Houzz Logo Print
buzzmummy

Is this bush alive or dead?!! Help!!

buzzmummy
vor 7 Jahren

Hello all, we are starting to get to grips with our garden and just been looking round the many varied shrubs we seem to have inherited in our new garden and come across this one. Not sure what it is but it has these pretty clusters of white flowers and from a distance looks quite nice! However every leaf has been vastly eaten by something! I can't see any sign of caterpillars or whatever but when you move the leaves sort of powdery stuff comes off. Any ideas if this is something I can sort out or am I best to chop the whole thing down?! Appreciate some help as I'm only a novice...;)

Kommentare (8)

• PRO
    Fusion interior design
    vor 7 Jahren

Viburnum I think. Lovely shrub and should have a nice fragrance. looks like a beetle attack, some research should show you how to get rid of them. Definitely alive and well worth keeping as evergreen and good for bees and birds :)

All the best,

Jason

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/plant-finder/viburnum-tinus/

buzzmummy hat Fusion interior design gedankt
  • Sonia
    vor 7 Jahren
    Looks like a Viburnum tinus to me, a lovely evergreen shrub that flowers winter/spring. Will grow to about 8-10 feet but can be pruned to keep it smaller. Sorry no idea what the problem is, but may be worth having a look on Gardeners World or RHS website, but I'm sure someone on here will have an answer soon!
    buzzmummy hat Sonia gedankt
  • buzzmummy
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren

Hi thanks very much for your help. I've looked it up and it seems likely to be caused by Viburnum beetle which was apparently the no 1 pest in UK gardens last year!! I think my bush has had several years damage by the look of it.

Gardeners world says: Holes in the leaves of viburnums caused by the larvae and adults of viburnum beetle. Plants can be completely stripped of foliage and can emit a foul smell, which is thought to be caused by the excrement of the larvae. Spray the adults and larvae with an insecticide containing pyrethrum.

I am wondering if cutting the bush right back will help as one site suggests this is the most effective way to deal with it as it will get rid of larvae and beetles on the leaves. Will it damage my bush even more if I cut back now or should I wait for the autumn?

• Sonia
    vor 7 Jahren
    Well I never knew that! Interesting. I'm dead against pesticides as they not only kill the "bad" bugs but can kill the good too such as our lovely bees and ladybirds. Virburnums are rather a slow growing plant so if you cut it back it will take many years to regrow, but may be worth a try? If it was in my garden, that would be my choice, but of course it will be your decision. If that doesn't get rid of them then sometimes the only option to to get rid of the plant. Plants can become sick or infested sometimes and decisions have to be made. It's also an excuse to buy new plants which I love doing! I hope it all works out for you.
  • Sonia
    vor 7 Jahren
    Forgot to say, now is a good time to prune as new shoots need good weather and warmth for regrowth. Good luck!
    buzzmummy hat Sonia gedankt
  • buzzmummy
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren

Thanks forza, think I'll give it a good prune back and see what happens. Won't be "finishing" this border till next summer anyway because we need to level and reseed the grass in the whole garden this autumn so if I cut it back now it will have a while to regrow! ;/

Thanks for your help. X

• Jo Jeffery
    vor 7 Jahren
    I have one of these in my front garden. Looks OK health wise. Just a bit nibbled!
    Bug clear may well take care of any little pests. I would also clear aware any competing weeds and give it a general feed and top dressing. I've had to work through my garden in a similar vein.
    buzzmummy hat Jo Jeffery gedankt
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.