although stunningly beautiful, merges together for me, as I have depth perception issues amongst many others I'll need to say. It becomes one single plane.
Have you discussed issues of this type before?
Wellington accessible home - kitchen · Mehr Info

Kommentare (3)

• PRO
    Lifemark
    vor 7 Jahren

Hi Steve. Thank you for your message, much appreciated. Lifemark are increasingly thinking about the use of colour and contrast within the home to ease movement and use of appliances, as well as increasing safety. We now have some guidance around colour contrasting in our new Design Standards Handbook and our accessibility consultant is looking into ways we can guide our partner designers to increasingly consider a variety of visual impairments. If you have any other comments around this issue we'd love to hear from you.

• Steve Daw
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I was a member of staff at a social services independent living centre in Oldham, England.

what we did to ensure there was a noticeable difference between the carpeted floors and the wall was a subtle change in the colour of the carpet when you were 15cm away form the walls. This was particularly helpful when you came across corners and turns.

Originally, the architects were opposed to the changes in colour, as they wanted all 4 floors to be identical. My best friend and manager of the facility let the architects know that since the purpose of the building was to promote independence, the identicalness of each floor would make it very difficult for people who have visual impairment to know exactly what floor they were on. He pushed for and got a different colour scheme for each of the four floors and each floor's carpet colour scheme was subtly designed to accommodate our needs.

It actually got so bad that the architectural firm would verbally agree to the adjustments Derek (the manager) had pushed for, and behind his back change it to the universal format they wanted! So, to ensure compliance, Derek relocated his office in the unfinished building to ensure compliance. Needless to say, the architects services weren't used again!

In conclusion, the differences made to offer a third degree of interpretation don't need to be 'loud and in your face', nor do they need to be against the theme of the rooms as a whole either, they just need to be there!

Thank you so much for your very polite response.

Steve Daw.

• PRO
    Lifemark
    vor 7 Jahren

Hi Steve. Thank you very much for taking the time to provide some further information. We'll certainly be thinking about colour contrasts on floors and carpets to aid navigation around the home. There are certainly lots of innovative and subtle ways to incorporate these elements into design and we're always very grateful for comments such as this.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.