Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

This or that: flat roof or pitched?

Luke Buckle
vor 7 Jahren

The modernist in me wants a flat roof, but then a pitched roof evokes all kinds of other feelings.

Which way would you go? Plain or pointy? Smooth or sloped?

Explain why in the comments..

Eingangsbereich · Mehr Info

or

Hillsborough 2 · Mehr Info

Kommentare (27)

• Country House Gal
    vor 7 Jahren

I feel the flat roof looks like some sort of commercial building or garage. Definitely like the pitched one in the pic you have posted gives real interest to the building, not to mention being a practical cover for the entrance.

• PRO
    anewhouse.com.au
    vor 7 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 7 Jahren

Avoid a flat roof unless you like the sound of dripping water and damp patches,

For more see: Want a Flat Roof

• gardentime
    vor 7 Jahren
    Pitched looks way more styled and grand. Flat roof looks like a demountable building from school. Flat roofs will alway leak (eventually)
  • gardentime
    vor 7 Jahren
    I agree with country house gal....flat looks like a storage shed
  • PRO
    Alliance Robes
    vor 7 Jahren

I agree the pitched roof adds character and grandeur

• Neryl Hollingsworth
    vor 7 Jahren

Flat roof for me. I think the minimalism probably saves on money and as long as it doesnt leak,. i would laos like a rooftop garden!

• Frank Hoebert
    vor 7 Jahren

I think flat roofs can look like a cheap project build .. unless it is strictly a minimalist building. If I was starting from scratch I would design a roof that provided ideal slope and direction for solar panels. (Solar panel mounting frames on flat roofs can really look terrible)

• jaydub0
    vor 7 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 7 Jahren

I love my flat roof.

• ditryer
    vor 7 Jahren

We have had nothing but trouble from our flat roof - even though we are above and beyond code for waterproofing.

• PRO
    John Wheatley
    vor 7 Jahren

I really wanted a flat roof but with the amount of rain in gippsland it was advisable to go angled

• suancol
    vor 7 Jahren

You need a correct angle for both rain run off and solar panel efficiency

• pascoeyvonne
    vor 7 Jahren

I like the flat roof, however you would need to ensure the correct waterproofing is applied and regular checks made over the years, as it could leak if not done properly.

• Dustyn McNichol
    vor 7 Jahren
    pitched is more inviting.
  • Derk vdBent
    vor 7 Jahren
    What about functionality? A flat roof can be practical. With tiny blocks they can provide extra space as a yoga or bbq deck. If you can capture views you will also add significant value and pleasure to your home. Good design will avoid water issues.
  • Derk vdBent
    vor 7 Jahren
    Rooftop with friends
  • Mary Tam
    vor 7 Jahren

Flat roof is nice because we can hv one more space for landscape design garden, swimming pool, barbecue area with outdoor living & dinner as well as we can enjoy better view on higher position.

• sharyn notapplicable
    vor 7 Jahren

I love my very modern flat roof place. However, if I was building I would incorporate some pitch to allow future development of solar tiles to be incorporated - if my entire roof could provide the mechanism to provide solar power without having large panels I would definitely go for that.

• romneybishop
    vor 7 Jahren

To satisfy your modernist tendencies and "other feelings" try a multi-plane roof. Here are pics from Houzz: https://www.houzz.com.au/architectural-roofing . Otherwise there are roofs being designed so there are no gutters - they overlap on several different angles to capture water into central points an look stunning (sorry I can't immediately lay my hands on the web address). They are metal of some sort. What's your budget - copper is the ultimate.

• Gallifrey
    vor 7 Jahren

We went for a Ritek roof system which allowed us to have a really low pitch, low profile roof and large spans. Photo below. Think it looks like an aircraft carrier deck!

• Al McA
    vor 7 Jahren
    Live next to a heritage listed modernist house, looks sexy, has cost its owner mega dollars in attempts to stop the leaks. While I love the look of the flat roof, unless you live in a desert I'd steer clear.
  • mellyshea
    vor 7 Jahren

Maybe think about how it will feel on the inside? Would you like the feel of a cathedral or raking ceiling inside? Or would you prefer a flat ceiling. A pitched or flat roof can have a flat ceiling, but only a pitched roof can have the cathedral/raking ceiling. Even though it is lovely to admire it from the outside, a lot of the living happens on the inside or so close to the house that you aren't looking at the roof.

• heatherceravolo
    vor 7 Jahren

Flat roof with a box gutter down the middle is what we have on the house we have bought to move into after renovating - starting from the top down. i.e. A new roof. Present one a nightmare. Leaves from leafy garden - a major reason why we bought the place - pile up in box gutter, which overflows if not constantly cleaned out and anywhere the roof has been breached - e.g. Cable tv antennae and roof mounted airconditioner - somehow water trickles thro - no matter how much silicone gets poured into the crevices - or yet more flashing is replaced. We thought the place was tech-smart with everything controlled by remotes, but soon discovered the reason the 1980s house, built b4 internet, wifi, roller shutters, etc, is that it is impossible to hard wire thro the non-existant roof cavity ! Flat roofs tend to sit just cms above the ceiling.

But none of that has permanently put us off the gorgeous minimalistic feel to the place - particularly as we have bought it, knowing it needed to be upgraded. . Aha, we thought. A nice big flat terraced roof with a fabulous view out over the treetops that we can use for a roof garden, entertainment area, etc - with easy access to the necessary box gutter to keep it free of debris, will be just the way to go !

Until our plans got to council - oh no, they said, roof terraces cause overlooking issues into neighbours' private spaces, and also they fear we might have a tribe of teenagers up there making a noise, or kicking a ball, disturbing the local amenity !

We were not that easily deterred. But it is not so easy, i have to warn those who have waxed lyrical about swimming pools and outdoor living with a view, etc, etc up on their roof ... we have had to compromise with 1800 high screening along one side, which fortunately we can camouflage amidst high overhanging trees, and pulling in terraced areas about a metre from the edge of the building - lessening the expanse of useable area considerably ... but we can still make it work, including solar panels on another part of the roof not in our terrace plans - they can easily be installed with angled brackets ( ie a flat or pitched roof is not really an issue when it comes to solar panels) - but turning a flat roof into a wonderful addition to the garden is turning out to be not quite what we originally envisaged And adding any extra weight on the roof, especially if it is going to be used as a living area, also invokes extra building regulations - like the earthquake code i.e think expensive engineers and extra strengthening of whatever is holding the roof up !

• girlguides
    vor 7 Jahren
    Thanks @anewhouse for the flat roof link
  • Derk vdBent
    vor 7 Jahren
    I would like this look with a flat roof for a motel and restaurant. Any sketch artists game to give it a try? You could win the contract. ☺
  • Derk vdBent
    vor 7 Jahren
    Two stage build one floor at a time. Yoga deck on roof.
  • mervyn2316
    vor 7 Jahren

From a risk perspective then a pitched roof is definitely the way to go. As previously stated you can have a near flat roof that pitches inwards or to a valley with a box gutter. However note that these are high risk because if the box gutter clogs up with leaves or the overflow doesn't work, then there is a high chance water will overflow back into the ceiling space... That being said I like the look of a flat roof but be aware of the risks and seek professional advice. Always go with the roofing products manufactures recommended pitch otherwise any issues you have will not be warranted.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.