Houzz Logo Print
maggs3705

Please help decorate my Dining Room by Thanksgiving!

maggie currier
vor 7 Jahren
So, it looks like I'm hosting Thanksgiving in my new FL house. problem is I don't live my dining room and complete redo is not in the budget. Table/chair s and large cabinet have to stay.
Questions:
I can't tear down the mirror right now- was thinking about framing it- but what color and where do I find those materials? is it an easy project? shutters and pillars are white but I don't think white framing will work. Thoughts?

Should I turn the table and put the cabinet against the mirrored wall? Remove the bar?

I'd love a funky tropical chandlier- yes?

Shutters, should they stay or go? I like the curtain rod, hate the curtains- were here when I bought- don't like the white tile window sill but may be able to fill it/ hide it. Any suggestions for window treatments?

Do I need a rug? I'd rather not, but realize it might be what I need to add interest, punch up personality, etc.

I have two weeks, please help!!

Kommentare (21)

• maggie currier
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    i forgot photos!
  • Jillian - Interior design student
    vor 7 Jahren

Pictures please.

• jdtm1
    vor 7 Jahren
    You have a lot to work with - easy first step - take down the valence on your beautiful window (are those California shutters? - lucky you, if they are). Then add some colour on the table - a "fall-themed) runner and candles or flowers or ...
  • jdtm1
    vor 7 Jahren
    Just noticed the pictures on the wall in your first photo - there's your colour scheme!
  • Jillian - Interior design student
    vor 7 Jahren

Remove the curtains, add a festive garland.

Use command hooks or something similar to add a set of 3 or 5 wreaths to the mirrored wall. Choose "base" wreaths that are plain and them embellish simply. This will make it easy to make the transition to Christmas.

Create a table scape.

• maggie currier
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    I'm ok with color scheme- more concerned with type of window treatments, coordinating mirror trim with white shutters/pillars and darker furniture. do I have too much stuff in the room- does it look crowded? window treatment other than shutters? aarrrgghh!
  • al00
    vor 7 Jahren

I think the fundamentals of the room are fine here. I just think you should nicely decorate the table with a beautiful tablecloth and candles. Check out www.lenpol.com they have really nice and superior quality tablecloths from pure linen. I suggest brown or deep yellow, gold

hues for this room.

• PRO
    Design Intervention
    vor 7 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 7 Jahren

Totally agree on taking down the valence. The shutters are beautiful and much more tropical and now! I think the architecture is a bit too traditional to go with a tropical chandelier.

• maggie currier
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    Thanks everyone, for settling me down! Great suggestions and of course I can just decorate for the holiday and figure the rest out later although I would like to change out the chandelier for something fun....love the comments, thanks so much!!
  • chloebud
    vor 7 Jahren

Beautiful shutters! Yes...remove the valences. You can get some type of long, narrow box/container to place down the center of the tables. Fill them with pumpkins, gourds, candles and/or other Fall decor. You could also substitute mini pumpkins for some of the balls in the glass hurricanes/vases in your tile window sill. Add a bowl or basket with the vases and fill it with green apples.

@jillian, I just ordered those 3 boxwood wreaths with red ribbon from Birch Lane.

Hmmm...not sure what happened to the second pic I posted.

• PRO
    ReStyle Home Staging, LLC
    vor 7 Jahren

Susan Davis gave you great advice. Take your time to decide what you want. Everytime I've rushed a project in my own home, I've ended up settling for something that later I did not really love and then had to spend more money later to get what I really love. You have some great ideas for a gorgeous Thanksgiving tablescape that will wow your guests. I also agree that the valance dates the room a bit and I would remove it.

I have added this chandelier in a client's home and it is gorgeous!

West Elm capiz chandelier

• calidesign
    vor 7 Jahren

Remove the valance and curtain rod. Remove the small items from the window ledge. With a beautifully decorated table, that is all you need. The square bar cart looks a little large in the room since it infringes on the window. I would remove it for Thanksgiving, unless you need to serve from it. You don't need a rug, and I wouldn't frame the mirror.

• chloebud
    vor 7 Jahren

I agree with calidesign...nothing in the window sill is perfectly fine. Something simple for holiday festivity is nice, too...even if it's just a bowl of apples.

• gtcircus
    vor 7 Jahren
    I might paint the chairs to lighten the space up
  • Judy Mishkin
    vor 7 Jahren

i never notice anyone's decorating when i'm eating stuffing.....

• maggie currier
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    hahaha, good point, @nnigrt- I make a pretty good stuffing-and my man's brined turkey is killer! dim the lights, pour the wine,all is well!!
  • chloebud
    vor 7 Jahren

Stuffing? Brined turkey? Dim lights and wine? maggs, can you set a place for me? :)

• Judy Mishkin
    vor 7 Jahren

i'm in too!

• Wendy
    vor 7 Jahren
    I always do a collection of various glass pumpkins and candles. Pier One always has a great collection. And don't forget to make Turkey Cookies !
  • maggie currier
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    I will likely do real pumpkins and candles in autumn colors. Thats the easy part! When at home in NH-, I just roam around outside and find all kinds of great stuff! it will be different here in Fl. I'm somewhat of a minimalist...not a big collector anymore of holidays themed items.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.