Houzz Logo Print
fourgables

Help! Remodelling a fireplace and desperately need some advice

fourgables
vor 7 Jahren
Hello design brains!

We've been given the lovely problem of having to very quickly renovate a 1920s property and I seem to have exhausted my creative energy already. We've just taken out a very sad 1970s gas fire and surround and I am at a complete design Brick wall! Can't think what to do with the space. The pre-requisites are a log burner and a space for the basket or wood and room for our TV on the left but other than that we're open to any/all ideas and have a reasonable budget! Brick, stone, tile etc - just can't get a design in my head!!

Any inspiration and advice very very welcome! X

Kommentare (15)

• duffyp2
    vor 7 Jahren
    The rais q-tee insert stove would probably fit into that chimney breast.
  • PRO
    ABA Architects
    vor 7 Jahren

Replace badly damaged bricks. Insert simple book shelves in 2 side alcoves and paint everything white (or off white).

• PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    vor 7 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 7 Jahren

hi, Fourgables

Its a Brilliant chance to built a Bespoke Cupboards and shelves, both sides of the chimney breast, the hole could have matching panel inline with the cupboards, so it could be continued ,covering the chimney surface, with or with out doors, in side the hole you could have shelves for the TV appliances, and above, your TV mounted on the surface of the chimney breast, You will also have to hire an electrician , to install trunking within the chimney for cables behind the TV for, socket , HDMI cables , TV ariael/sky ,cat 6 for internet, camera wiring, etc, in the cupboard below will need a power point for the appliances,

I would consider, having sockets on the shelves for a lamp or something,

• PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    vor 7 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 7 Jahren

i also would consider air conditioningunits instead of any heating/cooling systems , but its not every bodies taste, or a free standing small fire pit / fireplace located in a corner

• tamp75
    vor 7 Jahren
    What style are you aiming for in general for the house? That might help you to decide on how to finish the fireplace. Personally, I don't like brick so I'd have it all plastered, have a slate hearth with oak type beam above & shelving / cupboards built into the alcoves. But if you like the brick, you might want to look at repairing what's there. Have you tried searching for woodburner photos to give you some idea of possibilities?
  • PRO
    User
    vor 7 Jahren

Are you trying to put the T.V in one of the little alcoves?? I think they're a little small and you will spoil the look of the fireplace. I'm a great fan of keeping them very separate.

By all means put the T.V to the left, but on a stand alone unit which has nothing to do with the Fireplace, maybe a nice wooden corner unit from the same type of wood as the mantel shelf

I think that most of the brickwork is beyond repair, so i'd plaster and paint, then have the wooden shelves.

• magdalena_herbert
    vor 7 Jahren
    I hope you can see what we are trying to do. In few days it's going to be complete :)
  • Jonathan
    vor 7 Jahren
    I think what is blocking your ideas is the issue that any shelves built into these alcoves will be sat in the middle of a wall and usually this type of alcove would extend to the corner. Because of this issue I think that you should either:-
    Block up the alcoves and so you only have to find a fireplace that you like.
    Cover the alcoves with doors that looks like the wall and have invisible touch catches.
    Build in the alcoves but run skirting and coving in front of the space so that you can read the main room.
    Knock out the chimney brickwork so that your log burner is sat in the middle of a wider space.
    Treat the whole of the recessed space as one and run a hearth across all of it and give the walls in the recesses and across the chimney the same treatment for uniformity.
  • AM
    vor 7 Jahren
    fill in the alcoves and have a nice fireplace with a stone surround.
  • PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    vor 7 Jahren

Brick slips , very rustic on top of the existing one just like the picture above

• Ann Akers
    vor 7 Jahren
    From this!
  • Ann Akers
    vor 7 Jahren
    To this!
  • PRO
    Acres Farm Club Fenders
    vor 7 Jahren
    Don't put a tv above it. Too high for comfortable viewing. Our club fenders provide perfect extra seating. See our site..? Good luck
  • PRO
    inspirational fires & fireplaces
    vor 7 Jahren
    Hiya you have a nice space you are working with there, I can see your sockets are on the far left so I assume that will be the tv position, a log burner would look great in that opening, the alcoves I would either use shelves or maybe use cupboards to create some storage space or create log stores either side, pictures for your inspiration
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.