Houzz Logo Print
tashie81_03

Curtains on a track or roman blinds on bay window?

N Foz
vor 7 Jahren
Hubby/wife furnishing dilemma!

Personally I would hang roman blinds on our main bedroom bay windows but my other half is adamant we should have black out curtains on a track set inset. I'd like to know what others think please!

Kommentare (20)

• Jonathan
    vor 7 Jahren
    With most windows roman blinds are fitted above and when folded up only cover a little of the glass.
    Here you have no room above so the roman blinds will likely obscure about 25% of the light. And if you have fan light windows then it may be difficult to open them.
    I would prefer curtains.
    You could also consider ceiling mounted roller blinds.
  • PRO
    Hillarys
    vor 7 Jahren

Hi,

For a really luxurious effect, you could actually have both! Think about how you use the space - you seem to use the window sill for storage, so Roman blinds might be difficult as they sit just about the sill. If you had curtains on a track, you could opt for floor length so you wouldn't lose this space. Either suggestion will make a feature of your window.

The previous suggestion about light is a very valid one, but bear in mind you'll have a little of that if you choose curtains on a track too, as they'll bunch on the inside of the bay.

Best of luck!

Zoe

• N Foz
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    Thank you guys. Actually the window sill is definitely not for storage! We only moved in recently so are still tidying up. This will be kept clear so the blinds would sit on the sill and be affixed to ceiling of the bay.

I think curtains will make the room seem smaller as we have a kingsize bed and floor to ceiling wardrobes that spread across the whole wall opposite the bed.

However, I could be completely wrong. My husband is adamant on curtains and he thinks roman blinds will be a pain to pull up individually across each blind every morning.
  • S L
    vor 7 Jahren

If it was a kitchen or living room I would say blinds but as it's a bedroom I would go for blackout curtains every time

• PRO
    Hillarys
    vor 7 Jahren

I suppose it really is a matter of personal choice. Roman blinds are often considered a more modern, neater alternative to curtains but lots of people love the luxurious, sumptuous look that comes with curtains. Both offer the option of a blackout lining which is great for sleep-friendly spaces!

Do you think you'd find it a pain to raise and lower Roman blinds every day? If you did go for Romans, my advice would be to choose the type with a chain rather than a cord and cleat. Then it shouldn't be very onerous at all. In fact, you might think of it as quite a nice ritual to help you greet the day.

Enjoy your new home,

Zoe

• Lee
    vor 7 Jahren

I was going to throw shutters into the mix too. I had voiles and curtain on a track in my living room and had shutters installed - they're the investment i love most. it was a complete surprise as to how much bigger the room looked without the lightweight curtains. Do a decent job of blocking light, altho i have them cafe style so there's still plenty of light coming in above.

• PRO
    Diamond Shutters
    vor 7 Jahren

Hi there

Plantation shutters will let in more light i have attached some 5 sided bays we have fitted in the past for you to take a look at.

Good luck.

www.diamondwindowshutters.co.uk

• PRO
    Room by Room (Midlands) Ltd
    vor 7 Jahren

Unfortunately it is a matter of personal preference with pro's and con's for both.

I hope the following helps a little;

1) If you have curtains, inside or outside the bay, unless you can pull them completely back out of the bay you will loose some light.

2) Curtains are better for blocking out light and keeping in the warmth.

3) If having curtains in the bay it is important to invest in the right track or pole.

4) With roman blinds you will loose some light because of how they sit in the window but they do give the cross over between contemporary and luxury. Black out lining can be used. (in the pictures below the blinds are not sat at their highest as they can look a little strange pulled right up)

5) Closing and opening 5 blinds can get a little tedious. After 6 years I only open all 5 blinds in our room of a weekend!

Personally I opted for roman blinds in 3 out of 4 of our bay windows, the 2 bedrooms and the lounge, opting for curtains in the back of the house due to the door and for warmth.

• gchan
    vor 7 Jahren
    I am having exactly the same debate with my other half at the moment! No idea what to suggest but thanks for posting and hope you don't mind me jumping in and following your thread
  • N Foz
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    No problem at all! Feel free to tag on and grab some inspiration!
  • PRO
    User
    vor 7 Jahren

That many blinds would be a pain to open and close on a daily basis. You'd likely end up leaving some of them closed permanently which would cut the light enormously. Consider curtains that hang from the flat wall above the archway, in front of the whole bay window. When open they could hang on either side of the opening, meaning no loss of light. It would definitely make the room smaller when closed but would be a lovely 'wall of fabric', closing off any clutter on your dressing table.

• PRO
    The Blind Shop
    vor 7 Jahren

Hi, have you considered wood venetian blinds? They are a popular choice amongst many of our customers who have had similar curved bay windows to yours. Wood venetians give you lots of flexibility in controlling the light and privacy.

• PRO
    User
    vor 7 Jahren
    Hi

We recently came across a beautiful product that could keep both of you happy.

It combines a roller blind at the back and a curtain on the front all in one system, making it easy to fix and looks great.

The roller blind can be specified in a block out fabric whilst the curtain can be sheer or the other way around.

This system can also be motorised solving any logistics of rolling them down.

Best of luck!
  • Colin Burns
    vor 7 Jahren
    Shutters on a bay window...definitely
  • PRO
    Bloc Blinds
    vor 7 Jahren

Hi N Foz,

I have just the solution to keep you both happy!

Blinds work perfectly in bay windows, follow Bloc Blinds' guide to Dressing a Bay Window and get some tips for decorating your bedroom window. Bloc Blinds' award winning blinds come in a wide variety of styles and options. Choose from translucent, transparent or black out fabrics.

Here are some of our ideas below;

Good luck!

Sile

• Sarah Barrett
    vor 6 Jahren

bloc blinds are a perfect solution I think.

• freddy_the_flea
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi N Foz, what did you go for in the end? Similar debate happening right now regarding a very similar bedroom. I'd love to see a picture of the end result! Thanks

• N Foz
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    We went for curtains on a track for both the bedroom bay and the downstairs front bay. The total opposite of what I originally wanted(!) I guess ease came down to it and curtains worked out less expensive than romans as we had them locally done and professionally due to all the measuring that needed doing.
  • Houzz-Nutzer 626603193
    letztes Jahr

We have venetian Bay window

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.