Houzz Logo Print
loudoolm

Fire place advice

Doo LM
vor 7 Jahren
Hello, I picked up a beautiful cast iron Victorian fireplace cheaply, planning to put it in our small lounge in our 1919 house. However I'm having a little wobble as it's the sort normally found in a bedroom. Do you think it would look acceptable in the lounge? My thinking was it's small and wouldn't dominate the room.

Would love to hear your thoughts...

Kommentare (17)

• headers13
    vor 7 Jahren

Pictures would be good of the room & the fireplace. I think it depends on how big the room & the wall it is going on is to whether it will look a bit lost. Can you lay it against the wall for a while & then come to a decision.

• Doo LM
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    Thank you Headers, the first photo is what we had (an old back boiler had been removed). Hubby offered the Victorian fireplace up to it, then got carried away stripping away all the bits we didn’t like!
  • headers13
    vor 7 Jahren

men & their tools eh ! It looks sweet actually - I think it could look quite cosy.

• headers13
    vor 7 Jahren

By the way I bought a great hearth stone from e-bay couple of years ago they cut to size. Can't remember the seller (it was a store not a one off) but worth a search if you need a hearth stone.

• Maite Lanzagorta
    vor 7 Jahren

Hi Louise, I don’t think the size is a problem! I don’t know if you already got some inspiration out of the web, but the size looks similar to this ones: [https://www.houzz.com/photos/victorian-fireplace-phbr0lbl-bl~l_48517[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/victorian-fireplace-phbr0lbl-bl~l_48517). Lovely Victorian fireplace by the way!

• Doo LM
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    Thank you both for your comments. Do you think a smaller hearth and mirror would help with the scale maybe? I'll check out the hearths on ebay and have a look at the photos, thank you. I've bought some nitromors to tackle the white paint!
  • Jonathan
    vor 7 Jahren
    Lovely fireplace but in my opinion it's not big enough for the room especially given it is a grand room with high(by modern standards) ceilings and period features.
  • headers13
    vor 7 Jahren

Definitely if you keep go with it a smaller mirror. A heat gun works better than paint stripper (having been there with a painted fireplace).

• Doo LM
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    That's my concern Jonathan, although it already feels more open in here without the old surround. The room is only about 3m wide from the fireplace to the opposite wall which the sofa is against
  • Doo LM
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    Thanks for your tip Headers 13, I shall try the heat gun furst!
  • Doo LM
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    I'd wondered about a round mirror too Laura, more the width of the fire perhaps so it wouldn't look top heavy.

My main worry is I'll miss the mantle to put 'pretties' on!
  • PRO
    inspirational fires & fireplaces
    vor 7 Jahren
    Hiya, bedroom combination casts are being used much more in living spaces giving a unique cosy feel and at the same time opening up the room space, I would definitely put a small hearth under the cast, usual materials used are granite or slate, and as suggested many places do made to measure hearths at very reasonable prices. Maybe try a feature wall paper to give the chimney a bit of character which would take away from you feeling its small, and as mentioned mirrors and pictures work great to, some pictures for you for inspiration.
  • Doo LM
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    Thank you Inspirational, you've given me more confidence it will look ok. Love both those images
  • Doo LM
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    So I've sent the fireplace to be sand blasted after not much luck with the Nitromors! Has anyone polished a fireplace rather than blacked it? Any advice for me please?
  • Doo LM
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Loving the silver colour! Should I have a go at polishing? Or blacken it?
  • Doo LM
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    We're really pleased with the result, worth the wait!
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.