Houzz Logo Print
haycart

Tv above gas fire?

haycart
vor 7 Jahren
We are thinking of building out the chimney and insetting a TV and sound bar. Further down the wall would be a contemporary gas fire. Fire would be surrounded by granite or marble as I know heat tends to crack plasterboard. Good idea or not?

Kommentare (19)

• haycart
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    Thanks for your comments
  • minnie101
    vor 7 Jahren

Hi. I would check the manufacturers instructions, I know Samsung have details of what temperature ranges the TVs can operate at so I guess others do. Ideally you need to check the heat output first using a thermometer or check with the fire supplier which you'd obviously need to do in your case! I think a mantel would deflect some of the heat, I'm sure I read recently that's there's some material you can stick under the mantel which will further deflect it (will have a look in case I'm making that up!). I would also test the viewing position by sticking a paper template on the wall as you need to ensure the viewing position is comfortable. I must admit my tv is hidden so not a huge fan of it being a focal point but often having effectively 2 black boxes ( I don't think your fire looks like a box but can't think of another way to describe it!) next to or adjacent to each other doesn't make the tv stand out so much

• PRO
    John Gauld Photography
    vor 7 Jahren

I was told not to place my flat screen above a flame effect gas fire. However, there was nowhere else in the room to put it! So before installing the TV I ran the fire at full throttle for some time and reckoned that the TV would be OK as it was still quite cool directly above and most of the heat radiated outwards. So that's where the TV is. Five years on, I might now be looking to replace the TV, but only because technology has moved on. So I guess it depends on your fire and whether you have any other options where to locate the TV.

• haycart
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    Thanks for your feedback. The paper template is a good idea. I will also look up the manufacturers guidelines. We have contacted a professional to come and view the options. It's quite a large TV which will dominate one side of the living room if it's not wall mounted.
  • minnie101
    vor 7 Jahren

How big is the tv and room? You could always have a bookcase wall and put the tv on a shelf and paint behind it in a dark colour. Or it tends to disappear if you place it on a dark piece of furniture so you could have a long, low unit, have the tv off centre and accessorise the other side. Or a dark painted wall with a gallery wall around it. Or even put it behind a sliding shelf. There are options for disguising it if you want to and the fireplace idea doesn't work

• PRO
    Grahams Hi-Fi Ltd
    vor 7 Jahren

It's never an ideal situation putting a TV above a fireplace but very often there is little choice as described above. Just be sensible with the height of it and the soundbar and keep in mind that heat is the biggest killer of electronics so your warranty may be invalidated if something does go wrong.

• Alis Mizon De Pinho
    vor 7 Jahren
    I think the TV completely removes the warmth and homeleyness (is this a word?!) of the fireplace.

Having said that... It's so difficult to find suitable place for a TV which is bigger than both of our heads put together. Naturally we tend to put them on a chimney breast as a focal point which works in some homes but personally, if I had a fireplace, I would keep that as my feature wall any day and find an alternative for the TV.

I've moved our TV all over the room as I really don't want it as a focal point in our room. Eventually our only option really was to have it on the chimney breast, slap bag in the centre of my line of vision.
  • Alis Mizon De Pinho
    vor 7 Jahren
    Also, is it even safe to have a TV above a fireplace. I'd be fearful of an explosion.
  • PRO
    Custom Electronic Design Ltd
    vor 7 Jahren

A fireplace is usually the focal point in a room, your furniture is usually arranged around it so its natural to want the tv in the same location as the fireplace. Its never a good idea to place a tv above a fire, the heat being one issue but the tv often ends up being to high for comfortable viewing and then theirs the audio/surround sound to consider, where will the electronics be housed and what cables to run. The best advice is find a professional Custom Installer to work with you. We have installed many tv's this way and with careful planning its possible to disguise the tv as a picture so the tv doesn't become the focal point in the room. We have working examples in our showroom of picture lifts and tv movers, you can also see these on our website.

• Vonn
    vor 7 Jahren

I think the fireplace is such a beautiful focal point. The tv still looks ok but want a stunning fireplace. Love to see what you decide, you certainly have great taste.

• Jayk
    vor 7 Jahren

The unfortunate truth is the TV and fireplace are both competing for the same space and any solution is a compromise.

Regardless of your desire for a fire it is bad anatomically to hang a TV too high. There is plenty of information online about the best viewing height and viewing distances for different sizes of TV. All this advice is ignored by many people - including professional interior designers.

Looking at the design of fireplace you supplied perhaps you could bring a TV into the room and place it on the raised hearth when you want to watch it? My bet is that is the arrangement you would normally live with and then you would remove the TV from your room when you have guests?

Or you could put a TV on a mobile stand that you can place in position when you want to watch it? You can get stands that would also take a SKY box or similar. The problem is trailing cables - and where the stand is positioned when not in front of the fire! You can even get devices that enable TVs to rise from the floor but they’re very expensive. Or you could project onto a screen that unfolds from the ceiling. Also very expensive.

In my case, I opted to forgoe the fireplace, knowing the TV played a more important part in my everyday life. The room was then designed accordingly. Am I happy with the result? Yes and no but as I said at the beginning any solution - other than a separate TV room - is a matter of compromise.

• Sharon Daly
    vor 7 Jahren

Some, I think, are assuming this is your TV and fireplace, whereas it's a showroom, and I assume this is what you are looking to do. Personally, I hate TVs over fireplaces - I think they look naff,. This photo shows a low fireplace so not too bad but generally theTV is at completely the wrong height when over a fireplace - far too high- and dominates the room. Don't do it!

• Robert Souza
    vor 7 Jahren

a big no no for me....

• Lorraine Wilson-Brown
    vor 7 Jahren

As a person who has a neck problem, TVs hung on the wall are not a good idea because you have to look up to watch them and that can cause long-term issues with neck pain. Personally I don't like them on the wall as they become the focal point, like many other people have said. Also there is the issue of sound carrying through an adjoining wall to the neighbours (if it's on an adjoining wall that is). Your fireplace is characterful as it is and it would be a shame to alter it.

• Robert Souza
    vor 7 Jahren

If a TV goes on a wall it needs to be at head height for viewing properly. People that have them high up will only cause them to have neck pains..

• PRO
    Art Decor Designs
    vor 7 Jahren

Hi, I would not put the t.v. above the fireplace unless it cannot go anywhere else. I think it totally destroys the look of a lovely fireplace/fire.

All your eyes get drawn to is the T.V. set.

I would put the t.v. somewhere else and really make the most of the central point of your room with a lovely fireplace.

Unfortunately t.v.s are not very nice designer objects to look at!

• haycart
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    Ok so we've decided not to put the TV on the wall above the fireplace. The fireplace isn't quite in the centre of the room, there is a wall 1m77cm from front window to chimney breast. Chimney breast is 1m44cm, wall from chimney to end wall is 2m99cm.

We are now thinking of putting a square dining table ( extendable fir 6) to the left of chimney then possibly building in a low level unit to the right so the TV can sit on top and then have floating shelves above to show off our ornaments.

We still want a clean, contemporary look so we are thinking of painting the unit and shelves a similar coulous to the wall. A lot of our ornaments are wooden so think wood shelving would be too much.

Do you think that would work?
  • PRO
    The Pleasure Home
    vor 6 Jahren

Revisiting Plan A + TV too high - solving TV neck ache

We have been installing TVs above fireplaces for the past 15 years. Our recommendation is that you should ideally leave a 100cm clearance from the top of the fireplace to the bottom of the TV. A protruding mantelpiece to deflect/minimise the effect of heat thermals would also help. As it is a contemporary fire, I am assuming there is less to be worried about than a traditional fireplace, as it more cosmetic a look than actually heating the room.

Please also click our link in green of the available practical cosmetic solutions for [Hiding a TV[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/hiding-a-tv-above-a-fireplace-or-just-mounted-on-a-wall-dsvw-vd~5055576?n=5) above the Fireplace.

TV too high - solving TV neck ache

This month, we will be importing a dynamic TV mount, that is specifically designed to easily lower TV's that are fitted above a fireplace for comfortable viewing. The target UK price for the slim mount unit will be £599 including the ability to swivel it left and right (see photos attached). There is also an option for attaching a Soundbar to the mount.

Please also click on the two video links below:

Comfortable TV viewing for TV's above fireplaces

Installer review of "down and out" mount over Fireplace

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.