Houzz Logo Print
alix_larsen57

Fireplace build out location in living room

Alix Larsen
vor 7 Jahren

We are just starting to work on getting our house decorated after moving in. We have this big wall that we would like to build a fireplace surround with a mantel and a spot up above the fireplace for a TV. We really like more of a modern feel. We need help figuring out where the build out would best be placed. In the middle of the wall or on the right side of the wall. Here is a mockup I did in photoshop really fast as a reference.
Here are some ideas for a build out.

Arizona Remodel by Angelica Henry Design · Mehr Info

Virginia Waters - Octogan Developments · Mehr Info

We would love any suggestions for colors and materials. We love a more modern feel. We were originally thinking a dark navy color. I love the mixture that this living room has of silver, white, and wood.

Thanks for your help!

Kommentare (11)

• Alix Larsen
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren

Do you have any suggestions on this one Lindsey?

• PRO
    Rookery Design
    vor 7 Jahren

I would go for the off-center (right) option. I think with the modern fireplace, it makes it look even more interesting, especially with your ceiling the way it is. And I know it's just a mock up, but you would probably not want the fireplace opening to be quite so wide and leave a little more space on each side of the build out.

Alix Larsen hat Rookery Design gedankt
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    vor 7 Jahren

You know, I looked at this for a long time trying to decide if I could make an intelligent comment on it. In the end, I decided that it would be better to bump it and hope for the best. If you want, I can make a ridiculous comment--I'm sure lots of people will jump in to contradict me ;)

On the two views you created, the one with the fireplace in the middle looks like there is a beam that you would be working around. Is that true?

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    vor 7 Jahren

I like it off center, but with the open doorway on the left it makes me see a face.

What if you painted the whole wall the darker color, and set the fp in the right corner? Similar to the last inspiration pic you posted.

• calidesign
    vor 7 Jahren

I would start the wall on the left like you have in the first photo, and keep the TV and fireplace placement, but bring the dark wall all the way to the right corner. That gives you more options for seating arrangements, so you can place a sofa or chairs with backs to the window.

• Alix Larsen
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren

Rookery Design, so you wouldn't put it flush up against the other wall? You would leave space on the right side of the build out correct?

• Alix Larsen
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren

Thanks Lindsey! No, there isn't a beam, it is just the way the ceiling is. It is vaulted.

• Alix Larsen
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren

Cali Design, so you are saying keep the tv and fireplace where it is, but just make the whole wall navy?

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    vor 7 Jahren

Seeing that it's a cutout helps a lot. Start it on the right of the cutout, like your second pic, or do the whole wall including the cutout.

• calidesign
    vor 7 Jahren

After seeing the cutout, I would drywall over that space -either the entire thing, or from the center roof line to the right. That way you have the whole wall from the roofline to work with. Yes, I would make the whole wall dark from the top of the vault to the right corner, and center the fireplace/TV in that space. The problem with putting the fireplace in the far corner is that you would be unable to use furniture on that end of the room, which looks to me like a better arrangement.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.